Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 13, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #147,706 of 150,908
George Lazenby? Diana Rigg as femme fatale? no?
Lazenby story: In 1969 my uncle, a professional model and aspiring actor, was living/working in London. His sister, my mom, and my dad decide to make the big trip over the big pond to see London and brother. The day they are to arrive at Heathrow uncle has a modeling job so he asks his buddy George Lazenby if he would be willing to pick up his sister and brother-in-law at the airport. No problem mate, says George. This is before email and internet, etc. When they get home I ask how things went. Oh fine, my mom says, except Fred couldn’t pick us up at the airport and we were met by some scruffy unkempt man with his shirt unbuttoned down to his waist. We could hardly pick him out as he was holding this little hand scribbled sign. George Lazenby. Only my conservative upstate New York mother would find it offensive to be met at the airport by James Bond. I laughed out loud.

Apr 13, 2024 at 8:57 AM Post #147,707 of 150,908
My ex-wife's father bought a 1958 El Dorado Biarritz convertible in 1959 for 1K (original sale price was 7.4k before options, only 815 were made) from a dentist who was into the bookies, He owned a small jewelry store and the car was so pretentious that his customers used to bust his a$$ about making too much money. They lived in a typical 50's ranch and he had to cut 2 holes in the garage wall for the front fender bullets in order to close the garage door

I used to take my 2 sons and 3 friends, probably between 4 and 8 years old, for ice cream and they would all fit in the back seat. There was a radio station scanner button on the floor if i recall and an oncoming light detector on the dashboard to switch off the high-beams

She was offered over 100K for the car back in the 90s but turned it down and still has the car. Her and her sister have been restoring it (chrome bumpers are expensive to restore) and they still occasionally drive the car, they will probably never sell it, too many child-hood memories

This car is white with a black interior, here are some pics of this model

https://www.supercars.net/blog/1958-cadillac-eldorado-biarritz-gallery/

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #147,708 of 150,908
Seeing those pictures of the Texas hill country spring reminded me of our first spring with Young Bismarck (in the photo only 4 months) back in April of 2021…

Right in our yard (Wimberley).
Sniff, photo too large for server…
Maybe later when I can finger it out

Edit: Imgur Link? Bismark in BlueBonnets

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 9:29 AM Post #147,709 of 150,908
The approach that I take, personally, is that filters are the cure for a bad signal, but not for a bad transducer. I will use equalization to fix the recording and not to fix the playback system. If I can process something offline, destructively, in a digital editor, then an FIR filter is great because I don't care about latency. If I want to listen to a record or tape and I need to fix the tone, then an analog EQ is a whole lot more practical than transferring it to digital and fixing it there.

For any source with a microphone involved, there are already phase shifts coming from that first transducer in the recording chain, the mic itself. If the mix engineer turned one EQ knob on the desk, there's more. For a record, the RIAA stage in cutting added some, then the lathe's cutting head, then the cartridge, then the RIAA stage in my system, and then the speakers. None of these are perfectly flat, and they're all introducing some group delay.

It's not fair to say that every record is an example of "phase soup", but it's certainly fair to say that any recording that uses a microphone is provably affected by at least some small amount of group delay in comparison to the original sound in the room. If I can grab and turn a knob that adjusts an analog filter, then, sure, I'm creating more group delay at that point in the chain. But as I get closer to what it sounded like in the room (which is unknowable for me), I'm also undoing some group delay from previous parts of the chain. So, for me, it's not worth worrying about.

giphy.gif

Thank you for the bow on the end here, you took me on a wild ride of thinking I need to do something I don't understand to not having to worry about something I don't understand.

Apr 13, 2024 at 9:30 AM Post #147,710 of 150,908
Apr 13, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #147,711 of 150,908
Everybody can have their favorite Bond. But when it comes to the women, there is only one true queen: Sophie Marceau. 🤣

I always preferred Barbara Bach in The Spy Who Loved Me.😁IMG_7760.jpeg

Apr 13, 2024 at 9:44 AM Post #147,712 of 150,908
Apr 13, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #147,713 of 150,908
Some of you may like this... it's audio related but I figured it would be OK to post here... :wave::stuck_out_tongue:

This is a revised crossover for a Merlin Music Systems VSM speaker. "Revised", as in, "transformative"... not just "upgrading parts".
  • Duelund CAST PP Capacitors
  • Duelund CAST Resistors
  • Goertz Copper Foil Inductors
Bypass caps for woofer and tweeter will be added (clipped in with copper clips so they can be fiddled with). Those will be Duelund CAST PIO .1uF capacitors.

I like 2-way speakers...

Image 4-13-24 at 9.21 AM.jpg

Image 4-13-24 at 10.09 AM.jpg

6bbe77fe-4a93-46c6-b14e-5b482e225fd2.jpg

IMG_8684.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #147,715 of 150,908
Some might say an unbridled Mustang is a ludicrous pun. Not me tho... I'd never horse around with important marketing terms. 🤣
A Mustang being "Unbridled" makes more sense than a Tesla being "Ludicrous." Or maybe not, now that I think about it...

Apr 13, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #147,716 of 150,908
Finally back in Texas! We spent the past few days driving back (bringing cars and tortoises as part of the move, LOL).

I'll have an announcement tomorrow. Not a giant deal in the grand scheme of things, but, well, a giant deal literally. We'll get to the former later this year.
Schiit is acquiring the San Francisco Giants? And renaming them the Schiits?

Apr 13, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #147,717 of 150,908
A Mustang being "Unbridled" makes more sense than a Tesla being "Ludicrous." Or maybe not, now that I think about it...
I wonder if gas Mustangs and Camaros have a "Cars and Coffee" setting that facilitates loss of control.

Apr 13, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #147,719 of 150,908
Everybody can have their favorite Bond. But when it comes to the women, there is only one true queen: Sophie Marceau. 🤣

1713014977449.png
You're not often wrong, sir. But when you are, you really are.

1713019858500.png

Tomorrow Never Dies is the most underrated Bond movie of them all. It has the best Bond actor, the most kick-ass Bond girl of them all, one of the very few non-ugly BMWs as the Bond car, one of the better Q scenes of the franchise, great practical effects, and one of the last actually good and well-recorded Bond soundtracks and Sheryl Crow absolutely nailing the mood of the movie.
It's so good, in fact, that I can almost ignore Teri Hatcher and her abysmal acting that's even more hammy in this movie than it usually is.

But with all that debate about the best Bond actor or Bond girl, one thing I'm sure there can't be any debate over:
Christoph Waltz is the best Bond villain, period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back