Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 11, 2024 at 10:09 AM Post #147,406 of 151,031
Not many, but quality makes up for quantity :ksc75smile: Back when I taught intro computer science, I would play a different music track at the start of each lecture for that period when the kids are shuffling in. Traditionally, I would play the following for the lecture just before Halloween

Oh man, fantastic music! And such a joy to watch it be performed, though a bit bewildering, too. Pianists really are a breed apart in the skillz department.

I would think you were the coolest professor ever if I walked into your classroom with that music playing.

It reminds me of when Polyphony Digital used Prokofiev's Piano Sonata No. 6 in the intro to Gran Turismo 5, and I have always wondered how many hip-hop or emo-pop listening kids discovered a fascination with Classical music because of that. I have to imagine it was more than a few.

It's also a hell of a cool video showing all the manufacturing that happens before a car even starts to be built.

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #147,407 of 151,031
The 2002 is a classic. And if you want to switch continents, so is this (one of my faves):

IMG_7751.jpeg

Mine, it had just been repainted and the wire wheels went back on later. I drove it for seven years and sold it for just $200 less than I paid for it.

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #147,408 of 151,031
I was born in 1958. I've ordered a 1958 GE 5670 5-Star 3-mica black plate tube for my still-unopened Vali 3, for $20. We'll see how that goes. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
1958 is when some of the coolest people on earth were born. 🤣 🤣

Have a '58 396A in Vali 3 right now. But I can't say I like it better than a '50's triple mica Foton 6N3P. Different sound to be sure. May change my mind with different 'phones.

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #147,409 of 151,031
Apr 11, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #147,410 of 151,031
When I was working I purchased my cars and drove them into the ground. When I retired I started leasing and never looked back. No more maintenance costs, no more worries about what might break next.

Something new every two or three years. What's not to like.
Um, the monthly payment? 🤣

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #147,411 of 151,031
Genesis' "A Trick of the Tail" on yellow vinyl

Dead silent LP surface, and a really great recording. Highly recommended!!!

IMG_1793.jpeg

Plus it looks cool too. <g>
Nice cartridge!!!

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #147,412 of 151,031
IMG_7751.jpeg

Mine, it had just been repainted and the wire wheels went back on later. I drove it for seven years and sold it for just $200 less than I paid for it.
Nice! Too bad you don't still have it now. You could sell it for $20k more than you paid. :laughing:

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #147,413 of 151,031
Oh man, fantastic music! And such a joy to watch it be performed, though a bit bewildering, too. Pianists really are a breed apart in the skillz department.

I would think you were the coolest professor ever if I walked into your classroom with that music playing.

It reminds me of when Polyphony Digital used Prokofiev's Piano Sonata No. 6 in the intro to Gran Turismo 5, and I have always wondered how many hip-hop or emo-pop listening kids discovered a fascination with Classical music because of that. I have to imagine it was more than a few.

It's also a hell of a cool video showing all the manufacturing that happens before a car even starts to be built.

Speaking of "coolest ever":

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #147,415 of 151,031
Thanks. So I was born in 1949. I’m optimally looking to buy a turbe that was “born” not that long after I was and has sat on a warehouse shelf for around 70 years!
How hard can it be, right?
I used to drive a London Taxi (FX3) that was born the same year as I was. Rod brakes and no synchro is what I remember...........

Apr 11, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #147,416 of 151,031
I know I'll pay a little more up front each month for the pleasure and relative peace of mind of a new warrantied car but that will be a fixed number worked into the budget instead of the random and potentially prohibitively high cost of random repair surprises. I dislike those.
Exactly. The ability to have the latest automotive tech in my garage, under warranty, makes leasing the best deal for me. Plus, I can write some of it off for business use.

When people say "I always pay cash for my cars", I know that they don't understand depreciation. If I was a Tesla owner who bought a Model Y for $67K, I'd be totally PO'ed after the price cuts and the nearly asymptotic one-year depreciation.

Apr 11, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #147,417 of 151,031
Exactly. The ability to have the latest automotive tech in my garage, under warranty, makes leasing the best deal for me. Plus, I can write some of it off for business use.

When people say "I always pay cash for my cars", I know that they don't understand depreciation. If I was a Tesla owner who bought a Model Y for $67K, I'd be totally PO'ed after the price cuts and the nearly asymptotic one-year depreciation.
I have a 2006 Suzuki GSX-R600 sportbike that I bought new. Just out of warranty it developed a fault in the charging system (different from the alternator of a car) that grounded the bike. After a $1000+ repair bill, I discovered that it was a common occurrence on the '06 & '07 models that Suzuki ultimately caught, covered, and corrected on the '08 models but never retro-covered for the previous years. Lame!

And of course it failed again because the same faulty oem parts were used for the repair, so this time I did a bunch of research and found a third party part utilizing different technology that didn't overheat and fail prematurely and then just did the work myself using a couple of really good YouTube videos - a little dodgy because I had to open the crankcase and do two new seals and stuff. But it was successful, cost a little over $250 all in and took part of a day. It never failed again. 👍🏻

Apr 11, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #147,418 of 151,031
Nice! Too bad you don't still have it now. You could sell it for $20k more than you paid. :laughing:
Same with the 74 Dodge Challenger I owned but you cannot keep such things forever. Or I could not anyway. :beerchug:

Apr 11, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #147,419 of 151,031
No car is built well these days and I hate constant repair bills just to keep an older car running.
I’ll just throw my hat in the ring here (and out myself as rather boring), but buying mostly Hyundai & Kia over the past couple decades, I’ve had zero major repairs. Sure, the occasional errant warning light or blinker issue, and there are often recalls but those seem more like an abundance of caution and never required a dime or more than a few hours in the shop.

I briefly owned a Volvo wagon in that time and hoo boy I got to know my mechanic well. Loved that car though.

Apr 11, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #147,420 of 151,031
I was going to stay out of this because I've never owned a BMW, but I think the R90/6 is by far and away the best looking Bimmer ever offered for sale to the public.

BMW-R90S-Right-Side-1.jpg

Followed (possibly) by the 2002.

1972_bmw_2002_ny.jpg

Ah yes…Those BMWs (and other really small cars) were gorgeous and light enough for me to pick up and rotate to sideways in parking spaces. I really like to orange color as it was easy to spot. The Beemer I never bothered with. Except to stand and admire them. The car received the same attention from me but usually just prior to rotating it. Those Honda 600 cars were the easiest and I liked them too. Just not as much as BMWs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back