Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 10, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #147,271 of 150,704
And tonights Jazz recommendation is...

1000005333.jpg

Got caught-uo in the UConn / Perdue game and failed to post yesterday.
I know the Boilermakers lost, but would just like to clarify: Perdue is a chicken company. Purdue is a University. :)

Apr 10, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #147,272 of 150,704
I know the Boilermakers lost, but would just like to clarify: Perdue is a chicken company. Purdue is a University. :)
I hesitated when typing, but thought WTH, someone will mention it if I guessed wrong. :D

** I was pulling for Purdue, BTW. :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #147,273 of 150,704
Of things distilled...
Spent the weekend down in Tasmania (for you northern hemispere folks, it's the little island off the bottom of SE Australia) for a family birthday this weekend past. Had a couple of hours to kill before the flight back to the mainland and found out about a distillery right there on the airport grounds. Well, what to do?

Turns out the day was a celebration of sorts for the distillery mascot - Angus, the West Highland Terrier was 16!
And he had a cask ready to go to bottle (Cask #5 of this series for Angus, 50.4% ABV)
And you could bottle it, label it, fill out the tax paperwork etc yourself.

Couldn't resist.
Bottle number 1 was for the distillery display ... Bottle Number 2 is mine!

IMG_4130.jpgIMG_4131.jpg

https://launcestondistillery.com.au/
Awesome! I love bottle-yourself programs.

Apr 10, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #147,274 of 150,704
Milliamps of current. But without knowing which tester it is and how recently calibrated, those values are mainly for infotainment. Even still the sections are not well-balanced for NOS, but likely not audible. What's the asking price for the '85?

Short answer: you don't. Long answer, it depends on the tester, its condition and calibration. Ask @bcowen to test it for you. If it's really good, he might let you visit it on weekends. That's why it's not a bad thing to purchase from a seller with a good rep and return policy. And never send your tubes to @bcowen for testing. :joy:

Oh boy... generally, earlier is better with most tubes. Early production was Q/A'd more stringently by the engineers, later production runs were generally more stringently monitored by the cost accountants.

In the WE 396A my preference is production from the 50s and 60s. Getting NOS of that vintage is rare and worse... pricey. However, a good used tube of that era can be both a good deal and offer hundreds, even thousands of hours of enjoyment in the Vali.

Tube life becomes less of a concern once one hoards collects and rolls many tubes. 396A is a great tube, but so is the RCA Command 5670, TS 2C51, 6CC42, GE 5-Star 5670, Bendix 6385 and 50s-60s 6N3P. To name just a few. :ksc75smile:
TubeWorldExpress is asking $99 for it. Thanks for the other tube recommendations!

Apr 10, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #147,275 of 150,704
Oh boy... generally, earlier is better with most tubes. Early production was Q/A'd more stringently by the engineers, later production runs were generally more stringently monitored by the cost accountants.
I am not doubting you, just want to know if you have a good source for this statement. I've heard it many times, but haven't heard much in the way of factual support.

Apr 10, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #147,276 of 150,704
Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 23.28.44.png

Apr 10, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #147,277 of 150,704
I've read that AES is technically just S/PDIF, too. Is that wrong?
People will tell you something to the effect that it's pretty much the same thing, which is true. The idea was that they ought to be similar enough that you could use the same chips to implement an interface for either one. There are some differences in the data, and the physical connections are different, with different impedances and connectors. There's no standard specification for S/PDIF on a balanced XLR connection, for example, or for AES on an optical cable.

Apr 10, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #147,278 of 150,704
Bottled In Bond refers to U.S. government regulations under which a spirit must be made in order to qualify as such. Fun fact, the Bottled In Bond act of 1897 was the very first piece of food-based legislation in the U.S. and it helped combat fraudulent whiskey makers by guaranteeing that a whiskey was produced authentically by a government-bonded distillery and without additives of any kind (such as alternative alcohols or tobacco spit - a real problem of that era!)

Single Barrel refers to the bottling of an aged spirit where the entire bottling run of a stated batch came from a single barrel and was not blended with any other spirit, even that of its same type.

🤓
Thank you!

Apr 10, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #147,279 of 150,704
.... en francaise: Purdue a perdu le championnat NCAA .... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Apr 10, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #147,281 of 150,704
Apr 10, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #147,282 of 150,704
Apr 10, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #147,283 of 150,704
Way disagree, I love this style. The M Coupe is also a blast to drive. Back in the day, I took a drive with the wife for charity event where you could test drive BMWs. Engine is lovely.
The most lovely part of any BMW is its engine. Second is the chassis. Styling varies as we have stated but those motors are simply amazing. They have taken the straight-6 IC motor design so far that Mercedes had to revive their straight-6 program (with the M256) to compete...

The straight-6 is an inherently beautiful design, packaging issues notwithstanding.

Apr 10, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #147,284 of 150,704
Nice!

And now a shift to what the heck was the car industry thinking?

Why the HECK are most of the EV manufacters self-identifying their EVs as such by making them butt-ugly angular and straight lines?

Not that I am in the EV market, so talking strictly about all the non Tesla's I see on the road. So very IMO.

More conservative has higher probability of not falling out of style. Classic lines of a 911 vs an obnoxious eclipse or testa rossa cheese grater. Sign me up for a swoopy 308 (magnum pi) or 360.

Or getting back to a schiit like made in USA: Shelby Cobra, even a kit car will always look good IMO.
There aren't many EVs which appeal to me.
The forthcoming MG 'Cyberster' looks pretty good though:
https://www.mg.co.uk/new-cars/mg-cyberster

There is also a company in the UK called Lunaz which 'upcycles' classic cars, such as Aston Martins, Bentleys and Jags with electric motors after restoring the body and chassis.
Expensive though!
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money...rtin-DB6-EV-conversion-costing-excess-1m.html

Putting electric motors in classic cars certainly polarises opinion here in the UK
Some love the idea; some think it's sacrilege.

I'm in the latter camp :beyersmile:

Edit: I read today that the Chairman of Aston Martin is bucking the trend in the automotive industry, by saying that the company will continue to produce V8 and V12 petrol engines for as long as they are allowed to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back