Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 8, 2024 at 2:30 AM Post #147,061 of 150,188
IMG_9432.jpeg

Apr 8, 2024 at 6:33 AM Post #147,063 of 150,188
Saw one of those today.
It's even uglier in person than it is in photos. I sincerely expected the opposite to be the case.
Evidently, there's at least one person who thought it's worth a lease. You can't argue taste, I guess… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
yep - truly ' gopping '

Apr 8, 2024 at 7:11 AM Post #147,064 of 150,188
Whelp… Looks like the eclipse arrives before 10K posts! Per Jason’ instructions, I’m “having a life today” and chasing said eclipse. We’ve about a 180 mile drive ahead of us (leaving after I finish my morning coffee). Got the Lunt HA/Solar Scope packed. Couple of tripods for cameras. Filters. Food. Water. All the usual astronomy doo-dads. Been 7 years since my last totality, can’t wait.

It’ll be interesting to see what King Bismarck thinks of it (if at all).

Praying the roads won’t be TOO insane (it took us 19 hours to drive on I81 from Tennessee to Hagerstown MD in 2017; normally more like around an 8-10 hour drive. But, there were no good back road alternatives there; this is New Hampshire, and backroads freaking everyw
yep - truly ' gopping '
Whelp…. Glad to be wrong that the eclipse came before 10K pages here! Following Jason’s advice and having a real life in the real world today. Leaving momentarily on a 180 mile (hopefully only 3.5 hours) drive to where we’ll be experiencing totality of the eclipse (far Northern NH). All the astronomy stuffs are packed including solar scope various eyepieces and filters. A few tripods and two of my full-frame Nikons (one will be doing wide angle video/sound recording), the solar glasses/films, binoculars, etc… cooler for lunch and dinner… food/water for Bismarck.

Expecting epic traffic coming home (at least at first before we can bail onto country roads; it helps we are not anywhere near the major routes down to the big cities - I can cut “cross country” on minor roads a lot (ones that wouldn’t help anyone trying to bypass freeway traffic because they don’t ultimately go where the highways do…). NH is weird, there are almost NO “east-west” highways, but metric tons of ones that vaguely go North-South in multiple variants. (Kinda think of spokes emanating from Boston).

Apr 8, 2024 at 7:33 AM Post #147,066 of 150,188
Whelp… Looks like the eclipse arrives before 10K posts! Per Jason’ instructions, I’m “having a life today” and chasing said eclipse. We’ve about a 180 mile drive ahead of us (leaving after I finish my morning coffee). Got the Lunt HA/Solar Scope packed. Couple of tripods for cameras. Filters. Food. Water. All the usual astronomy doo-dads. Been 7 years since my last totality, can’t wait.

It’ll be interesting to see what King Bismarck thinks of it (if at all).

Praying the roads won’t be TOO insane (it took us 19 hours to drive on I81 from Tennessee to Hagerstown MD in 2017; normally more like around an 8-10 hour drive. But, there were no good back road alternatives there; this is New Hampshire, and backroads freaking everyw

Whelp…. Glad to be wrong that the eclipse came before 10K pages here! Following Jason’s advice and having a real life in the real world today. Leaving momentarily on a 180 mile (hopefully only 3.5 hours) drive to where we’ll be experiencing totality of the eclipse (far Northern NH). All the astronomy stuffs are packed including solar scope various eyepieces and filters. A few tripods and two of my full-frame Nikons (one will be doing wide angle video/sound recording), the solar glasses/films, binoculars, etc… cooler for lunch and dinner… food/water for Bismarck.

Expecting epic traffic coming home (at least at first before we can bail onto country roads; it helps we are not anywhere near the major routes down to the big cities - I can cut “cross country” on minor roads a lot (ones that wouldn’t help anyone trying to bypass freeway traffic because they don’t ultimately go where the highways do…). NH is weird, there are almost NO “east-west” highways, but metric tons of ones that vaguely go North-South in multiple variants. (Kinda think of spokes emanating from Boston).

Good luck, safe driving, and clear skies! My home is just outside the edge of the line of totality. I'll be driving 35 KM to a friend's hobby farm. Cloud is moving in, but we should have high thin cloud when the eclipse peaks.

Apr 8, 2024 at 9:29 AM Post #147,068 of 150,188
Apr 8, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #147,069 of 150,188
I dunno if you do much with headphones, @OldRoadToad? I succumbed to the pretty and ordered these Aiva off eBay.

No VU meters but man! those details....

Apr 8, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #147,072 of 150,188
High of 75 f here today and clear skies for the eclipse. Finnegan is already outside sampling the different chairs that guests will use. :ksc75smile:

Apr 8, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #147,073 of 150,188
Off to look at a car or three with my wife this morning. I've confirmed that the ones we're looking at have decent audio systems (priorities...). Alas, my dear and ever-practical wife has shot down the Jaguar (something something impractical i.e. too-small cargo space, :poop: mileage. Lovely interior, though and great towing capacity). Whatever we get needs to be able to carry a couple of medium-large dog crates + luggage and canine agility things-and-stuff, and/or a large telescope or 3. A Suburban is a touch too big with really lousy mileage :xf_wink:.

Buying Schiit is so much more fun: click-click <enter some info> click, wait for the delivery truck 4 days later. No leaving the house required.
Back in my college days in the mid-80's, there was a guy who had a farm just outside of town (now almost in the middle of town :unamused:) who had a Jag of some flavor with the license plate "NOWIFE". Always felt that was somewhat appropriate. :smile:

Apr 8, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #147,075 of 150,188
Toyota Highlander hybrid. Wouldn't steer you wrong. :)
I've been looking at more expensive options since I sold the Impala, but in reality I'll probably end up with something like this,
when it's time to replace the prius (still going strong after 16 years). I need more room for upcoming house and farm projects.
If I buy something less expensive , I'll be able to buy some more Schiit. Might have to take another at the mazda cx series tho.

I hope everyone in the eclipse path gets clear skies .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back