Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 7, 2024 at 12:39 AM Post #147,031 of 150,878
Just got back from a week skiing in Tahoe (it was very good for April, actually) and I've been catching up with new (jazz-y) music. Here's the latest, quite unlike anything I've heard in a long while. Available on Bandcamp and Qobuz. If you like funky, dense, surprising, this is for you. Perfect for Mjolnir 3>Caldera.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 5:30 AM Post #147,034 of 150,878
A'ight, I'm spinning Donald Byrd's 'Royal Flush' at work while I wait for my work homies to make their Single Barrel selections and I'm curious:

Who is everyone's most favoritest trumpeter?

Five-year-ago Me would have instantly answered Miles Davis* and then drawn a blank on anyone else, but that was before a friend introduced me properly (via original pressing Blue Note records he spun on a custom VPI 'table with a Soundsmith cart) to the Blue Note Records roster of legends.

Now my foremost answer has to be Lee Morgan. Every note he blows is sublimity itself. He is the lone atom at the tip of the tip of the spear of history's trumpet blowers, in my mind.

Secondary and tertiary choices, if I was forced to, might be Byrd followed by Hubbard. Maybe.

Anyway, I'm all ears!

*I still adore Miles Davis but for me he exists on another plain from everyone else and not solely because of his blowing skills on a trumpet. His greatness lies, in my view, on his overall style and the impact he had on jazz (and fusion) itself over many eons. Hell, he pretty much directly created many of those eons himself just through the force of his will! He will always be goat for that, but not necessarily for the way he worked a trumpet. IN MY OPINION, of course. :)
Don Ellis, Maynard Furgeson, Doc Sevrenson, Tina Thing Helsing, Clark Terry, Harry James, Herb Alpert, Maurice Andre, Arturo Sandoval, Chuck Mangione, Bill Chase, Wynton Marsalis, many others I can’t come up with off the top of my head. Miles is so often mentioned you’d think he invented the trumpet. I’m not knocking him, but there are so many excellent trumpeters! I personally enjoy big bands and larger ensembles, which are so hard to keep together, and the many trumpeters who fronted them in the past, and the few who continue today.

Apr 7, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #147,035 of 150,878
I picked this up yesterday. Musical references to Rush and Gentle Giant? It made my lil’ prog loving heart flutter!

IMG_4309.jpeg

I'll definitely check that out!

If you like Rush-like prog, check out these hugely talented Canadian unabashed Rush fans, who have been personally blessed by Alex Lifeson. Crown Lands:

Apr 7, 2024 at 9:22 AM Post #147,037 of 150,878
It doesn't appear that you can pass through to an amp.
As you know, in a small system utilizing a x-over in a subwoofer will improve your sound everywhere. Let us know what you decide to do, and please review the results. :smiley_cat:

Apr 7, 2024 at 9:34 AM Post #147,038 of 150,878
Apr 7, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #147,040 of 150,878
.... then there is Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash by the Pogues .... IMG_7725.jpeg[from a Sir Winston Churchill quote concerning the Royal Navy]
Speaking of rum (in album titles)...
040724tales.jpg

Must confess I've never heard the album, but some of my favorite cover art ever.
(Does that make me shallow?)

Apr 7, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #147,043 of 150,878
IMG_7740.jpeg
🎼 😀 🎶 👍

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #147,044 of 150,878
Speaking of rum (in album titles)...

Must confess I've never heard the album, but some of my favorite cover art ever.
(Does that make me shallow?)
Looks like it would be the bottle art for a thicc rum barrel-aged barleywine. And I'd totally buy it based on the art. 😂

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #147,045 of 150,878
wow, you're trying to sell or trade the Nissan? Sorry to hear that.
We are still pondering a Bolt - Hertz are selling warrantied with 5-15K miles for circa $20K. That seems like a good eal to me and when Carvana were offering $5K that would have been a no brainer. Then they sent a series of emails at progressively lower offers, the last one $500.

The Bolt deal still seems worthwhile, though we are waiting for a repair (someone scraped the Nissan) before we can do anything.

We shall see if it gets trade or sold independently......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back