Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 4, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #146,762 of 151,397
Apr 4, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #146,763 of 151,397
I love that Schiit went all in and crafted three different great EQ's for different needs and different stacks, all with prime quality by all accounts. I think for my more budgetary headphone stack requirements, Loki Mini makes the most sense. As I acquire and dial in my full speaker system down the road (where are those danged Money Trees?!), a Loki Max makes awesome sense. We're so spoiled for choice!
Schiit EQs can fix a lot of ills, that's for sure.

Apr 4, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #146,764 of 151,397
My favorite trumpet player is my son.🤪🤪

I am using up some materials to make a five shelf mini rack for @Moondog55. I happened upon some amazing dark tiger maple for shelf supports. Combined with light tiger maple and lacewood. This should be pretty spiffy when done. IMG_7690.jpeg

Apr 4, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #146,765 of 151,397

I am using up some materials to make a five shelf mini rack for @Moondog55. I happened upon some amazing dark tiger maple for shelf supports. Combined with light tiger maple and lacewood. This should be pretty spiffy when done.IMG_7690.jpeg
I am anxiously awaiting to hear how it sounds.

Apr 4, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #146,766 of 151,397
Chief Xian aTunde Adjuah

In the classic realm, I do love Kenny Dorham, Lee Morgan, and Donald Byrd.
I second this. Any of the albums by Chief Xian aTunde Adjuah. I’m a HUGE fan of his earlier albums under the different names he used. Really amazing unique stuff. I keep coming back over and over to him.

Apr 4, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #146,767 of 151,397
Apr 4, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #146,768 of 151,397
A'ight, I'm spinning Donald Byrd's 'Royal Flush' at work while I wait for my work homies to make their Single Barrel selections and I'm curious:

Who is everyone's most favoritest trumpeter?

Five-year-ago Me would have instantly answered Miles Davis* and then drawn a blank on anyone else, but that was before a friend introduced me properly (via original pressing Blue Note records he spun on a custom VPI 'table with a Soundsmith cart) to the Blue Note Records roster of legends.

Now my foremost answer has to be Lee Morgan. Every note he blows is sublimity itself. He is the lone atom at the tip of the tip of the spear of history's trumpet blowers, in my mind.

Secondary and tertiary choices, if I was forced to, might be Byrd followed by Hubbard. Maybe.

Anyway, I'm all ears!

*I still adore Miles Davis but for me he exists on another plain from everyone else and not solely because of his blowing skills on a trumpet. His greatness lies, in my view, on his overall style and the impact he had on jazz (and fusion) itself over many eons. Hell, he pretty much directly created many of those eons himself just through the force of his will! He will always be goat for that, but not necessarily for the way he worked a trumpet. IN MY OPINION, of course. :)
Roy Hargrove. He's another one that left us too soon.

Apr 4, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #146,769 of 151,397
A'ight, I'm spinning Donald Byrd's 'Royal Flush' at work while I wait for my work homies to make their Single Barrel selections and I'm curious:

Five-year-ago Me would have instantly answered Miles Davis* and then drawn a blank on anyone else, but that was before a friend introduced me properly (via original pressing Blue Note records he spun on a custom VPI 'table with a Soundsmith cart) to the Blue Note Records roster of legends.

Now my foremost answer has to be Lee Morgan. Every note he blows is sublimity itself. He is the lone atom at the tip of the tip of the spear of history's trumpet blowers, in my mind.

Secondary and tertiary choices, if I was forced to, might be Byrd followed by Hubbard. Maybe.

Anyway, I'm all ears!

*I still adore Miles Davis but for me he exists on another plain from everyone else and not solely because of his blowing skills on a trumpet. His greatness lies, in my view, on his overall style and the impact he had on jazz (and fusion) itself over many eons. Hell, he pretty much directly created many of those eons himself just through the force of his will! He will always be goat for that, but not necessarily for the way he worked a trumpet. IN MY OPINION, of course. :)
What? No one has mentioned Wynton Marsalis?

Apr 4, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #146,770 of 151,397
To de-clutter my (work in progress) cave, I decided a few months ago to only have one headphone amp. After much swapping and listening I’ve still got three (four, if counting the one built into the dac). 🙂

I only NEED one, but WANT three!
I've come to terms I have to own at least 4 headphone amps all the time it seems ! Technically 6 if you count hip dac 3 and qudelix 5k

Apr 4, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #146,771 of 151,397

Anyway, I'm all ears!

Greg Adams and Miles.

Apr 4, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #146,772 of 151,397

I am using up some materials to make a five shelf mini rack for @Moondog55. I happened upon some amazing dark tiger maple for shelf supports. Combined with light tiger maple and lacewood. This should be pretty spiffy when done.IMG_7690.jpeg
looking forward to what surely will be a gorgeous end result.

Apr 4, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #146,773 of 151,397
I recently got a used Yggi OG and have it hooked up to an Audio-GD HE9LE headphone amp. I LOVE the combo. It’s huge but it’s glorious. What are some albums that you Yggi OG owners listen to that make you deeply love that dac? Most anything I listen to on it I love but I’m more curious what you all who have owned an OG for a while lean into whenever you listen. I’m not genre specific, really anything that you all feels is especially suited for that dac.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #146,774 of 151,397
Here's a question on tubes: I have some headphones and I want to try tubes: do I go for a Valhalla 2, a Vali 3, or wait for Valhalla 3? Put a different way, should my first tube product be a hybrid or otl (or otl/ocl) product?
It also depends on your headphones. I loved my Valhalla 2 with my ZMFs, it's ideal for mid to high impedance dynamic drivers. I'd pick it over Vali any day. But not ideal for your Audeze, so it depends... Hybrids are more versatile.
Starting with a Thorens if all goes well. Then something from the early days of stereo tables but I do not want to talk about that one yet.🤪 Down the road I will get into more specifics but I believe some of you know I can probably build a plinth. The Skoll should be a good addition to a setup with a Freya + and Cary SLA 70 MK 2 and Lokius. I also have this beast but I want Skoll’s remote capabilities.
Wow, I haven't seen one of these in a while! It still works? I had one back in the day! Carver made some great stuff, I miss them! Carver was kind of like Schiit in its day, very good/high value gear.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #146,775 of 151,397
It also depends on your headphones. I loved my Valhalla 2 with my ZMFs, it's ideal for mid to high impedance dynamic drivers. I'd pick it over Vali any day. But not ideal for your Audeze, so it depends... Hybrids are more versatile.

Wow, I haven't seen one of these in a while! It still works? I had one back in the day! Carver made some great stuff, I miss them! Carver was kind of like Schiit in its day, very good/high value gear.
Still works, I had to clean the pots and switches, but no major repairs needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back