Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 4, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #146,746 of 151,801
So, for folk with pups…

This is what happens when one is in the midst of a two-day long Nor’Easter blizzard (yes, in freaking April).

Your pup gets “Ice balls”, that one on his left front paw is almost tennis ball sized…

Ah well, anything that ensures that MONDAY is clear so the eclipse is visible is worth it, no matter how much I hate heavy wet snow this late in the season.

IMG_1254.jpeg

Apr 4, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #146,747 of 151,801
A'ight, I'm spinning Donald Byrd's 'Royal Flush' at work while I wait for my work homies to make their Single Barrel selections and I'm curious:

Who is everyone's most favoritest trumpeter?

Five-year-ago Me would have instantly answered Miles Davis* and then drawn a blank on anyone else, but that was before a friend introduced me properly (via original pressing Blue Note records he spun on a custom VPI 'table with a Soundsmith cart) to the Blue Note Records roster of legends.

Now my foremost answer has to be Lee Morgan. Every note he blows is sublimity itself. He is the lone atom at the tip of the tip of the spear of history's trumpet blowers, in my mind.

Secondary and tertiary choices, if I was forced to, might be Byrd followed by Hubbard. Maybe.

Anyway, I'm all ears!

*I still adore Miles Davis but for me he exists on another plain from everyone else and not solely because of his blowing skills on a trumpet. His greatness lies, in my view, on his overall style and the impact he had on jazz (and fusion) itself over many eons. Hell, he pretty much directly created many of those eons himself just through the force of his will! He will always be goat for that, but not necessarily for the way he worked a trumpet. IN MY OPINION, of course. :)

Apr 4, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #146,748 of 151,801
A'ight, I'm spinning Donald Byrd's 'Royal Flush' at work while I wait for my work homies to make their Single Barrel selections and I'm curious:

Five-year-ago Me would have instantly answered Miles Davis* and then drawn a blank on anyone else, but that was before a friend introduced me properly (via original pressing Blue Note records he spun on a custom VPI 'table with a Soundsmith cart) to the Blue Note Records roster of legends.

Now my foremost answer has to be Lee Morgan. Every note he blows is sublimity itself. He is the lone atom at the tip of the tip of the spear of history's trumpet blowers, in my mind.

Secondary and tertiary choices, if I was forced to, might be Byrd followed by Hubbard. Maybe.

Anyway, I'm all ears!

*I still adore Miles Davis but for me he exists on another plain from everyone else and not solely because of his blowing skills on a trumpet. His greatness lies, in my view, on his overall style and the impact he had on jazz (and fusion) itself over many eons. Hell, he pretty much directly created many of those eons himself just through the force of his will! He will always be goat for that, but not necessarily for the way he worked a trumpet. IN MY OPINION, of course. :)
For me, that would have to be Till Brönner.

Apr 4, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #146,749 of 151,801
I think there's a little too much focus on "getting to 10,000 (pages in this thread)."

Again, relax. Reflect on the fact that you only live 30,000 days or so before worrying about getting this thread to 10,000 pages. Get out. Go hiking. See your family. Take a trip. Meet new people. Do something you've never done before. Learn a new skill. Try a new hobby. Say hello to actual humans. Sit and enjoy a beer without poking at your phone. It's OK.

Not every post has to be weighty and meaningful, but, well, maybe some should be.
I’m taking bongo lessons over the internet from a man in Columbia.

Apr 4, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #146,750 of 151,801
To de-clutter my (work in progress) cave, I decided a few months ago to only have one headphone amp. After much swapping and listening I’ve still got three (four, if counting the one built into the dac). 🙂

I only NEED one, but WANT three!

Attachments

• IMG_1374.jpeg
    IMG_1374.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1375.jpeg
    IMG_1375.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Apr 4, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #146,751 of 151,801

Anyway, I'm all ears!

Satchmo, Satch, Pops, Louis Daniel Armstrong

Apr 4, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #146,752 of 151,801
I love that Schiit went all in and crafted three different great EQ's for different needs and different stacks, all with prime quality by all accounts. I think for my more budgetary headphone stack requirements, Loki Mini makes the most sense. As I acquire and dial in my full speaker system down the road (where are those danged Money Trees?!), a Loki Max makes awesome sense. We're so spoiled for choice!

I wholeheartedly agree. The EQ lineup is very well thought out.

It's pretty impressive what you can achieve on a budget with a mid-range set of dynamic headphones and a Loki.

Apr 4, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #146,753 of 151,801
Troy Andrews aka Trombone Shorty. Most know him for his New Orleans style funk/jazz/soul but his album released under the Troy Andrews Quintet is worth a listen. Might be hard to find.

IMG_0232.jpeg

Apr 4, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #146,755 of 151,801

Anyway, I'm all ears!

Chief Xian aTunde Adjuah

In the classic realm, I do love Kenny Dorham, Lee Morgan, and Donald Byrd.

Apr 4, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #146,757 of 151,801
Honestly, a lot of trumpets hurt my ears. I think that's what I like about Christian Scott (easier than copy/pasting his new name every time). He said the same, and makes his own instruments. Fun fact, if you've watched Treme, the chief's son is based on him, and he also makes a cameo. Such an amazing and authentic artist.

Apr 4, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #146,758 of 151,801
Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #146,759 of 151,801
I believe that the Sys does work in reverse this way but I haven’t tried it to confirm.

Confirmed. I have a Piety and an Asgard 3 connected this way.

Edit: Ninja'd by @Ripper2860!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back