Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 1, 2024 at 8:43 PM Post #146,341 of 152,853
Does your Aegir 1 constantly trip protection but at higher volume levels? I am trying follow what you are saying. We are talking 30 watts RMS per channel into 8 ohms with an improved protection circuit.
No, it’s actually the Aegir 2 that’s tripping protection at lower volume than the Aegir 1. That’s what surprised me,

Apr 1, 2024 at 8:54 PM Post #146,342 of 152,853
Just finished reading the review of the Skoll on the Tracking Angle website. Fremer could not use the balanced input. Anyone using the Skoll and having the same problem using the balanced inputs?
No issues for me, but I don't have any balanced inputs from my TT. Only single ended input and then I use balanced outputs to Freya N. Skoll works amazingly for what I need it to do!

Apr 1, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #146,343 of 152,853
That’s Ole Oleson. He’s a good boy. My best bud died in October of 2023 and I don’t think I will ever get over it. Thankfully we had Ole to soften the blow.
Ole is a gem! And so sorry to hear of your loss. You planning on getting Ole a new friend? I'm not sure what will happen when one of our two moves on. 5 years apart, one from a shelter in CA and the other from a shelter in NC, and they are inseparable. Where one is, the other is. Nearly always.

Apr 1, 2024 at 9:01 PM Post #146,344 of 152,853
Just finished reading the review of the Skoll on the Tracking Angle website. Fremer could not use the balanced input. Anyone using the Skoll and having the same problem using the balanced inputs?
Interestingly there was this in the comments section, though yeah if the speaker cones are behaving the way he describes when using the balanced ins it's concerning:

"While I have no doubt your speakers moved in and out, [attributing] that to DC doesn't make any sense. DC is a constant while the speakers were obviously getting something other than constant or they wouldn't be moving. It also seems highly, very highly, unlikely that the unit doesn't have any capacitors in the signal path that would block any DC, and besides a cartridge is incapable of generating DC so once again, whatever was going on it was not 'passing DC' because you weren't inputting any DC. More likely some subsonic feedback either physical or electronic that may or may not have been an issue with the phono stage."

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 9:04 PM Post #146,345 of 152,853
"I tried really, really hard to like this. But in the end, I could only give it one star in my latest pillow review."

Cookie Water Bowl.jpg

Apr 1, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #146,346 of 152,853
... When do you see a login request?
On every device I tried it on. Which is as to be expected. What is unexpected and caused the irritation is to be asked to login multiple times on the same device.

Apr 1, 2024 at 9:13 PM Post #146,347 of 152,853
Apr 1, 2024 at 9:16 PM Post #146,348 of 152,853
In the good eateries it is important to ask how hot the red and green are, since they make it fresh every day and there can be variances. This practice has saved my tongue from injury on a few occasions. :smile_cat:
One of the most seared-into-my-memory events was when when I asked an Indian restauranteur to "make it like you do at home" regarding some vindaloo. Oops!

I used to have a high tolerance for "heat" (not anymore) but that was something else.

Apr 1, 2024 at 9:32 PM Post #146,349 of 152,853
Those two were responsible for some of the best recordings ever made. I'll seek out the Mercury. No such thing as too many 1812's, I always say. 🤣
The nuance in the conductor's direction of the gunnery officers is key, I would say.
Many 1812 recordings fizzle when either the conductor or officers are wet behind the ears.

P.S. I think I mentioned before how the Allentown Symphony did the 1812? No cannons so every seat had a paper bag taped underneath, numbered, iirc. We were to inflate the bag and then pop it when its number flashed up on the podium. Very cool, very interactive. Not very Telarc, I imagine. The conductor worked us harder than a cashier at the checkout line :)

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 9:33 PM Post #146,350 of 152,853
IMG_7664.jpeg

One set complete and under test. My source today is just a Pono player into a Melos SHA 1 line amplifier into a tube power amp formerly known as Cowen. I know the speakers are too close together but this is more for looks.🤪 playing Harvest by Neil Young.
So you were the one who bought the Pono…

Apr 1, 2024 at 9:37 PM Post #146,351 of 152,853
My son did and gifted it to me later. Still working, not so much as a battery changed, balanced output, quite a device in its day. Now just a quick portable source to hook to various gear.😉

Apr 1, 2024 at 9:39 PM Post #146,352 of 152,853
got 2 gallons of Texas Red simmering...
1 lb Wagu ground beef
2 lbs ground sirloin
1 can pinto, 1 can red, 1 can black beans
3 pints cherry tomatoes
1 vidalia onion
32 oz chicken broth
2 packets of Texas Red , Himalaya Pink Salt

1 lb Alpine White Cheddar + Club Crackers

This is the way, Men.
BEANS?!?!?!

Apr 1, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #146,353 of 152,853

I had to laugh as I read this - I almost bought one, and as I’m typing I’m listening to Neil Young and Crazy Horse’s jam-heavy ”Psychedelic Pill” (“Drifting Back” is 27:35 and 2 other songs are over 16 minutes long).

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #146,354 of 152,853
No, it’s actually the Aegir 2 that’s tripping protection at lower volume than the Aegir 1. That’s what surprised me,
I did not say that well but I get your point. The 2 does have increased protection from what I have read. Basically you push both units till protection kicks in? Is there a purpose for doing that??

Apr 1, 2024 at 9:48 PM Post #146,355 of 152,853
got 2 gallons of Texas Red simmering...
1 lb Wagu ground beef
2 lbs ground sirloin
1 can pinto, 1 can red, 1 can black beans
3 pints cherry tomatoes
1 vidalia onion
32 oz chicken broth
2 packets of Texas Red , Himalaya Pink Salt

1 lb Alpine White Cheddar + Club Crackers

This is the way, Men.
Texas red must contain the spices I would think. Sounds like you have it down.🤪