Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 29, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #145,876 of 152,757
Thank You to @emorrison33 for the Modi 3+! I love the classic AKM DAC sound!

On Wednesday I ordered a Magni+ in silver to match it and it was delivered 2 days later. So Thank You also to Schiit for the wicked fast delivery! Makes for a nice bedside stack
IMG_3470.jpeg

Mar 29, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #145,877 of 152,757
So, on my recent trip from Sweden to US I did take the car from San Diego to Newhall to visit the Schiitr and pick up the potentially last Yggy A2 OG 230V ever (now it’s in Sweden, burning in since a week back) 😁

In hindsight - it’s funny I was in Austin and San Antonio before going to SoCal… and funny, while at the Schiitr, I tried to convince the amazing staff (was it Chris!?) about the greatness of late Texan Doug Sahm (active both in San Antonio, Austin, SoCal - and Sweden!). The Kara, Tyr, Magnepan setup sounded amaaaaaaazing with this old gem;
Sir Douglas Quintet - Are Inlaws Really Outlaws
Son Volt recently put out a Doug Sahm tribute record. Jay Farrar was friends with Sahm and the record opens and closes with two voicemails Sahm left for Farrar.

Great record.

IMG_0425.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #145,878 of 152,757
What's wrong with this picture? 😒

1000005214.jpg

Mar 29, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #145,879 of 152,757
I consider myself very fortunate. I've gotten 2 of my girls through college and getting the last one through.

My middle daughter graduated Baylor with a degree in digital marketing and is a brand manager for a large food and entertainment corporation.

The oldest graduated University of N. Texas and is a 5th grade language arts teacher. She's the mom of our grand daughter.

The youngest is a certified EMT and has an associate degree in Paramedicine. She is the one working through to get her bachelor's degree in Nursing and RN.

Just gotta get her past the finish line.

I've had a tough run, but in the end, all good. Even though I offered mine living/college $ so no debt; neither ended up doing that. My oldest (on the spectrum) struggled thru his entire school career. Held him back a grade too. The day after he turned 18, he went to the principal's office and filled out withdrawal forms and that was it. 11th grade dropout. I told him he could continue to live with me IF he completed his GED and got a job. Challenge accepted and within 3 months did both and then even went to community college for a year before stopping. Once I accepted that things are on his timeline, life has been great. He's been at that same job slowly moving up for 8 years now. I'm proud of him.

Youngest sailed thru high school and again, went to community college for a year. In that time, he decided he wanted to be in restaurant business and thru a series of expanding jobs and places, is a very skilled sous chef at a resort here. He also has no brakes. In the span of 24 months, he's moved out, got married, had a kiddo, moved, and is a day away from being baptized in new religion.

Love them both. Proud of them both. Thankful for both even though neither follow anything close to my path in life.

Mar 29, 2024 at 7:08 PM Post #145,880 of 152,757
I've had a tough run, but in the end, all good. Even though I offered mine living/college $ so no debt; neither ended up doing that. My oldest (on the spectrum) struggled thru his entire school career. Held him back a grade too. The day after he turned 18, he went to the principal's office and filled out withdrawal forms and that was it. 11th grade dropout. I told him he could continue to live with me IF he completed his GED and got a job. Challenge accepted and within 3 months did both and then even went to community college for a year before stopping. Once I accepted that things are on his timeline, life has been great. He's been at that same job slowly moving up for 8 years now. I'm proud of him.

Youngest sailed thru high school and again, went to community college for a year. In that time, he decided he wanted to be in restaurant business and thru a series of expanding jobs and places, is a very skilled sous chef at a resort here. He also has no brakes. In the span of 24 months, he's moved out, got married, had a kiddo, moved, and is a day away from being baptized in new religion.

Love them both. Proud of them both. Thankful for both even though neither follow anything close to my path in life.
That's wonderful! ... As parents, we want our children to do well ... it's tough to not put 'our metrics' on them ... they may get 'their tickets' punched, but not in our order, not on our timetable ... and not for the same ride 🤷🏻‍♂️😳❤️

Mar 29, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #145,882 of 152,757
What's wrong with this picture? 😒

Empty. Also, if you're going to get salt on the rim then why bother with the straw?
Pro tip - have your bartender make it in a pint glass with a wedge instead of a slice of lime and deplete the salt as you work your way down.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #145,883 of 152,757
So, on my recent trip from Sweden to US I did take the car from San Diego to Newhall to visit the Schiitr and pick up the potentially last Yggy A2 OG 230V ever (now it’s in Sweden, burning in since a week back) 😁

In hindsight - it’s funny I was in Austin and San Antonio before going to SoCal… and funny, while at the Schiitr, I tried to convince the amazing staff (was it Chris!?) about the greatness of late Texan Doug Sahm (active both in San Antonio, Austin, SoCal - and Sweden!). The Kara, Tyr, Magnepan setup sounded amaaaaaaazing with this old gem;
Sir Douglas Quintet - Are Inlaws Really Outlaws
Awesome to have the greatness of Doug Sahm pointed out by a Swede. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #145,884 of 152,757
Empty. Also, if you're going to get salt on the rim then why bother with the straw?
Pro tip - have your bartender make it in a pint glass with a wedge instead of a slice of lime and deplete the salt as you work your way down.
Correct on both counts. Frozen with a straw and on the rocks without. That was the wife's glass, as she could finish it (this was her 2nd). Besides -- as for the salt on the rim of her glass goes, I licked it. :D

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #145,885 of 152,757
Try and keep your toe from tapping... 😏

1000005203.jpg
The song that kills me on this album is Shut Us Down. Wife and I saw him perform twice and the second time this was one that he played. The emotion of his effort got me misty eyed and still feel that a little bit every time I hear it.

Mar 29, 2024 at 8:01 PM Post #145,886 of 152,757
Son Volt recently put out a Doug Sahm tribute record. Jay Farrar was friends with Sahm and the record opens and closes with two voicemails Sahm left for Farrar.

Great record.

IMG_0425.jpeg
It’s a great one! I saw Son Volt live on their tour after album Trace. One of the best gigs ever!

Mar 29, 2024 at 8:01 PM Post #145,887 of 152,757

Congrats. Being a parent is a very difficult job and the measure of your success is in the outcomes achieved.

Kids all take their own path despite our coaching and counsel. We're just along for the ride and to provide any needed support, to the extent we are not enabling bad decisions. A parent's love is unconditional and their support extends to the bounds of what is truly best for them -- even if they don't understand what is best. As a parent, all we can hope for is that we've equipped them for life's challenges and that they are happy and successful at whatever it is they choose to do in life and in their relationships.

As a father of all girls, it is REALLY hard for me NOT to be over-protective. Sometimes I have to step back and let them find their own way -- make their own mistakes and to let them learn from them. That can be really hard to do. While I may not agree with some of their decisions, I always provide counsel (whether wanted or not) and understand that they may not take heed. However, I am always there to help pick-up the pieces if things go awry. That's my job as a father to my girls. While they may not always see me as a friend, I am always parent. I am always their guardian angel - and they know it whether they acknowledge it or not . They may hate me sometimes, but I always know that they really do love me. And they will love me even more when they gain an understanding of what it is to be a parent themselves -- the hard work, the sacrifices, the heartache, and most of all, the joy!! :D

Time for tunes and another margarita!

Note: I work for a drop-out recovery High School charter district. Every day I see the results of a lack of parenting/mentoring, hell even caring. Kids having kids and not equipped to be a parent. Adult parents that don't care or are ill-equipped mentally or emotionally to be an example and provide the needed guidance and support. If anyone ever questions the value of being an engaged, and strong parent -- send them to a drop-out recovery high school. They'll see real quick how important a loving, caring, and engaged parent is to a kid.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #145,890 of 152,757

Users who are viewing this thread

Back