Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 18, 2024 at 6:06 PM Post #143,956 of 149,685
Coming soon, NSD (NewSpeakerDay). All I'll say, for now, is that the Tyr monos will love them.
Bass cabs finished today. A pair of 6.5" two-ways will sit on top.
Once I load them up, I can work on the crossover that goes from the bass cabs up to the two-ways.

I love my AR LST's but I'm ready for something different to replace a pair of 50 year old speakers.

The Tyrs will really light these up!

To be continued...

Attachments

• IMG_9839.JPG
    IMG_9839.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9841.JPG
    IMG_9841.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9840.JPG
    IMG_9840.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 0
Mar 18, 2024 at 6:06 PM Post #143,957 of 149,685
Have there been any papers published in respected media [IEEE, AES, etc.] to substantiate these claims?
Yeah I won't necessarily jump to any conclusions but my bs-meter was a bit triggered by that interview.

PCM DACs tend to be a bit plagued by nonlinearities but I'm not sure how a finely tuned reverb would address all of them. Maybe it just tends to smooth them all out and make things more euphonic.

I've always wondered about designing a DAC that has one set of chips for the summed mono signal, and one for the difference between L+R, with the decoding of the stereo image happening in the analog domain. Kind of like how vinyl encoding & playback works. Curious if any manufacturers have ever done it that way. Seems to me that it would tackle some of the issues that come along with the nonlinearities (glitching, settling time, resistor drift, etc), and give a good solid sense of a center channel.

Mar 18, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #143,958 of 149,685
Bass cabs finished today. A pair of 6.5" two-ways will sit on top.
Once I load them up, I can work on the crossover that goes from the bass cabs up to the two-ways.

I love my AR LST's but I'm ready for something different to replace a pair of 50 year old speakers.

The Tyrs will really light these up!

To be continued...
those look great, dude

Mar 18, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #143,959 of 149,685
Yeah I won't necessarily jump to any conclusions but my bs-meter was a bit triggered by that interview.

PCM DACs tend to be a bit plagued by nonlinearities but I'm not sure how a finely tuned reverb would address all of them. Maybe it just tends to smooth them all out and make things more euphonic.

I've always wondered about designing a DAC that has one set of chips for the summed mono signal, and one for the difference between L+R, with the decoding of the stereo image happening in the analog domain. Kind of like how vinyl encoding & playback works. Curious if any manufacturers have ever done it that way. Seems to me that it would tackle some of the issues that come along with the nonlinearities (glitching, settling time, resistor drift, etc), and give a good solid sense of a center channel.
This is a very interesting post. I'd love to hear Mike or Jason chime in on that one.

Mar 18, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #143,961 of 149,685
Pennsylvania is full of weird town names: Ancient Oaks (What?), King of Prussia (why?), Pittsburgh (jk!)
Oi! Actually, you should hear the Yinzers around here pronounce North Versailles. I'm not French and it's irritates me immensely in when it comes out as 'Versales'.

Mar 18, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #143,962 of 149,685
I have built full size and mid sized racks for Schiit gear but never racks for the smallest pieces. I may have to try that some time. I think I have a Vali and a couple of the Loki Mini’s somewhere that I can use for approximate sizes. A Vali on top with 2-3 pieces below perhaps. Any thoughts?
I would love to see what you could create. The little racks from China (same rack sold by several different vendors) work well and are nicely made, but rather utilitarian in appearance. Not a lot of options out there for the Schiit mini components. Perhaps some 1/4" or 3/8" thick tiger maple shelves with some contrasting corner posts? Or maybe solid end pieces left and right with the shelves spanning between them? I'd sure let you send me one. Oh, and dovetailed corners, of course. 🤣🤣

Schiit Mini Stack.jpg

Mar 18, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #143,963 of 149,685
I would love to see what you could create. The little racks from China (same rack sold by several different vendors) work well and are nicely made, but rather utilitarian in appearance. Not a lot of options out there for the Schiit mini components. Perhaps some 1/4" or 3/8" thick tiger maple shelves with some contrasting corner posts? Or maybe solid end pieces left and right with the shelves spanning between them? I'd sure let you send me one. Oh, and dovetailed corners, of course. 🤣🤣

Schiit Mini Stack.jpg
That aint a Schiit Stack, that's a Schiit Tower.

Mar 18, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #143,964 of 149,685
Up until the recent mention of Intercourse, Lizard Lick, NC has been my favorite. Not clear on what the lizard is licking though..... :laughing:
NC BBQ?

Mar 18, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #143,965 of 149,685

Who are you again? I lived through making you an amp without strangling the first human being I came across, you will take what I build and like it.🤪🤪

You are right about the thinner shelves though. I was thinking 3/8 and routing the edges to show off the tiger stripes more.

Mar 18, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #143,966 of 149,685
Mar 18, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #143,967 of 149,685
We do have French Lick of course, home of the great Larry Bird, the hick from French Lick.
French Lick sounds far more appealing than Lizard Lick, but I'm moving to Intercourse regardless. 🤣

Mar 18, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #143,968 of 149,685
In 1968 I had a part time job at an RCA distributor in Albany, New York. They had this huge “His Master’s Voice” white dog statue on the roof. His collar said “Nipper.” I worked in the warehouse part doing inventory stuff. There were hundreds and hundreds of these skinny carboard box thingys full of tubes. My job was to log each box full of tubes for tax purposes. Before they threw them out. IMG_0908.jpegI think of how much all that stuff would be worth now.
Nipper would be worth a literal fortune today.

Mar 18, 2024 at 6:59 PM Post #143,969 of 149,685

Now you have my attention too. I am thinking something Craftsman/Art & Crafts era Quarter sawn Oak or even bamboo. I have lots of 3/8ish thick bamboo cutting boards I do laser engravings on.

Mar 18, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #143,970 of 149,685

Schiit Mini Stack.jpg
Beggars cannot be choosers -----take whatever you can get, bro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back