Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 15, 2024 at 2:15 AM Post #143,161 of 150,236
I wanted to do something cool for my 500th post so I turned to one of my favorite records I own joined by one of my favorite whiskies I get to help make.

IMG_6800.jpeg

Floating Points is the musical identity of keyboardist/producer/composer Sam Shepherd. His music is largely electronic but has recently mixed in elements of jazz to fantastic effect. In 2021, he released an album collaboration with saxophonist Pharoah Sanders to very successful acclaim, a 9 movement composition featuring Pharoah on sax (duh), Sam on keyboard and various electronics, and members of the London Symphony Orchestra. This album was somewhat of a crossover sensation and I saw deep electronic enthusiasts posting about it as frequently and fervently as diehard jazz aficionados. A whole lot of other people, too!

This album 'Elaenia' (released in 2015) is more electronics-laden but was already incorporating some jazz instruments and drums. It is, simply put, utterly fantastic music making. The wax is of sufficient quality to encourage, nay demand, ever increasing volume adjustments, all veering towards an intensely realized culmination of sounds and energy with a spectacularly abrupt ending! It is thrilling stuff and that ending is a brief but wickedly precogniscent vision of that future album. So much fun!

Sumiko Moonstone > Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC > Cambridge Audio Azur 551P > Freya N (stock tubes) > Magni+ > Drop 6xx > ears > cranium > soul

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 2:27 AM Post #143,162 of 150,236
oh that looks fabulous and right up my taste profile.

Mar 15, 2024 at 8:17 AM Post #143,165 of 150,236
Honestly I think the online liquor stores are making some of the highest profits. Once I asked a major distributor why their prices were so high compared to Y and Z companies. They said those are not our competitors, we compete against A, B, and C and their prices are in line with ours. They flat did not care what others sold it for.
Can we say "price gouging"? It's pervasive and more common today than it should be. That's why inflation just posted a February increase of 3+%. I can afford most anything I desire, but am cutting loose many favorites on principle. Finding out I don't really need or miss them anyhow at my age.

Edit: Just musing while listening to music and awaiting the Vali3.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #143,166 of 150,236
Can we say "price gouging"? It's pervasive and more common today than it should be. That's why inflation just posted a February increase of 3+%. I can afford most anything I desire, but am cutting loose many favorites on principle. Finding out I don't really need or miss them anyhow at my age.

Edit: Just musing while listening to music and awaiting the Vali3.
I believe you mean an increase to that percentage. From 3.1 in Jan to 3.2 in Feb as I recall. Actual increase of .4 percent. 🤪When demand outpaces supply inflation occurs. Recession cures inflation but we do not want that. In the case of bourbon, neither Blanton’s nor EH Taylor could be found anywhere near where I live over the holidays. Online sellers had them at high prices. Supply and demand. Remember when the Ford Broncos came out again, some were fetching $100k on EBay, low supply, high demand.

Getting back to music I am about to Increase my vinyl collection and I am open to suggestions. 🤪

Mar 15, 2024 at 9:15 AM Post #143,167 of 150,236
Today’s listening session is sorted.
IMG_1349.jpeg
IMG_1347.jpeg

Mar 15, 2024 at 10:03 AM Post #143,168 of 150,236
And, yes, if you want a spirit that is odorless, colorless and tasteless by definition, Smirnoff is a wonderful choice. People who pay a premium for vodka make me laugh (and also pay my bills), so...
Good points, sir. I like to think of it in terms of quality of life. It's more about "how bad am I going to feel the following day" on those infrequent occasions when nothing excells like excess. I regularly pay a premium for that.

Mar 15, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #143,169 of 150,236
Here's a really nice one for you fine folks...

1000004949.jpg
Interesting. Qobuz doesn't show that album, but the latest they have, Parallel Motion, sounds quite good to me in the office this morning before people start showing up and making noise. Thanks for the suggestion! :relaxed:

Mar 15, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #143,171 of 150,236
Good points, sir. I like to think of it in terms of quality of life. It's more about "how bad am I going to feel the following day" on those infrequent occasions when nothing excells like excess. I regularly pay a premium for that.
"Too much of everything is just enough." :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::metal::metal:

Mar 15, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #143,172 of 150,236
I imagine that someone here has posted these before , but I couldn't find any mention of that when I searched.
A little Friday humor anyone ?

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/flashback-1958-if-not-charles

12.JPG

It's on the polk forum so I didn't hot link (trying to mind Jason's request to not link competing products).
forum.polkaudio(dot)com/discussion/194217/cartoons-related-to-the-foibles-of-audiophiles

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #143,173 of 150,236
I wanted to do something cool for my 500th post so I turned to one of my favorite records I own joined by one of my favorite whiskies I get to help make.

IMG_6800.jpeg

Floating Points is the musical identity of keyboardist/producer/composer Sam Shepherd. His music is largely electronic but has recently mixed in elements of jazz to fantastic effect. In 2021, he released an album collaboration with saxophonist Pharoah Sanders to very successful acclaim, a 9 movement composition featuring Pharoah on sax (duh), Sam on keyboard and various electronics, and members of the London Symphony Orchestra. This album was somewhat of a crossover sensation and I saw deep electronic enthusiasts posting about it as frequently and fervently as diehard jazz aficionados. A whole lot of other people, too!

This album 'Elaenia' (released in 2015) is more electronics-laden but was already incorporating some jazz instruments and drums. It is, simply put, utterly fantastic music making. The wax is of sufficient quality to encourage, nay demand, ever increasing volume adjustments, all veering towards an intensely realized culmination of sounds and energy with a spectacularly abrupt ending! It is thrilling stuff and that ending is a brief but wickedly precogniscent vision of that future album. So much fun!

Sumiko Moonstone > Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC > Cambridge Audio Azur 551P > Freya N (stock tubes) > Magni+ > Drop 6xx > ears > cranium > soul
I need to get the rye sometime. A very well written and thoughtful description of the music. Does Oregon spirits also sell the Glencairn shaped glasses? I am busily building two sample flight boards for a gentleman on here, one using live edge catalpa but I am probably boring some of you with my builds. I should just do some headphone stands since they are more audio related. 🤪 Oh and I run a Pro-Ject turntable with considerable alterations.

Mar 15, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #143,174 of 150,236
I need to get the rye sometime. A very well written and thoughtful description of the music. Does Oregon spirits also sell the Glencairn shaped glasses? I am busily building two sample flight boards for a gentleman on here, one using live edge catalpa but I am probably boring some of you with my builds. I should just do some headphone stands since they are more audio related. 🤪 Oh and I run a Pro-Ject turntable with considerable alterations.
Just a note to say I've been finding your wood working posts inspiring, not boring. I like the cars, cats, whiskey, other hobbies , and the rest of the sine wave conversation here.

Mar 15, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #143,175 of 150,236
I'm firmly on the digital side of things. I've never heard my LP system sound "better" than my digital system - different, yes - better, no.
Should I be nervous that playback via my TT/cartridge/phono pre often blows my digital source chain out of the water? Not just different, but better...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back