Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 13, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #142,923 of 155,083
I would hope not! When one spends $5k or more on a fuse, blowing it after blowing $5k is doubly redundant. šŸ¤£
So what you're saying is that the $5k fuse I put in the Vali 2 might be overkill? šŸ¤£

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #142,924 of 155,083
You are infamous for your Melz hoard.
Famous, infamous, same thing right? I have shared some, as well as other tubes with a few of you on here. I try not to do that now, even if you can find the best years the price is getting crazy.

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #142,925 of 155,083
Texas, that is. I went to tech school there. That's where Sheppard AFB is. A little north of there is Lawton, Oklahoma the only place that I spent a night in jail. We were graduating and had a party at an instructor's ranch. Me and a couple of classmates jumped in an instructor's VW and went to Lawton to visit a house of ill repute. Didn't make it because we got pulled over and spent the night in jail for public drunk. I remember reading something that was written on the wall in the jail cell. " We're the people our parents told us about". Hahaha.
I did tech school at Sheppard as well. Not much to do in that town!

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #142,926 of 155,083
And yet it pales in comparison to Bill's Foton stash.
I'm not sure about that---compared to Bill, @Paladin79 is very secretive about the size and location of his stash, but my cat Jake talked to Finnegan and discovered that there is a climate controlled storage unit not far from home that holds many interesting secrets.

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #142,927 of 155,083
I would hope not! When one spends $5k or more on a fuse, blowing it after blowing $5k is doubly redundant. šŸ¤£
The piece of gear should blow first to protect the $5,000 fuse. :wink:

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #142,928 of 155,083
The problem with these fancy fuses is that they are unregulated. Consider Littelfuse. They are certified and tested to break under well-established conditions. That is their only job.

Are these fancy fuses certified to break when they are supposed to? If not, why not?
I always say that if you want to see if a fuse makes a difference, get a piece of copper of the right diameter and lenth, and replace the fuse with it [at least for the duration of your listening tests]. You cannot get any better than that.

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #142,929 of 155,083
We will agree to disagree. I can only go by actual experience, not conjecture. A great example is something that was just posted about fuses. A man knows which fuse is the more expensive, plugs it in, and says ah hah, the music is slightly more detailed. Have someone else swap the fuses randomly without him seeing which is which and then let's see how he does. :ksc75smile: I have done experiments with people claiming they could hear the difference in specific wires, I found one person able to do that in blind testing, the rest failed miserably. I was taught that replicability is important in science and I am more likely to believe when a person can consistently show the same results.

I helped Jason set up one such test involving tubes, in that case it was double blind because the person plugging in the tubes did not know their identity. It was sealed till after the fact. @bcowen showed he could identify several tubes because he had heard them before. The problem is that sometimes you have expectation bias. Compare a tube selling for $1,000 compared to one selling for $20 knowing which is which, and tell me which is better? You know wine, you can probably recall an experiment where the same wine was in two bottles, one was marked with a higher price. Price labels were swapped back and forth and people kept voting for the higher price label, when tasted. Without people knowing price you would be surprised how well a lesser priced DAC or amp or tube might do. I like blind studies for that reason, ceteris paribus.
I am aware of your works as you know and what you picture is people learning tricks.
Blind studies are really a different piece of cake that even a lot of scientists do wrong.
Blindly picking out one out of others is a real neat trick but doesn't tell you anything about anything.
comparatio invalida so to speak.

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #142,931 of 155,083
I'm not sure about that---compared to Bill, @Paladin79 is very secretive about the size and location of his stash, but my cat Jake talked to Finnegan and discovered that there is a climate controlled storage unit not far from home that holds many interesting secrets.
Darned blabber cat, I gave him a couple GEC to shut him up but he told anyway. I always found it interesting that a tube produced over four decades using similar parts could sound so different. Many of you have heard them and generally the results are pretty positive.šŸ˜‰

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #142,933 of 155,083
Just hopefully not Barbies. :smile:

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #142,935 of 155,083
Having conducted some blind fuse tests with high end fuses vs standard, I can only laugh but each to their own.
I whole heartedly agree.
Yep. Agreed. :dt880smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back