Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 1, 2024 at 9:38 PM Post #141,691 of 149,532
Mar 1, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #141,693 of 149,532
Just out of curiosity...

Has anyone that ordered an Aegir 2 received a shipping confirmation? 🤔

Mar 1, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #141,694 of 149,532
Not in MN. But there are two great french restaurants in downtown minneapolis i can recommend!

Can anyone recommend any barbecue?
Buy one: https://www.amazon.com/EasyGoProducts-Big-Bad-Barrel-Drum/dp/B07DVMNH2C

I like cherry, good or bad, I had to cut down a cherry tree in my front yard last year. Plenty of smoking wood, along with a couple of nice woodworking items.

Buy a pork picnic, fresh. Around here, they're $.99 per pound on sale. Cut off the skin and fat layer. Slather that meat with a little prepared mustard, add some paprika, garlic powder, ground black pepper, and kosher salt.

I use a charcoal chimney to light my (Kingsford) coals from paper. Allow the coals to have a white ash skin. Pour into the charcoal bowl of the smoker. Add several chunks of smoking wood.

Add the prepared picnic to the top grill. I spray the meat with apple cider vinegar every half hour for the 2 hour smoke. The internal smoker temp should be around F225-250.

Take the meat off the smoker after 2 hrs. Place in a roasting pan, add a little water to the pan, wrap in aluminum foil, and roast in a F225 oven for 4 hours.

Take the meat out when ready. The bones should be loose in the meat. Remove the bones and chop the meat into large cubes. Place the meat cubes into a large bowl. Use a handheld mixer (with standard beaters) to render the meat to very light "pulled pork" consistency.

I add back a little of the rendered fat/water, along with some pepper sauce. I like "Texas Pete", which is pretty mild, but it's from NC. Enjoy.

Mar 1, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #141,695 of 149,532
I refuse to admit that records, books, and wine are “hoarding” symptoms…I could live with something closer to Enthusiastic Collector, though… <wink>
These things are not hoarding. They, along with my cast iron skillets, La Cruset Dutch Ovens, All Clad stainless, 2 very specific grills/smokers and 6 very specific kitchen knives are the necessary things for my core happiness. Though we try to drink down the wine collection a bit before moving.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #141,696 of 149,532
I am a professional at this and I can assist:

“It only costs me the difference of what I buy it for and what I sell it for. I’m just tying up the money for a little while.”

“Money I’ll never see again was spent on a cruise… this is a tangible asset.”

When I’m “old” am I gonna say… “Oh man, things could have been a lot easier for us if only I didn’t spend the money on that Aegir 2.”

“I am helping the economy”.

“I work hard, I do the right thing, and I want it.”

Other examples can be provided upon request.
Everyone needs a justification genie.

Mar 1, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #141,697 of 149,532
Mar 1, 2024 at 10:14 PM Post #141,699 of 149,532
When I was contemplating buying a Tesla I printed out the entire manual and had it spiral bound. It is an excellent example of a full owner's manual.

The e-manual or whatever Volvo calls it is a pos. Here, see for yourself. https://www.volvocars.com/en-ca/support/car/s60-recharge-plug-in-hybrid/23w17

The same manual is available on the infotainment screen in the car and is equally useless.

Sorry about the gripe. Its otherwise an excellent car.
Chiming in on the user manual question as a career technical writer. I enjoy Jason’s writing, here on HF, on the Schiit website, and in the product manuals. For me, there are two types of products I will always save (and covet?) the manuals for cars and audio gear. For Schiit products, I submit the following.

- The manuals are great. Informative, succinct and entertaining. I am a fan of having a clear, readable manual in hard copy, especially since I plan to keep this stuff for a long time. It’s designed not to become obsolete after all.
- If there’s anything I’d like to see added it might be a specs page, or a way to tell easily which version of the product I have, since there are always going to be changes over time (which is good!).
- Having said that, maybe there’s a two tiered approach that would make sense. For the less expensive products, up to $300 say, skip the paper manual. They’re generally so simple that it’s unlikely anyone would miss it. For the more expensive products, continue to provide the hard copy manual. The incremental cost is a smaller percentage of the price then and it’s appropriate for a piece of equipment that costs a bit more.

And I have to agree that the newer manuals for Volvos and probably most other cars are so full of useless warnings that it’s much easier to hit the forums or YT to find out how to turn off the dumb lane assistance nanny I accidentally turned on.

All IMO of course.

Mar 1, 2024 at 10:17 PM Post #141,700 of 149,532
Cloud is a nice idea until you actually need to restore an entire 10TB volume in relatively short order (remote upload speeds are usually the limiting factor, sometimes as little as 1GB/hour). Some services like Backblaze can send you a physical restore drive upon request, but their state SLA for that is something like "several days per TB" to prepare. Of course if you're not under time constraints, it's a great option.
You've also got to watch the cost with Cloud. Once you get into bigger storage it starts to cost enough per year to make that safety deposit box look like a good plan. If your data isn't too big it's easier.

Mar 1, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #141,701 of 149,532
I do not know much about the shipping within USA, but $300 is insane ... my shipping of single Aegir from Schiit to Hong Kong by Fedex International Economy is $141.43-
Here's the thing. If someone else could do it cheaper, they would.

Mar 1, 2024 at 10:24 PM Post #141,702 of 149,532
everyone waits while manuals get printed
So that was not factored into the 2-3 days lead time on the site I guess. I don't even care about a hardcopy manual. ☹️

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 10:25 PM Post #141,703 of 149,532
Cars still come with spare tires? Far out. My RX8 was equipped only with a can of Fix-a-Flat. It *did* have a nicely bound owner's manual though. 🤣
Just turned away a car the wife was looking at this evening. Hybrid SUV, no spare, run flats…

Mar 1, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #141,704 of 149,532
It’s been too long… must have BBQ! (And REAL BBQ as we all know…)

BBQ done RIGHT, first while in Mass, second (same pit) while in TX… two pork butts, to racks of baby backs, and one tasty brisket (with salmon fillets in the cooler up stack to the left)… and a gratuitous red-ringed brisket… :wink:

PS; @Jason Stoddard the final pic is what the master bedroom of the house we bought 2 years ago here in NH looked like. The woman was being committed by her family as she had a very serious case of “Hoarderism mental illness”… that picture was AFTER she had “moved out” (the entire house was disgusting, showers where packed with stuff, we didn’t know HOW she even bathed, crap was piled 5 feet high in all the rooms, etc.)

So yeah, collecting things like records, books, wine, etc is NOT “hoarding” :wink:66792556978__CD2EB9F1-841E-4BBF-99C1-BF3A58861F33.jpeg
IMG_0249.jpegIMG_2782.jpegIMG_2491.jpeg
Nice smoker.

Mar 1, 2024 at 10:33 PM Post #141,705 of 149,532
And so it begins. Very soon, NC BBQ will be but a faint, unpleasant, memory.
Let the pleasant wisps of hickory smoke wash over you as you start to imagine the glorious smoke ring and the truth will become clear.

BBQ.jpeg
I'm wandering? I've been in Texas, and enjoy your beef barbecue. I enjoy my native NC pork barbecue.

Why would you like to see NC barbecue disappear?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back