Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 1, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #141,676 of 149,543
I guess it could be a cat. Finnegan under a ghost name, perhaps? :thinking:
Nah. I think Finnegan knows the difference between 'evoked' and 'evolved' even after hitting the bottle of Buffalo Trace. 🤣

1709338950349.png

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #141,677 of 149,543
Let's discuss manuals:

1. I know if we get rid of them, someone's gonna complain about us being cheap/assholes/etc. Understood.
2. However, if we get rid of them, we're right there with $3500 products (Cintiq) with no manuals and with massively complex apps and other stupid stuff with no manuals.
3. Most manuals are about 10% useful information and 90% scolding (looking at tools especially).
4. Manuals are almost always somewhat wrong.

So: manuals? Pro? Con? Indifferent?

Edit: I linked Tyler to this, so he'll definitely read your opinions.

Edit2: also, for the high school debate team champions, don't try to shift this to plastic bags and other crap in the box. We get it. We've been trying to eliminate plastic bags. Nothing is good enough so far. You get to choose between weirdo semi-plastic molded stuff to hold the non-bagged product in place, and bags. Some things (Tyrs) require foam, period. Magnis and Midgards and stuff like that have been moved to, or are being moved to, all-recycled cardboard. We beat FedEx to this, FWIW.

In the last week my first Schiit products have arrived - I'm happily listening to them now. I was glad they had the manual in the box because I didn't immediately get the meaning of all the tiny grey-on-black glyphs over the mode switches, or what the single, unlabelled button Modius was for. Now that I know, it'll be fine, but they were a mystery to start!

Manuals in the box made that a trivial thing. Having to download them would have been okay, but annoying. Considering the size of your manuals, I'd say that a "get your manual here" QR code would be almost as annoying to manage as the actual paper things.

If they are on-line, please do make sure they have nice stable URLs that don't change and don't go away the moment a product is not for sale. I know I tend to keep things a long, long time.

Edited to add: I wouldn't think about going off onto a tangent about how much other stuff was in the boxes. I was impressed with the packaging and how thoughtfully made and recyclable it is. Modi + was purely folded cardboard, and the larger ones mostly cardboard. Nothing glued together so you can't easily recycle it. I was impressed and could tell someone had put some thought into it, and I appreciated that.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 7:27 PM Post #141,678 of 149,543
Nah. I think Finnegan knows the difference between 'evoked' and 'evolved' even after hitting the bottle of Buffalo Trace. 🤣

And he would never say a Class D amplifier would perform the same general function. Tom would turn him out if he ever did. :D

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 7:33 PM Post #141,680 of 149,543
Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 8:18 PM Post #141,685 of 149,543
In the last week my first Schiit products have arrived - I'm happily listening to them now. I was glad they had the manual in the box because I didn't immediately get the meaning of all the tiny grey-on-black glyphs over the mode switches, or what the single, unlabelled button Modius was for. Now that I know, it'll be fine, but they were a mystery to start!

Manuals in the box made that a trivial thing. Having to download them would have been okay, but annoying. Considering the size of your manuals, I'd say that a "get your manual here" QR code would be almost as annoying to manage as the actual paper things.

If they are on-line, please do make sure they have nice stable URLs that don't change and don't go away the moment a product is not for sale. I know I tend to keep things a long, long time.

Edited to add: I wouldn't think about going off onto a tangent about how much other stuff was in the boxes. I was impressed with the packaging and how thoughtfully made and recyclable it is. Modi + was purely folded cardboard, and the larger ones mostly cardboard. Nothing glued together so you can't easily recycle it. I was impressed and could tell someone had put some thought into it, and I appreciated that.
yeh i'd hate to see the loss of paper manuals in the box. short functional to the point. Was just being nostalgic the other hour about how much I enjoyed Listener Magazine...i still hoard nearly a complete set. Someday I'd like to frame all the Schiit Manuals and hang them on the wall

Mar 1, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #141,687 of 149,543
Mar 1, 2024 at 9:16 PM Post #141,688 of 149,543
Mjolnir 2 is highly revered many want one.

Jot 2 is amazing as well.
The older younger people that learned that what they thought would be online forever isn't and learned to save both the manual from the box and their own PDF copy.

ftfy.
PDF is the great savior of the written word.

Save a PDF manual to my computer, and transfer it to my tablet.

Out of copyright books, the same.

I'm an "older" person, but I love PDF.

Mar 1, 2024 at 9:18 PM Post #141,689 of 149,543
Mar 1, 2024 at 9:37 PM Post #141,690 of 149,543
I've been thinking about the safety deposit box idea, but hadn't considered full on cloud backup. Seems a little more expensive, but also, I haven't gone to the bank in years...
Cloud is a nice idea until you actually need to restore an entire 10TB volume in relatively short order (remote upload speeds are usually the limiting factor, sometimes as little as 1GB/hour). Some services like Backblaze can send you a physical restore drive upon request, but their state SLA for that is something like "several days per TB" to prepare. Of course if you're not under time constraints, it's a great option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back