Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 29, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #141,496 of 150,791
Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #141,497 of 150,791
Electronic is fine, but maybe Schiit can add the option for a paper manual right underneath the chassis color, voltage, and power cord option. :wink:

* I suspect if there was a note saying "May delay shipment of your order by up to 2-days", NO ONE WOULD ORDER ONE! :D
I would! Seriously.

Although Iā€™d get by without one Iā€™d much prefer to have it. Reason being that itā€™s just a lot easier to pick up a paper manual and look for what you need (like which hieroglyph was high gain again? :sweat_smile: ) than navigating to the website, find it, download it, open it, pan it, zoom it, etc. Yes Iā€™m old fashioned that way :wink:

To the contrary of removing it, it would be great to expand on it instead, and include all the specs and info on the product page. Great to have when wanting to look something up quickly (power ratings, dac chip types, etc) especially for discontinued products.

Feb 29, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #141,498 of 150,791
This may seem bizarre to many but regarding Jason's method, and maybe most everyone does this his way and I haven't caught on yet

4. Throw the rest away without looking at any of it--warranty cards, manuals, safety screeds, free sweepstakes, whatever. Usually stickers too, unless they are interesting. And yes, this includes the box, unless it's a $13-33k Audio Precision machine that I know will need to go back for recalibration from time to time.

but I put product/shipping boxes and unimportant papers that accompany it from shipping in the recycle bin. If it's something inexpensive that may need some sort of return service it goes to the "to be recycled holding area" in the garage. Then later recycled.

I do not throw anything away that can be recycled. If I have to flatten the box so be it. Weird, I know. It gets recycled.....at least that's the cities claim.:)

Now granted Texas may not have anyway to recycle. Some counties in Florida are planning on discontinuing it. Don't know if this is good or bad for bcowen! :)

But, even if you can't recycle, living in Florida I've spent over $800.00 shipping Schiit back to California over the last decade for warranty...not complaining that's the way Schiit does it but to not have the box?

Has anyone paid UPS to package a product their official way so it can be insured for damage? I recently sold my 2 Aegirs and shipped them to Boston.

I asked the nice UPS person how much for UPS to do it with their boxes (as a selling point they told me Schiit boxes do not have a high enough rating) Total for the two Aegirs would have been nearly $300.00.

I used my Schiit boxes and it cost $125.70 with the knowledge they can't be insured for damage.:)

YMMV, sorry for the lengthy post.

Feb 29, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #141,499 of 150,791
Keep the manuals in the box. Schiit's manual are as simple as most quickstart guides so not a major investment in printing. Unlike Mr. Stoddard I keep all the boxes and their inclusions so the next person get the lot. Most consumer equipment manufactures have a support page with all the older gear and their documents available somewhere down the menu tree. For old Schiit manuals and software I go to Schiit Archive, though it's not quite up to date. I also just go to the Internate Archive's Wayback Machine which has Schiit's entire web life preserved for all eternity.

Feb 29, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #141,500 of 150,791
This may seem bizarre to many but regarding Jason's method, and maybe most everyone does this his way and I haven't caught on yet

but I put product/shipping boxes and unimportant papers that accompany it from shipping in the recycle bin. If it's something inexpensive that may need some sort of return service it goes to the "to be recycled holding area" in the garage. Then later recycled.

I do not throw anything away that can be recycled. If I have to flatten the box so be it. Weird, I know. It gets recycled.....at least that's the cities claim.:)

Now granted Texas may not have anyway to recycle. Some counties in Florida are planning on discontinuing it. Don't know if this is good or bad for bcowen! :)

But, even if you can't recycle, living in Florida I've spent over $800.00 shipping Schiit back to California over the last decade for warranty...not complaining that's the way Schiit does it but to not have the box?

Has anyone paid UPS to package a product their official way so it can be insured for damage? I recently sold my 2 Aegirs and shipped them to Boston.

I asked the nice UPS person how much for UPS to do it with their boxes (as a selling point they told me Schiit boxes do not have a high enough rating) Total for the two Aegirs would have been nearly $300.00.

I used my Schiit boxes and it cost $125.70 with the knowledge they can't be insured for damage.:)

YMMV, sorry for the lengthy post.
I do not know much about the shipping within USA, but $300 is insane ... my shipping of single Aegir from Schiit to Hong Kong by Fedex International Economy is $141.43-

Feb 29, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #141,501 of 150,791
Feb 29, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #141,502 of 150,791
I'm expecting great things form Aegir 2. If it delivers on those expectations, there will be 2 GHorns in the classified section. Don't get me wrong, 2x mono-block GHorns sound INCREDIBLY good in my rig, I'm just expecting more form 1x Aegir 2. The fact Aegir 2 is now 30w x2, made this an easy decision.
I have a similar setup; since the power ratings are the same, do you think Balanced vs SE will just make us end up on different points of the volume knob, when it comes our accustomed to listening levels?

Feb 29, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #141,503 of 150,791
I do not know much about the shipping within USA, but $300 is insane ... my shipping of single Aegir from Schiit to Hong Kong by Fedex International Economy is $141.43-
That's their charge for a higher strength box, minimum of 4" of their padding, cost of box, padding, labor and shipping. Because UPS does it you can insure for shipping damage. Otherwise if it damaged it's your expense.

So one Aegir to Boston Schiit box way was $62.85.

Feb 29, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #141,504 of 150,791
That's their charge for a higher strength box, minimum of 4" of their padding, cost of box, padding, labor and shipping. Because UPS does it you can insure for shipping damage. Otherwise if it damaged it's your expense.

So one Aegir to Boston Schiit box way was $62.85.
I see ...... :slight_frown:

Feb 29, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #141,505 of 150,791
Just lost one drive in my main NAS from my Raid 5 Array. Also have a full backup NAS. Need to do a backup in a Fire proof safe or something.
That, or take it to work with you. If there's an event that takes both locations out, the last thing we'll be concerned with is our digital libraries.

Feb 29, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #141,506 of 150,791
You guys are making this manual thing ridiculously complicated. I'm going to help everyone:

Schiit's manuals are very short. Print the contents on the inside of the box flap.

Along with a qr code. And a website URL. For those that want them that way. Or to print on actual paper.
That would imply product specific boxes. Knowing how much my wife buys in support of her dog treat mfg biz, and the added cost of printing, probably not going to happen

Feb 29, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #141,507 of 150,791
I think a certain Scottish manufacturer of ā€˜high-endā€™ audio got there first!
I wonā€™t even mention their name on this forum, because, unlike Schiit Audio, they epitomise over-priced, over-hyped, mediocre products.
I wouldnā€™t touch them with a barge poleā€¦even if wearing white gloves :beyersmile:
Kiltronics?

:wink:

Feb 29, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #141,508 of 150,791
Aegir 2? How did you get one and @Ripper2860 didnt? Asking for a friend
I didn't get one (yet :wink: ) - just reiterating what Jason talked about here in the thread regarding the redesign of Aegir 2...

Feb 29, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #141,509 of 150,791
I wonder if anyone here was a beta tester - assuming there was a beta. šŸ¤”

Feb 29, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #141,510 of 150,791
As someone who does shipping & receiving for a living, $300 is high. Shipping amps not in their original boxes isnā€™t too difficult. If theyā€™re heavy, the key is to double box. Start by enveloping the amp in lots of bubble wrap and heavy duty shipping tape. Like at least 3-4ā€ around every side. Pack that into a tight-fitting box. Tape it up and put that box into a larger box with a couple more inches of bubble wrap around the inner box. Tape all seams and maybe even around all sides. Make it as tight fitting as possible because these boxes will get tossed and dropped. It might seem like overkill but itā€™s more likely to survive the trip this way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back