Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 28, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #141,361 of 150,661
I was kidding!!! I have the manuals and original boxes. Given the small number of GHorns I've seen on the 2nd hand market, I suspect that I'd be fine either way. I've sold a lot of gear in the last 60 days and none had manuals. No concern was expressed by any buyer, so I think it's less of a factor than some are making it out to be. Either way, I should be fine. :wink:
Getting a manual with any 2nd-hand gear I buy is far from a deal-breaker for me. It's nice if it's there, but it doesn't factor in my purchase decision. YMMV.

Feb 28, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #141,362 of 150,661
Indeed. I got a scare last month when my NAS "died". Fortunately it was just the power supply so I didn't lose anything. Regardless, I still keep an 8TB drive in a safe deposit box at the bank that I bring home 3-4 times per year to backup the NAS.

I back up to my NAS and an external 20Tb Drive (both mirrored), and that gets backed up to BackBlaze's inexpensive cloud storage.

Feb 28, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #141,363 of 150,661
Some of the manuals are worth hanging onto merely for the snark factor!
e.g. From the "anti-social media" days 🤣
og-yggy-og-manual.jpg
Fascinating! Looks like a scan of a paper manual with wonderous snark!. When did Schiit start including fetal cardboard sheets with their products?

I buy all my good Schiit used. Not just because I'm a cheapskate, which I am, but also because I'm buying in Canada. Not one of my used piles of Schiit came with a 'paper' manual. Most pieces were shipped in less-than-schiit-of-the-art boxes.

If there is a particular function I don't comprehend, I happily use this thread to provide answers to none of the questions I have. Life is good. 🤣

Feb 28, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #141,364 of 150,661
Indeed. I got a scare last month when my NAS "died". Fortunately it was just the power supply so I didn't lose anything. Regardless, I still keep an 8TB drive in a safe deposit box at the bank that I bring home 3-4 times per year to backup the NAS.
I replicate to a separate local storage and to cloud. I have no need to go to the bank as I seldom have $$. :D

Feb 28, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #141,365 of 150,661
More like 5W now.
Thanks! I suspected the comment about it being cooler as a result of being able to lower BIAS due to enhanced continuity circuitry might have changed that.

Feb 28, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #141,367 of 150,661
Some of the manuals are worth hanging onto merely for the snark factor!
e.g. From the "anti-social media" days 🤣

Hopefully they've revised that 'cause I swear I watch their Live Stream Schittr Meets on YouTube AND Facebook. :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #141,368 of 150,661
Fascinating! Looks like a scan of a paper manual with wonderous snark!. When did Schiit start including fetal cardboard sheets with their products?

I buy all my good Schiit used. Not just because I'm a cheapskate, which I am, but also because I'm buying in Canada. Not one of my used piles of Schiit came with a 'paper' manual. Most pieces were shipped in less-than-schiit-of-the-art boxes.

If there is a particular function I don't comprehend, I happily use this thread to provide answers to none of the questions I have. Life is good. 🤣
Not a scan, it's the back of the manual from Yggy back when Yggy was just Yggy and had no plusses, or A1, or A2, or LIMs, MIBs, or MIL-Fs associated to it
It came with a Yggy I purchased from the classifieds that was an A1, later upgraded to an A2, then Unison, and is now off to the mothership to get a new Yggy+ chassis
Doubt that it'll keep the history of stickers that were on the back, but having the provenance was fun!
:beerchug:

Attachments

• not-a-scan.jpg
    not-a-scan.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Feb 28, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #141,369 of 150,661
Not a scan, it's the back of the manual from Yggy back when Yggy was just Yggy and had no plusses, or A1, or A2, or LIMs, MIBs, or MIL-Fs associated to it
It came with a Yggy I purchased from the classifieds that was an A1, later upgraded to an A2, then Unison, and is now off to the mothership to get a new Yggy+ chassis
Doubt that it'll keep the history of stickers that were on the back, but having the provenance was fun!
:beerchug:
The Yggdrasil of Theseus.

Feb 28, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #141,370 of 150,661
When are we going to see a Roon-Ready streamer from Schiit? Seems like it would be a nice addition to the DAC / AMP stack. You can call it Schiit-Stream!
My guess is, there will be not one, but three streamers

The first model is released Not now
The second model is released Not ever
The third model is released Never

Or as Jason has mentioned several times, nothing with software.

Just buy a Raspberry Pi

Feb 28, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #141,372 of 150,661
I back up to my NAS and an external 20Tb Drive (both mirrored), and that gets backed up to BackBlaze's inexpensive cloud storage.

I've been thinking about the safety deposit box idea, but hadn't considered full on cloud backup. Seems a little more expensive, but also, I haven't gone to the bank in years...

Feb 28, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #141,373 of 150,661
I've been thinking about the safety deposit box idea, but hadn't considered full on cloud backup. Seems a little more expensive, but also, I haven't gone to the bank in years...
$99 per year up front, or $9.99/month, unlimited files, unlimited file size.

Feb 28, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #141,374 of 150,661
Because I think Aegir 2 is pretty fantastic.

I hope you enjoy it too!
Order has been placed. I bought a used Aegir about a month ago to pair with my Freya + and Devore Nines speakers. Have really enjoyed it but know that I could use a little more power. If the Aegir 2 doesn’t do it, then my next step will be to just buy one more Aegir or Aegir 2. I’m guessing that running an Aegir to left speaker and Aegir 2 to right speaker is a bad idea, despite gain being the same. 😉

Feb 28, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #141,375 of 150,661
With all of the Schiit being refined and released is anybody else wondering when we will see a Ragnarok 3 being rolled out?

I am quite happy with my Rag 2, but I bet Jason has a long list of refinements and improvements that he could roll into a Ragnarok 3 if he desired.

Chokes
Continuity
Standby
Switchable Halo?
Feedback Yes/No
Push Pull vs Single Ended
Dac and phono cards vs no cards..

The Nexus in Ragnarok is fantastic, but maybe Jason has refinements for that as well.

Aegir 2 seems awesome, I look forward to hearing the reviews. It could be my next big Schiit purchase.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back