Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 24, 2024 at 5:38 AM Post #140,746 of 149,685
As Ms Jody points out to me; 1970 is as far away today (well a couple years ago) as 1918 was to 1970............
That’s a bit mind-blowing.. but the question pops up in my mind; have we made as much progress from 1970 to now as we did from 1918 to 1970? I mean, we go from Ford model T roaming the streets to landing on the moon in ‘69 after all, but then again quite a lot has happened from 1970 onwards too :)

Feb 24, 2024 at 5:48 AM Post #140,747 of 149,685
That’s a bit mind-blowing.. but the question pops up in my mind; have we made as much progress from 1970 to now as we did from 1918 to 1970? I mean, we go from Ford model T roaming the streets to landing on the moon in ‘69 after all, but then again quite a lot has happened from 1970 onwards too :)
Well... some things are much different, perhaps not as spectacular as the advance from the Model T to landing on the moon.

At least now we have the computer chops to totally fake landing on the moon - so that's a big leap for virtual-people-kind. 🤣

Feb 24, 2024 at 6:14 AM Post #140,748 of 149,685
Hey all - now this will seem like a schiity luxury problem - and it is - still Schiit related - so please help me. I'll head from Europe to US for SXSW conference in Austin - where no doubt I'll have the best BBQ ever (I've been there before before)... but after that I'll head to San Diego for a few days of work. I have ONE single day off - a sunday - when I will drive from San Diego to the Schiitr to pickup that last Yggy OG 230V that just disappeared from the Closeout section... and then head back to Europe...
Questions:
Driving from San Diego on a Sunday to the Schiitr (I have never been driving in the US and never been on the west coast)... What route should I take (both ways)? I would love to see some landmarks on the way and get the most out of it... amd some good food! And get back to San Diego before midnight... Think music and iconic landmarks more than nature :) I guess Sunset Strip might be part of it?
You know you're getting old when the first thing you think of is.....................why not just have it delivered to your hotel in San Diego??

Feb 24, 2024 at 6:30 AM Post #140,749 of 149,685
Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 6:41 AM Post #140,750 of 149,685
Lol! The Kenmore washer and dryer I have were my mom's and I got them from her when she sold the house I grew up in. She bought them new back around 1980. I had to replace the coupler between the washer motor's driveshaft and the drum a couple years ago, but otherwise, they're both still running fine.
With my wife's family long standing tradition of buying simple upright washer and dryers for many years - very true words that don't apply anymore period. And I had an old school appliance repair man may be 5 years ago confirm that and he would sight down the year the last of the old design uprights were redesigned out to not lasting. Also had bad Samsung fridge and LG clothes washer experiences at q house rental.

Shift of appliance talk to TVs: good quality and reliable brands? Down to buying master bedroom TV in the rebuilt house. Did BIG sony in homehteater, and cheap but well liked TCL for kids game room and (2) offices. Was a Roku man for years but getting used to Google TV now that it's built in everywhere. Amazon knows my buying habits and now Google my browsing and now watching habit.

LG TV seems to be in the nice picture category, but breaks the no Korean (LG and Samsung) appliances rules everyone knows about.

Feb 24, 2024 at 7:41 AM Post #140,751 of 149,685
With my wife's family long standing tradition of buying simple upright washer and dryers for many years - very true words that don't apply anymore period. And I had an old school appliance repair man may be 5 years ago confirm that and he would sight down the year the last of the old design uprights were redesigned out to not lasting. Also had bad Samsung fridge and LG clothes washer experiences at q house rental.
SpeedQueen - simple, reliable, and built like tanks, but can be pricey when it comes to washer and dryers - also US made (Ripon, WI) which is harder to come by these days

Feb 24, 2024 at 7:52 AM Post #140,752 of 149,685

Shift of appliance talk to TVs: good quality and reliable brands? Down to buying master bedroom TV in the rebuilt house. Did BIG sony in homehteater, and cheap but well liked TCL for kids game room and (2) offices. Was a Roku man for years but getting used to Google TV now that it's built in everywhere. Amazon knows my buying habits and now Google my browsing and now watching habit.

LG TV seems to be in the nice picture category, but breaks the no Korean (LG and Samsung) appliances rules everyone knows about.
We have an LG OLED that has been a solid performer for 7 years. Any issues have been related to the wifi/ethernet connection, not the TV.

Feb 24, 2024 at 7:55 AM Post #140,753 of 149,685
Feb 24, 2024 at 8:07 AM Post #140,754 of 149,685
I'm convinced most things are designed and manufactured to fail just outside of their warranty period in order to encourage 'upgrading' and repeat sales. Slimy business practice, if you ask me. 💢

This makes companies like Schiit stand out like almost-unbelievable beacons of light.
I once read even Mercedes were built to last ten years so you would buy a new one. My younger sister bought a Toyota car new, I forget the model. She drove it for about seven years and then I bought it for my son. He drove it through high school and college then gave it to my daughter who drove it to college in the Colorado Rockies. Eventually she sold it to an employee of mine who gave it to her son. It may still be running for all I know. When my son had it someone tried to steal the cd player, and damaged it. The final owner got the CD disk out of the player some 12 years later. I texted my son who was then living in DC and he identified the disk before I told him what it was, Billy Joel, Bridge to Russia disk 2.🤪

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 8:45 AM Post #140,755 of 149,685
I paired my Drop HD6XX with the Vali2++ and must say, Holy Schiit what a combo! The best I've ever heard in my low dollar spending. I've been in the headphone game for quite some time, but the sound coming from this combo puts that grin on my face every time I listen. Totally blown away. My question is: What would be the next logical move up in amps, dollar wise, to further improve the sound? I'm not looking for a slight incremental improvement in sound, but something that highly surprises me once again, like when I finally heard the prior combination. Want to stay in the Schiit eco system, but not ready just yet to shoot for the absolute top.

Feb 24, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #140,756 of 149,685
Sounds very nice with MM2 + Valhalla 2 + Aegir

Screenshot 2024-02-24 at 13.47.03.png
Somehow I missed that one. Listening to it now. Thanks! If you can find it, this is in a similar vein -

Mac.png

Feb 24, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #140,757 of 149,685
I paired my Drop HD6XX with the Vali2++ and must say, Holy Schiit what a combo! The best I've ever heard in my low dollar spending. I've been in the headphone game for quite some time, but the sound coming from this combo puts that grin on my face every time I listen. Totally blown away. My question is: What would be the next logical move up in amps, dollar wise, to further improve the sound? I'm not looking for a slight incremental improvement in sound, but something that highly surprises me once again, like when I finally heard the prior combination. Want to stay in the Schiit eco system, but not ready just yet to shoot for the absolute top.
I just added the Asgard 3 to my collection and been enjoying it since it arrived. I picked it up in the B stock and saved $30. There's one there now if you feel like spending some money on a Saturday morning.
I use a WE 396A tube in my Vali 2 ++ and it's a winner.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #140,758 of 149,685
You know you're getting old when the first thing you think of is.....................why not just have it delivered to your hotel in San Diego??
Haha! Never thought of that! Anyway the ”Journey is the destination” - or whatever… 😁 Maybe I’ll meet some real nice people along the way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back