Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 24, 2024 at 12:18 AM Post #140,731 of 150,605
I'll be thrilled when they open a Schiitr in Texas. šŸ˜
Look out behind your house. That little shack, with the moon cut into the door, is a "Schitter".

Feb 24, 2024 at 12:32 AM Post #140,732 of 150,605
Itā€™s sort of a ā€œkill the messenger thing,ā€œ but I wanted to MURDER Minnick in 2019 when he announced it as best in show. Iā€™d quietly been enjoying it for cheap, consistently for a LONG time. Now itā€™s unobtainium.
Yes! I try to avoid liking anything he chooses as his favorites because their availability will be ruined. Too many sheep in the whiskey world, just waiting for someone else to tell them what to like. :rolling_eyes: I do like Fred as an author - his Rum Curious book was fascinating!

One case in point with regards to hype, when Russell's Reserve 13 first released I chanced upon a bottle from a shop who knew me - purchased at retail because Oregon is a control state, which I mostly like - but then not long after that all the hype over that bottle built up and I realized what an fortunate score it was. It was also absolutely incredible Bourbon, some of the best I had ever drank. But then the next year the price jumped like $50 and then this past year another $50. I was flabbergasted! Just because Russell's could because people kept buying it.

I won't play the hype game with whiskey, especially when there are easily available and very tasty bottles like Old Forester 1920 and various Four Roses Single Barrels (and many others) just sitting on shelves.

Feb 24, 2024 at 12:47 AM Post #140,733 of 150,605
Sounds very nice with MM2 + Valhalla 2 + Aegir

Screenshot 2024-02-24 at 13.47.03.png

Feb 24, 2024 at 12:49 AM Post #140,734 of 150,605
Yes! I try to avoid liking anything he chooses as his favorites because their availability will be ruined. Too many sheep in the whiskey world, just waiting for someone else to tell them what to like. :rolling_eyes: I do like Fred as an author - his Rum Curious book was fascinating!

One case in point with regards to hype, when Russell's Reserve 13 first released I chanced upon a bottle from a shop who knew me - purchased at retail because Oregon is a control state, which I mostly like - but then not long after that all the hype over that bottle built up and I realized what an fortunate score it was. It was also absolutely incredible Bourbon, some of the best I had ever drank. But then the next year the price jumped like $50 and then this past year another $50. I was flabbergasted! Just because Russell's could because people kept buying it.

I won't play the hype game with whiskey, especially when there are easily available and very tasty bottles like Old Forester 1920 and various Four Roses Single Barrels (and many others) just sitting on shelves.
Those Four Roses singles are always worth it, and the Small Batch is also good value. The last 20 years have been bonkers. I know Iā€™ve mentioned this before, but 2009 or so, at a bar I ran, we had Weller in the rail. $17 a liter wholesale. I hate this new world we live in. Hell, even Early Times BIB went on allocation for a hot minute.

Feb 24, 2024 at 1:05 AM Post #140,736 of 150,605
Those Four Roses singles are always worth it, and the Small Batch is also good value. The last 20 years have been bonkers. I know Iā€™ve mentioned this before, but 2009 or so, at a bar I ran, we had Weller in the rail. $17 a liter wholesale. I hate this new world we live in. Hell, even Early Times BIB went on allocation for a hot minute.
It is truly ridonculous. I'm a bit newer to whiskey - generally over the past 8-9 years - and I was juuuuuussssst starting to discover Japanese malts pretty much as they were becoming stupidly unavailable. Now there are a bunch of newer J-whiskies on the shelf from newer distilleries with unknown provenance at still quite high prices. I've kind of just given up on exploring that genre of spirits. šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø

Feb 24, 2024 at 1:41 AM Post #140,738 of 150,605
It is truly ridonculous. I'm a bit newer to whiskey - generally over the past 8-9 years - and I was juuuuuussssst starting to discover Japanese malts pretty much as they were becoming stupidly unavailable. Now there are a bunch of newer J-whiskies on the shelf from newer distilleries with unknown provenance at still quite high prices. I've kind of just given up on exploring that genre of spirits. šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø
Iā€™m tight with a Yamazaki rep and the worm hole is worth it if youā€™re careful. That same bar as the Wellern had the deepest selection of Japanese whisky in the region, and Iā€™d argue in the US, at the time, and it was so good on a price to quality ratio. No mas.

Feb 24, 2024 at 2:02 AM Post #140,739 of 150,605
Iā€™m tight with a Yamazaki rep and the worm hole is worth it if youā€™re careful. That same bar as the Wellern had the deepest selection of Japanese whisky in the region, and Iā€™d argue in the US, at the time, and it was so good on a price to quality ratio. No mas.
I just have to remind myself that there is still a lot of really good whiskey being made and sold and not for predatory prices - often by small craft distilleries like the one I work for. That gives me heart.

Feb 24, 2024 at 2:25 AM Post #140,740 of 150,605
With apologies for derailing great discussion around whiskeys- a topic I otherwise greatly enjoy- I must praise my beloved Gumby for how itā€™s playing (painting? Depicting?) a nuanced, fun electronic album below.

Highly recommended and quite intoxicating to listen to, even without spirits!

IMG_3442.jpeg

Feb 24, 2024 at 2:37 AM Post #140,741 of 150,605
With apologies for derailing great discussion around whiskeys- a topic I otherwise greatly enjoy- I must praise my beloved Gumby for how itā€™s playing (painting? Depicting?) a nuanced, fun electronic album below.

Highly recommended and quite intoxicating to listen to, even without spirits!

IMG_3442.jpeg
I LOVE WEVAL!

They're are so good.

Feb 24, 2024 at 5:15 AM Post #140,742 of 150,605
Gotta share my tune list for tonight. A deviation from the typical Jazz lineup...

1000004721.jpg1000004719.jpg1000004717.jpg

Strolling down memory lane.
I recently bought a half-speed master of Avalon on vinyl.
It was done by Miles Showell at Abbey Road studios.
I love the album and this version sounds stunning!

Feb 24, 2024 at 5:16 AM Post #140,743 of 150,605
Like others have said, be prepared for traffic. Even on Sunday. Probably 3-4 hours each way. I would suggest spending some time at the greatest tourist attraction in all of L.A... The Shiitr! Seriously, you should plan on hanging there for an hour or two, and play around with all the equipment. Will (guy who runs the Shiitr) is always a pleasure to talk to, and the coffee's not bad either.

Enjoy!
absolutely will do that!

Feb 24, 2024 at 5:28 AM Post #140,744 of 150,605
Dear me, I fell a week (well, 6 days) behind on my reading here and I am a whopping 60 (sixty, six-zero) pages (not posts, pages) behind! :sweat_smile: I love this place! Well, the coffee is ready :coffee: letā€™s get rippinā€™! :smiley:

Is this I-fell-behind-on-my-reading-and-have-a-zillion-posts-to-catch-up-but-love-it on the sine wave, btw? :wink:

Feb 24, 2024 at 5:32 AM Post #140,745 of 150,605
Gotta share my tune list for tonight. A deviation from the typical Jazz lineup...

Strolling down memory lane.

Haven't listened to Fogelberg in a while...will have to fix that. Thx for the reminder!

More an Airplane than a Starship fan; will queue up some of their earlier stuff as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back