Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 15, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #139,666 of 153,247
1000016460.jpg

Ok, so in the next month or two I am going to be trying this. However, one wrinkle I'm curious about. I'm planning to use my Loki Max in this setup. Previously had placed it prior to the Freya so I could use the Loki as a switcher between my analog and digital chains. But now I am splitting my digital chain into the HT/2 channel setup so obviously will prefer to place the Loki between the Freya and the Tyrs (with the AVR pre outs going into the Freya).

Will the Loki cause a timing issue with the fronts relative to the surrounds when I'm in "HT bypass"? If so, would setting the Loki to bypass remedy it? I will be experimenting but curious if anyone smarter than me would know intuitively...

Feb 15, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #139,668 of 153,247
A Total Wine opened nearby...

And look what I found!

Delaying opening them until this weekend... it's hard tho. :)
I have had them both🤪 great stuff!

Feb 15, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #139,669 of 153,247
A Total Wine opened nearby...

And look what I found!

Oregon_Distillers_01.jpeg

Delaying opening them until this weekend... it's hard tho. :)
Oh man, it is so unbelievably joy-inducing seeing those bottles in appreciative hands! I do hope you enjoy them, but I also won't be bummed if they don't live up to expectations because with whisk(e)y - as in audio - YMMV.

Cheers!

Feb 15, 2024 at 7:29 PM Post #139,670 of 153,247
Your opinions on the flavor are welcomed. :ksc75smile:

Part of Buffalo Trace I do believe, @sixergixer is better able to describe it I bet. I can only pick out a slight peppery aftertaste and a bit of sweetness. Quite smooth IMHO for 100 proof BIB compared to some I have had.
I've had only limited experience with Colonel Taylor but what I've had has reminded me much of the best Eagle Rare bottles I've had, usually Store Picks and are among my favorites. Very much of the Buffalo Trace house flavor, but deeper and richer. I can understand why these bottles go quickly.

Feb 15, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #139,671 of 153,247
IMG_7345.jpeg

A variation on the Cowen flight board since I never build the same thing twice. I am deciding on glass sizes so no holes cut.

Feb 15, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #139,672 of 153,247
I've had only limited experience with Colonel Taylor but what I've had has reminded me much of the best Eagle Rare bottles I've had, usually Store Picks and are among my favorites. Very much of the Buffalo Trace house flavor, but deeper and richer. I can understand why these bottles go quickly.
I'm enjoying some of this tonight thanks to the tip from my spirit guide* @JamminVMI . Nice flavor and very smooth. I like Pappy better but only when someone else is buying. :laughing:

(*see what I did there? :smile:)

Buffalo Trace.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 8:09 PM Post #139,673 of 153,247
IMG_7345.jpeg

A variation on the Cowen flight board since I never build the same thing twice. I am deciding on glass sizes so no holes cut.
You do outstanding work, Man.

Feb 15, 2024 at 8:13 PM Post #139,674 of 153,247
The weirdest part? The FLAC rips sound better than even Qobuz or Tidal. No, I can't explain it, but none of them sound better than a spinning CD via Urd Unison. YMMV.
I've been saving this for when someone raised the this topic again. I, personally, find it strange but worth sharing:
Keith Johnson, inventor of HDCD, claims that only WAV files guarantee perfect sound reproduction which can't be achieved with any compression, even lossless compression. He says that any file processing even in the digital domain alters it and that executing FLAC decoding affects the sound. In Munich we compared WAV and FLAC files over Boulder’s ingenious 1021 player. This remarkable device accepted DVD-Rs with either FLAC or WAV files. There I had absolutely no doubt that things should be kept simple which favored the WAV files. This launched a lengthy dispute by the Linn guys who came to install their Klimax. Based also on their boss Ivor’s opinion, they were convinced that properly executed FLAC files played back with a decent player offer sound as good as WAV. ... But for Klimax DS it was a fact – I chose sound from FLAC file over WAV.
(from 6moons, don't go there unless you want your eyes burned out from too many ads... :) , this version is better)

The Linn engineers apparently put some work into "favoring FLAC" somehow. I appreciate their efforts :)

Feb 15, 2024 at 8:14 PM Post #139,675 of 153,247
Feb 15, 2024 at 8:15 PM Post #139,676 of 153,247
I'm enjoying some of this tonight thanks to the tip from my spirit guide* @JamminVMI . Nice flavor and very smooth. I like Pappy better but only when someone else is buying. :laughing:

(*see what I did there? :smile:)

Buffalo Trace.jpg

You then need to venture into store picks. Some come scary close to the higher price stuff.

Feb 15, 2024 at 8:28 PM Post #139,678 of 153,247
Probably. 🙄

Feb 15, 2024 at 8:43 PM Post #139,680 of 153,247
Its so funny every time these articles talk about DSD, because as far as I can tell DSD has basically gone no place in a hurry over the years. I once sunk my dollars into a DSD compatible device LHLabs Geek Pulse...and did I get taken for a ride on that one. Now it and several other LHLabs devices just on a shelf, and they went under taking a huge IndeGoGo investment with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back