Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 9, 2024 at 3:32 AM Post #139,111 of 155,170
Mike's post about the 'too good d/s dac' was in June 2019, and the datasheet I located for ES9028Q2M was a pre-release version ~ Rev 0.4x from Jan 2020, so entirely possible that Mike got ahold of an ESS Eval Board with pre-pre-production chipset on it.

Having said that, I would expect Singularity (as Gungnir 2) to offer increased performance (timbre, dynamics, soundstage, etc) vs the ES9028 equipped Modius E, given the expected 4x~5x price differential.
Interesting. I wonder if the FPGA is running the filter ala chord dacs. With Mikes known dislike of D/S it will be interesting to see/hear his take.

Feb 9, 2024 at 5:50 AM Post #139,112 of 155,170
Timeframe matches the Modius development.

the original AKM4493EQ chip was released 2018 or so...and remained in production until the devastating fire at AKM's only fab facility in Oct 2020 (production stopped ofc). Therefore, for production continuity, Schiit switched over to ESS9028 in "Modius E" variant with same basic enclosure form factor. AKM4493SEQ (released in Jan 2022) is an entirely different design, and not pin-compatible with the old part (why???)

but now, there is Singularity on the horizon...
I think he was referring to the Modius AKM4493 - but I'm curious to know for sure. I have another DAC with AKM4493 that I'm playing with.

Feb 9, 2024 at 6:03 AM Post #139,113 of 155,170
Mike's post about the 'too good d/s dac' was in June 2019, and the datasheet I located for ES9028Q2M was a pre-release version ~ Rev 0.4x from Jan 2020, so entirely possible that Mike got ahold of an ESS Eval Board with pre-pre-production chipset on it.

Having said that, I would expect Singularity (as Gungnir 2) to offer increased performance (timbre, dynamics, soundstage, etc) vs the ES9028 equipped Modius E, given the expected 4x~5x price differential.

@Jason Stoddard Perhaps Gungnir 2 will also include a "convenience" headphone TRS output (aka Kara SE stage) with its own HP-only volume control??
If Mike was referring to the Modius with ES9028, and if it was so good... why release the Modius with AKM4493 at all... knowing the other was "so good"... only to then turn around and release it with ES chip? That seems like a lot of trouble to go thru. Who knows? 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 6:30 AM Post #139,114 of 155,170
From my point of view, the original Modius sounded like ass. My Modi Multibit 2 just crushes it.
In 2019 I met a guy at Petty's Meat Market in Longwood, FL to buy a Modi Multibit and Eitr for $275. I didn't know it at the time, but that was one of the best buys I ever made. The Modi Multibit is, dollar for dollar, the best sounding piece of equipment I've ever owned. I plug it in every now and then as it's a very useful tool for checking sanity. It makes me smile and shake my head every time. Probably the only reason I don't use it even more often, if not always, is due to lack of Balanced outputs.

I bought a Bifrost 2/64 when it came out, but was using it with Magnepan 3.7i speakers and different amplification than I have now - both of which were a little syrupy together. I don't think I gave the Bifrost 2/64 a fair shake and I sold it way too quickly - and I regret doing so.

@Jason Stoddard made reference quite some time ago about having some fun / comparing the Bifrost 2/64 and Yggy LIM at the Schiitr. I wonder if anything ever came of that as I haven't come across obvious comparisons being made between the two products. I still have a hunch the Bifrost 2/64 is the "sweet spot" in the Schiit DAC lineup. Someone should tempt me with selling me their used one.

Feb 9, 2024 at 6:43 AM Post #139,115 of 155,170
I'm not sure it is even running now as I use Ropieee and it does not support the fan controller software needed for the fan to operate. It seems you must install the fan controller software for the fan to even operate, which is fine as the case acting as a heatsink is more than enough for a Roon endpoint use case.

Note: My Pi board temp never exceeds 42C without the fan running would not kick in until board temp is 55C if software was installed. And then it would only be at 10% speed.

Here's the manual: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0..._INSTRUCTION_MANUAL_20200922.pdf?v=1646125923

EDIT: There seems to be some mixed info regarding the fan. Some sites indicating that the fan does not run without the software as the GPIO pins that it connects to are not enabled without the software. But then according to ChatGPT the fan runs at 50% without the script being installed and can be speed adjusted and thresholds set based on temps using the software.

All I know is that I have never heard my fan -- even when putting my ear within 3-4 inches of the case. There is no jumper to disable. If the presence of the fan makes you nervous, FLIRC is a good case too.
I have the same Argon One case for my pi4. My fan could be heard (probably a bad fan) so I simply unplugged the fan when assembling it. It like the Flirc case has thermal pads and the case is the heat sink. Runs at 31 degrees C which is similar to the pi with the Flirc case i have.

Feb 9, 2024 at 8:33 AM Post #139,117 of 155,170
I ordered an Asgard 3 on Wednesday morning and it's supposed to be delivered today. Two days to go from California to New Jersey. Good job Schiit and the USPS.
Have owned an Asgard 3 for the past few years. It's a great all around headphone amplifier that works well with planars and dynamics.
For many enthusiasts it can be part of an end game headphone system. Best of luck with your new A3! 👍

Feb 9, 2024 at 8:42 AM Post #139,118 of 155,170
Try the dram from your neighbour to the north as well. Wyoming Whiskey is quite good! Haven’t had the Stranahan’s.
+1 on Wyoming Whiskey. :smiley_cat:

Feb 9, 2024 at 8:49 AM Post #139,119 of 155,170
For sine wave purposes. Trying out some locale wares.
1000016267.jpg
1000009327.jpg

Feb 9, 2024 at 8:58 AM Post #139,120 of 155,170
Two Yggy OG, Silver, 230V closeout.
I believe that Schiit will re-wire the transformer for 115V for an additional $60 upon request.

Interesting. I wonder if the FPGA is running the filter ala chord dacs. With Mikes known dislike of D/S it will be interesting to see/hear his take.
I once thought I hated red wines until I had a very good red wine. It turns out I just hated bad red wines. I suspect Mike has come to the realization that he doesn't hate D/S - - he just hates poorly designed D/S. :D

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 9:02 AM Post #139,121 of 155,170
Try the dram from your neighbour to the north as well. Wyoming Whiskey is quite good! Haven’t had the Stranahan’s.

+1 on Wyoming Whiskey. :smiley_cat:
Will have to try! I'm just getting into bourbon and so far enjoy the Stranahan. Whatever I get from @Paladin79 list for the flight board I will get one of myself since those are probably an upgrade from my beginner's stock. Last night's was as celebration for a particularly good sports bet (my longest odd winner ever) panning out, but don't need to add that topic to the sine wave I suspect... :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #139,122 of 155,170
Will have to try! I'm just getting into bourbon and so far enjoy the Stranahan. Whatever I get from @Paladin79 list for the flight board I will get one of myself since those are probably an upgrade from my beginner's stock. Last night's was as celebration for a particularly good sports bet (my longest odd winner ever) panning out, but don't need to add that topic to the sine wave I suspect... :ksc75smile:
Find the EH Taylor bottled in bond and I will include Glencairn glasses! 🤪

Feb 9, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #139,123 of 155,170
... AKM4493SEQ (released in Jan 2022) is an entirely different design, and not pin-compatible with the old part (why???)
Well, the conspiracy theorists would say AKM burned down their own plant because they wanted to force everyone to use their new, incompatible, chips.

Feb 9, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #139,125 of 155,170
I find it funny how many folks have a half-rack-width stack with an out-of-place multibit sitting awkwardly on top. It is a downright fantastic piece of equipment. I want to be done with the wall wart, and I want to switch to Unison USB, but I can't walk away from my MM1. It sounds too good

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back