Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 7, 2024 at 11:22 PM Post #138,977 of 153,808
I would too, but good luck finding analog 2 cards. ☹️
I keep forgetting that “analog cards” contain the DAC chips. That’s just counterintuitive to my grey matter, for some reason. My bad.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 11:28 PM Post #138,978 of 153,808
I think I’d go Analog 2 for my GS2 before trying MIB. I’d appreciate hearing your thought process on doing the MIB first. I
Yeah, I had planned at some point to do Analog 2, but I guess my chance is passed on that one. I did get the impression that with the firmware upgrades the analog 1 was improved in performance as well, and as long as you're not trying to drive low impedance devices there was less tangible benefit of A2 over A1.

Feb 7, 2024 at 11:33 PM Post #138,979 of 153,808
I don't have a definitive answer on this. First time I've ever seen it. But looking at the base of one of my tubes, a wire is connected to Pin 4 and disappears between the plates in one triode. Another wire exits that triode and goes to the other triode and then disappears between the plates. Then there's a wire exiting that triode that is connected to Pin 5. Pins 4 and 5 are the heater (filament) connections, so it looks like the heater wire itself is continuous from Pin 4 to Pin 5 going through both triodes. The section of wire between the two triodes is normally at the bottom of the plates, not the top as would appear to be the case with your tube. It's possible (and I'm just spitballing here) that something was out of whack during assembly and the wire between the triodes ended up on top instead of at the bottom. Whether you use it or not is of course up to you. Personally, I wouldn't use it even though it may be OK electrically. Just not worth the risk (to me).

Non-Schiit Factory Floor:

Employee: "Hey boss, the new guy set up the winding machine wrong, and this last batch of 5000 6DJ8's has the filament on top."
Boss: "What? You mean the filament wire between the triodes is above the plates?"
Employee: "Exactly."
Boss: "And we ran 5000 of these before anybody noticed? Are you serious? The entire batch is done like that?!?"
Employee: "Afraid so."
Boss: "Do they work?"
Employee: "Yes sir, they seem to work just fine."
Boss: "Ship 'em."

🤣
... Boss: "Hey! Label 'em as SQ 'filament getter'. MSRP: existing +20%."

Feb 7, 2024 at 11:42 PM Post #138,980 of 153,808
How many do you need? I've got some NOS, NIB red base 5692's just taking up space.

5692 with Saga is an absolutely good pairing. I currently use the Jan-CHY-5692 brown base version as an excellent pre to the Forge amp with RCA 6SU7GTY (made by Tung Sol) + JJ KT88 power and man that 5692 Brown Base complements the holographic sound of the 6SU7 but now adds mass and heft with a nice dose of harmonic richness that the Forge needs or else it sounds a bit dry for a tube amp. I've rolled some other tubes such as Russian 6H8C and Sylvania 6SN7GTB Tall tube and late production CBS 6SN7GTB and nothing gets the balance with the 6SU7GTY driver tube from the Forge as good as the 5692 Brown Base from Saga

Feb 7, 2024 at 11:50 PM Post #138,981 of 153,808
I had to steal the cables connecting my Fulla to the head unit but I got the Piety connected. :ksc75smile: :beerchug: And Holy Schiit. I ordered a cable so I can get the Fulla back as a DAC to feed the Piety. My wife came in, sat down, and began looking around the room intently. She says "I know you didn't buy anything, what did you do to the system?" Once I explained it she says, "it's awesome, the music got fat and filled the room" I thought that was an apt description. It also added a wider and deeper soundstage.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 12:28 AM Post #138,983 of 153,808
Yes they do! Well, I don't know about WalMart -- I upgraded to the Target parking lot weeks ago. My new address:

Target Parking Lot
Faded yellow '74 AMC Pacer (in the event of more than one, it's the one with cardboard duct-taped inside the windows)
Atlanta, GA.

That should get anything right to me. For now. 🤣
... what happened to your Mazda? Or is that your vacation home @ Tractor Supply lot? 😜

Feb 8, 2024 at 1:02 AM Post #138,984 of 153,808
I don't have a definitive answer on this. First time I've ever seen it. But looking at the base of one of my tubes, a wire is connected to Pin 4 and disappears between the plates in one triode. Another wire exits that triode and goes to the other triode and then disappears between the plates. Then there's a wire exiting that triode that is connected to Pin 5. Pins 4 and 5 are the heater (filament) connections, so it looks like the heater wire itself is continuous from Pin 4 to Pin 5 going through both triodes. The section of wire between the two triodes is normally at the bottom of the plates, not the top as would appear to be the case with your tube. It's possible (and I'm just spitballing here) that something was out of whack during assembly and the wire between the triodes ended up on top instead of at the bottom. Whether you use it or not is of course up to you. Personally, I wouldn't use it even though it may be OK electrically. Just not worth the risk (to me).

Non-Schiit Factory Floor:

Employee: "Hey boss, the new guy set up the winding machine wrong, and this last batch of 5000 6DJ8's has the filament on top."
Boss: "What? You mean the filament wire between the triodes is above the plates?"
Employee: "Exactly."
Boss: "And we ran 5000 of these before anybody noticed? Are you serious? The entire batch is done like that?!?"
Employee: "Afraid so."
Boss: "Do they work?"
Employee: "Yes sir, they seem to work just fine."
Boss: "Ship 'em."

🤣
Were they Russian tubes? If so, then it would have been :

Sotrudnik: «Ey, boss, novichok nepravil'no nastroil namotochnuyu mashinu, i v etoy posledney partii iz 5000 6DJ8 nit' nakalivaniya okazalas' sverkhu».
Boss: «Chto? Vy imeyete v vidu, chto nakal'naya provoloka mezhdu triodami nakhoditsya nad plastinami?»
Sotrudnik: «Imenno».
Boss: «I my vypustili 5000 shtuk, prezhde chem kto-nibud' zametil? Vy ser'yezno? Vsya partiya sdelana vot tak?!?»
Sotrudnik: «Boyus', chto da».
Boss: «Oni rabotayut?»
Sotrudnik: «Da, ser, kazhetsya, oni rabotayut normal'no».
Boss: «Otprav'te ikh».

*Assuming Google Translate knows its Schiit

:xf_cool:

Feb 8, 2024 at 1:08 AM Post #138,985 of 153,808
We need to see a picture of the MGB GT, please!
It is my friend's. Has had some brake and suspension upgrades but otherwise stock.

IMG_4280.jpeg

IMG_4283.jpeg

Feb 8, 2024 at 1:15 AM Post #138,986 of 153,808
I personally like Weller Full Proof but I haven't had it in a year or two. So, while not knowing if year-to-year batches have changed any, I think you made a fine choice.

Of the regular Weller lineup, I like in order: Weller CYPB (not sure if this is still being bottled so maybe this gets omitted), Weller Full Proof, Weller Antique 107.
After doing some solder station shopping I was absolutely flummoxed trying to understand this before my better senses caught up. Or maybe it was my barrel proof senses 🙃

Feb 8, 2024 at 1:55 AM Post #138,987 of 153,808
Yeah, I had planned at some point to do Analog 2, but I guess my chance is passed on that one. I did get the impression that with the firmware upgrades the analog 1 was improved in performance as well, and as long as you're not trying to drive low impedance devices there was less tangible benefit of A2 over A1.
Fair that. Thanks!

Feb 8, 2024 at 2:28 AM Post #138,988 of 153,808

For me, this pretty much sums up everything that's to be said about that topic.

You good people could always do the unthinkable, and adopt the large. but well thought out British mains plug / socket!!??
Just sayin'... 😵‍💫

Attachments

• 51EqHWUE75L._SL1200_-4113826439.jpg
    51EqHWUE75L._SL1200_-4113826439.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back