Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 1, 2024 at 11:44 PM Post #138,286 of 150,567
I run mpd on alpine linux. I did use the pi2aes with a raspberry pi 4 before upgrading to the pi 5. I do think the 5 was a noticeable improvement sonically.

I will say I would be very surprised if moode stopped supporting i2s on the raspberry pi 5 (edit: If they haven't updated the underlying OS in their releases to Bookworm I could see that being a blocker but once they do, which I would bet is soon, it should be no problem). I had absolutely no issues switching my setup over to the pi 5. In fact, I upgraded my alpine linux to the latest version while I was still on the pi 4, made sure all the latest drivers were in place, then literally just took the sd card out, put it in the pi 5, assembled everything and booted up with no problems.

Since the raspberry pi uses the device tree overlay (dtoverlay) system for drivers, I can see absolutely no reason why moode would have to stop supporting i2s devices on the pi 5. AFAIK the drop down that lets you choose "Hifiberry Digi+ Pro" or whatever it is for your i2s device in moode, is just enumerating the dtoverlay files. Last time I looked at moode (admittedly quite a few months ago), they were still using mpd with alsa behind the scenes; exactly what I'm doing. In my case I have no fancy dropdown, I just reference the correct dtoverlay file in a config file and reboot.

Screen Shot 2024-02-01 at 5.34.48 PM.png

Also nice thing about the pi 5 is you can get an expansion board to run NVMe storage.
I should have said "yet" on some of the softwares not supporting i2s. Definitely expect it to. I wanted to do nvme with the pi2aes Mercury but there were reports of overheating and I sold the unit. I like the idea but external to my Rock works great.
For those of you that enjoy some fingerstyle guitar, try this one.

Really nice. I love the genre, especially some of the artists that lean more Appalachian or American Primitive (early Daniel Bachman, Glenn Jones, Jack Rose, etc, it's still a small but vibrant genre, I've really gotten into Matthew J Rolin as well)

Feb 1, 2024 at 11:46 PM Post #138,287 of 150,567
Feb 1, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #138,288 of 150,567
All this tailgate talk reminds me of George Carlin's declaration:

There's Only 2 Types of Drivers: Maniacs and Idiots.

If someone passes you, they're a Maniac! If someone is slower than you, they're an Idiot!

🤣
... what about the a/hole who is in a hurry to pass you five feet in front - then slows down 🧐🤨😡?

Feb 2, 2024 at 12:04 AM Post #138,290 of 150,567
... is the illegality in calling the potion 'beer'?
It is brewed and not distilled. Two cases can cost $1,000 to produce and Samual Adam’s makes it as well. Utopias. One of the Koch brothers paid $2,000 for one bottle.

Oh and it is the high ABV that makes it illegal since it is still considered beer.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 12:19 AM Post #138,292 of 150,567
An interesting vacation idea. You'd automatically have souvenirs when you got back home. :smile:
... and they wouldn't be TSA no-nos 😏

Feb 2, 2024 at 1:39 AM Post #138,295 of 150,567
Oh my gosh!

Worked late and I have 9 pages waiting... Might as well wait until tomorrow....

The struggle is real...! ...but worth it 😜

Feb 2, 2024 at 4:14 AM Post #138,296 of 150,567
Re TT mounting…

Doesn’t that depend on the mass and stability of the cabinet and floor type?

Mounting a TT on a shelf attached to drywall… isn’t that a pulsating mount?

I also think it depends on the type of platter/tonearm suspension.
Yes those are good points - but having owned / borrowed both suspended platter decks ( AR XB1 , Linn LP12, Pink Triangle Anniversary ) and non suspended ( Rega P3, and Pink Triangle LPT ) I have always found improvement when the deck is not sitting on a big resonant box ie a cabinet , if you have drywall / stud walls if you can get a shelf screwed directly into the wooden studs that works remarkably well too , as I mentioned though its not always possible to do this and experimenting with where your deck is on the cabinet for example directly above a vertical internal divider or having a suitable interface between the cabinet and deck is worth trying and need not cost much if anything .

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 5:32 AM Post #138,298 of 150,567
Purchased items incur import duties. Regardless of whether they were purchased from a professional seller, a manufacturer, or a private person, and regardless of whether the item is new or used.
Gifts also incur import duties above a certain value threshold, depending on the laws of the country you're importing to.

The threshold for gifts imported into Germany, for example, is a ridiculously puny 45EUR. To add insult to injury, that 45 EUR includes shipping cost — which makes it virtually impossible to send something from the US to Germany "for free" since the shipping cost alone is often already higher than that threshold.

I get that it's annoying. But what I don't understand is why this topic keeps cropping up at such regular intervals. Same goes for the somewhat steeper international cost of shipping itself. Do you guys really think that the things you purchase at your local store don't cost as much to import? Because of course they do. It's just already wrapped into the purchase price. And so even though you're not quite as aware of it, you're still paying the same fees and taxes as you do when you import goods from Schiit.

Personally, as frustrating as it may be to be reminded of those fees, duties, and taxes, I prefer the transparency. That way, at least you know who gets to keep how much. That way it makes it much harder for your government to hide their taxes and duties than it would be in the case of a single lump sum.
Which, incidentally, I am convinced is the main reason why Europeans are "ok" with paying such outrageous VAT rates (19% in Germany, for example), while US-Americans are not: In Europe, the VAT is always included in the purchase price, you almost never get to see the net price of what you're buying. If you want to know how much of that the vendor gets to keep, you have to get calculating.

If you buy, say, a Vali, you know that Schiit gets 149USD. That's as fair and transparent as it gets. And for the difference, I suggest you take that up with your shipping agent and that you keep this in mind whenever you have to choose who to vote for.

The alternative would be for Schiit to raise their prices considerably! across the entire product lineup and then offer "free" international shipping and/or "domestic" distribution outlets in each of the countries they sell enough wares into. And by "considerably," I mean 30-50% at least, because that stuff sure ain't cheap! So when all is said and done, you'd still be paying roughly as much as you're already paying, it'll just be hidden behind a much higher purchase price.
Ancient Mongolian saying....
"You can't please all of the people, all of the time." 😬
Mr. A P, You always, (well nearly always🤔), bring some common sense to this forum.
BTW.... speaking of.Schiity costs, I'm in England !!

Feb 2, 2024 at 6:56 AM Post #138,299 of 150,567
Start rolling the input tubes of Valhalla 2 ... the stock 6N1P sounds different with the spare 6N1P with the rocket logo....

Stock is tighter and easy listening, Rocket one with better soundscape, better instrument seperation, a little bit brighter at mids.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 7:31 AM Post #138,300 of 150,567
In 'Murica, flashing your lights at other drivers is constitutionally protected 1st amendment free speech. Apparently, speeders in various states took such a case all the way to the Supremes...
This is true. That said, I *much* prefer the German autobahn approach of using your left signal as you approach from behind and want to pass someone already in the left lane. That said, lane discipline in Germany, while orders of magnitude better than here in USA, is not as good as it was 20 or 30 years ago (IME). My last trip there this last November had several ARSCH’s (as angry German drivers yell) camped in the high speed lane on just a 30 minute Bahn-drive…

The court case about flashing lights was in response to authorities trying to ticket people for warning others of speed traps ahead by flashing lights. I believe, IIRC, the example of Paul Revere’s (one if by land, two if by see) light warnings were cited… :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back