Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 26, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #137,611 of 150,567
I wish for a schiit streamer in 2024
Too late. They released their streamer last year. It's called: URD. Supports up to nearly eighty minutes of bit-perfect music per stream. Supports unlimited streams. Not making it up. Even better, you own your own streams - no monthly rental to the big man in the cloud.

Sure, there is some labour involved in swapping streams, however, being actively involved in your streaming has health benefits. Exercise is good for one's health and well being. Not only is the URD an excellent streamer, it's also a health improvement device - like fancy fitness equipment - without the sweating. 🤣

Jan 26, 2024 at 9:16 PM Post #137,612 of 150,567
... If you were making the choice to go with 2xGjallarhorn or 1xAegir 1, which would you choose, and why? ... and it seems that the price/performance ratio between these two is very similar. ...
For me, space is at a premium. Add to that that Schiit as a company has zero problem in making "similar sounding" products at all the difference price points. (e.g. multibit from 300 to approx 3,000 U.S. dollars.)

With that in mind, 2 GJ at 135x2 cubic inches vs 1 Aegir at approx 468 cubic inches.... 'tho Rekkr, if powerful enough, would be even better at 22x2 cubic inches.

Rekkrs with Wharfedale Lintons FTW! Not being familiar with the Focal sound, I might still consider Focal Chora 826 and Rekkrs :wink:
(going by https://gagadget.com/en/363028-high-sensitivity-speakers/)

Jan 26, 2024 at 9:28 PM Post #137,613 of 150,567
... the majority of the deep bass (below ~70Hz) is handled by a subwoofer, and I'm thinking the Class A (ish) power will be an upgrade in accuracy for the main channels....
IME, moving as much of the bass to a subwoofer and high passing the L/R reaps enormous benefits in terms of clarity, dynamics and transient speed.

The best system I've owned had stereo subwoofers handling everything under 110Hz. As bass takes the most power and subs can come with 1000W amps these days....

(somewhat jokingly, a pair of Seaton Sound Submersive and some Totem Kin Play Minis, assuming a successful crossover effort, would be amazing...)

Jan 26, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #137,614 of 150,567
IME, moving as much of the bass to a subwoofer and high passing the L/R reaps enormous benefits in terms of clarity, dynamics and transient speed.

The best system I've owned had stereo subwoofers handling everything under 110Hz. As bass takes the most power and subs can come with 1000W amps these days....

(somewhat jokingly, a pair of Seaton Sound Submersive and some Totem Kin Play Minis, assuming a successful crossover effort, would be amazing...)

That hasn't been my experience. I find that coherence across the spectrum is better when the mains handle more of the bass frequencies than that, as long as they're up to the task, at least down to 80Hz or so. For this system, the Ascend monitors are port-dampened to steepen the bass rolloff and the HSU I'm using blends very well at 70Hz, with good response down to 25Hz and that's all I need. The upper bass transients have better speed with a 6" bass driver than a 10" one if powered correctly, IMO. This is why I've not made the move away from the NAD, as it excels in this aspect, with plenty of headroom.

Granted, if you're crossing over at 110Hz, stereo subs will solve some of the coherence and source directionality issues at those upper bass frequencies, but for a nearfield system such as mine it's overkill and not much of a benefit at all when blended properly at 70Hz.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 10:34 PM Post #137,615 of 150,567
Superb Friday evening listening, just out on various outlets (picked it on Qobuz). I feel so privileged for having been able to catch Ibrahim in an extended gig in Oakland right before the pandemic. Feeling, deep cross-cultural inspiration, and commitment to peace in music, only matched by Charles Lloyd in my book.

RoonShareImage-638418938978527060.png

Jan 26, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #137,616 of 150,567
Not that I recommend this from a budget perspective (even though I see discussions here about more expensive cars than this), but active Linn Klimax 360s we have now in our big, difficult living space play that game beautifully, and can be matched to that space incredibly well thanks to Linn's latest space optimization DSP and a very careful mapping of the space. The best bass experience we've had at home, by far. If you are into minimalism, this is a very good test:

Our other speaker system is lovely, but the ATC SCM40As can't dig nearly as deep.

Jan 26, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #137,617 of 150,567
back ten-fifteen years or so when I used them in push-pull mono blocks, they 'sounded' great.
I've been way too self-indulgent in tube rolling for my two 2A3 based SET amps, why stop now :grin:

Jan 26, 2024 at 11:04 PM Post #137,618 of 150,567
Not that I recommend this from a budget perspective (even though I see discussions here about more expensive cars than this), but active Linn Klimax 360s we have now in our big, difficult living space play that game beautifully, and can be matched to that space incredibly well thanks to Linn's latest space optimization DSP and a very careful mapping of the space. The best bass experience we've had at home, by far. If you are into minimalism, this is a very good test:

Our other speaker system is lovely, but the ATC SCM40As can't dig nearly as deep.

That's a serious piece of kit there with the Linn pair! Thanks for the music recs also. My Scottish heritage as a Gordon peaks my interest for the speakers, my pocketbook does not allow based on current priorities. Maybe if I didn't buy that Miata last year... Beautiful for sure!

Jan 26, 2024 at 11:11 PM Post #137,619 of 150,567
I always found the Threshold, Krell, and Forte’ stuff too bright for my tastes (back then) and 30 year-old ears. And, I found all the ML gear back then to just be too dark; again, THEN. Always loved every Pass I ever heard. But try to find affordable Pass to drive Apogees…. <grin>. To me, the Krell (especially) just didnt’ “work” right with my Apogees. My fellow traveler and friend with Martin Logans LOVE the interaction he got with his Krell KSA. (We would periodically swap gear - just never swapped speakers because #hassle).
Funny, I lived happily with Apogees powered by Threshold for several years. Then I decided to reclaim some floor space, providing more room to play with our then-young kids, and the Apogees left. My Threshold amps are still here. Even funnier: the stereo store I frequented, actually made a pest of myself in, for several months while trying to decide between Apogee (Stage) and Martin-Logan (Sequel) for my Congratulations, You Graduated present to myself, powered their Apogees with Krell. MDA-100, I think. At that time, my power was provided by Rotel, it would be nine years before I added those Threshold amps.

Jan 26, 2024 at 11:21 PM Post #137,621 of 150,567
Am I the only one who finds that the Six Moon reviews are filled with really dense text that's hard to understand? I'm sure they mean well, I just struggle to understand what they're actually saying.
You're not the only one. I find the website to be extremely hard on the eyes and I'm not a fan of their reviewing style.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 11:40 PM Post #137,622 of 150,567
1706315319314.png

Is Rachmaninoff's 2nd Symphony criminally underrated?

Yes. Yes, it is.
This performance and recording fairly floored me. And that was just lossy streamed on my big bluetoof speaker in the Blending House! Can't imagine it on the HiFi. Will be finding out this weekend.

Jan 26, 2024 at 11:41 PM Post #137,623 of 150,567
You're not the only one. I find the website to be extremely hard on the eyes and I'm not a fan of their reviewing style.
The writer is knowledgeable, but they really need an editor and the assistance of a skilled web designer.

The only way I can attempt to read the page is on my phone while using the "visible text" option.

I used this actual page as an example of a website that is not effective due to the fact it is so difficult to read - "class, this is not what a blog or webpage should look like". (Business Communication class discussing digital platforms).

Jan 26, 2024 at 11:45 PM Post #137,625 of 150,567

Users who are viewing this thread

Back