Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 21, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #137,101 of 155,073
Wow, I'd better call the IRS and ask them for my money back. When I sold 5 shares of Tesla and immediately reinvested the proceeds into Johnson & Johnson, Uncle Sam demanded I pay taxes on my capital gains. I'm glad you informed me about their mistake. They should know better. Or tried to pull a fast one on me.

Yeah, I am not sure why people on this thread seem to think this is a thing that exists. Under the United States Tax Code, if you sell stock for more than you paid, you generate a gain which is taxable in the year you sold it. Doesn't matter what you do or do not buy with the proceeds, it is a taxable gain either at long term capital gains or normal income rates depending on how long you owned the equity. Now, you still may not end up oweing taxes if other transactions generated enough losses to offset the gains on the sale, but that is a totally different thing.

Jan 21, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #137,102 of 155,073
Oh, and it makes little sense to upgrade the fuse without upgrading your wall outlet too. You're welcome. 🤣

1705865133080.png

I'm not sure why they label it as "gold" when it's obviously orange. And I'm pretty sure an equal weight in actual gold wouldn't amount to that much at current prices. But here I am questioning stuff, so I'm probably not worthy. But maybe you are. 🤣
I wonder if those ship in the original Leviton/Hubbell/Eaton/LeGrand cardboard boxes or are they kind enough to buy fancy wooden boxes from @Paladin79?

Jan 21, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #137,103 of 155,073
All dividends are used to buy more stock so in ten years time it will have compounded nicely.
.... and everyone knows (but 🐝🐮N) that the standard deviation of monthly / quarterly returns declines by: 1/[T(ime)^0.5] ☑️ 🤣

Jan 21, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #137,104 of 155,073
Has it ever happened to you where you're sitting there totally immersed and engaged in the musical presentation flowing into your ears from that stack of Schiit, and you start to feel a little guilty? Like how did I get such magnificent sound for so little money? Maybe even to the point you feel like you've possibly even been stealing stuff from Schiit, unintentional though it may be? Yes? Well, I'm here to help. In case you missed it, the new Tweek Geek flyer is out. No, this doesn't help Schiit, but it will help get your expenditure level to a point that your feelings of guilt are meaningfully assuaged. 🤣

1705865087652.png

Now some of you may be sitting there thinking "Hell, man, it'd be cheaper to just buy six Bifrost 2's and let them blow up without a fuse." And technically you'd be correct, but you'd also be missing the point which means you're not worthy of a fuse like this.

Oh, and it makes little sense to upgrade the fuse without upgrading your wall outlet too. You're welcome. 🤣

1705865133080.png

I'm not sure why they label it as "gold" when it's obviously orange. And I'm pretty sure an equal weight in actual gold wouldn't amount to that much at current prices. But here I am questioning stuff, so I'm probably not worthy. But maybe you are. 🤣
Why upgrade the wall socket when the wall is cardboard - even triple layer corrugated 🤷🏻‍♂️?

Jan 21, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #137,106 of 155,073
Question for @Jason Stoddard if he’s willing to answer—most of your amps use discrete designs because you say you prefer it. (With obvious exceptions like the Heretic.) yet your DACs as far as I can tell still use op-amps to bring the signal to line-level. Why don’t you also use discrete amplification in your DACs?
Jason wrote this about Yggdrasil:
A multiplying DAC needs two really really good, super highly linear, ultra-low-settling time gain stages, per channel. In a hardware-balanced configuration, like Yggdrasil, 8 discrete gain stages is a biiiiiig and power-hungry load, and eclipses the limits of the Yggdrasil's shunt-regulated power supply.

So, yeah, op-amps. Until I figure out something better. Maybe in a couple of years.
This was Jason's chapter on discrete vs integrated: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...most-improbable-start-up.701900/post-17603364

Jan 21, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #137,108 of 155,073
Jan 21, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #137,110 of 155,073
Mechanical timers. Got 2 of 'em in the same room. Right across from my Schiit-kit. Good call @Sinister Whisperz ... I suspected as much.

By 2025, I should have a pretty damn good idea what it's like running Schiit Audio in the bush. I've also been hanging around with some interesting dudes (Men's Shed) and they are suggesting I set up an all-DC woodworking shop. Buy used table top power tools (drill press, table saw,...) Swap out all the AC motors for DC. Oy. Could be interesting!
Do they have digital in and digital out so you can connect your DAC(s) for reclocking? I bet that would reduce jitter.

Jan 21, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #137,111 of 155,073
The universe sure does like balance...

For my final tube purchase yesterday, I decided to be a little frugal and order only 3 pairs of 1960's Amperex ECC88's. Thanks to @Paladin79 for recommending them to me a bit over a year ago. They are absolutely wonderful tubes in the Freya N. The sellers were selling their dad's fairly large collection. Their dad's family is from my area and they used to spend Summers here visiting family when they were kids. Anyway, they emailed me this morning and they had one pair of the tubes left after my purchase so they added that to my shipment at no cost and are not charging me shipping. What a wonderful surprise to wake up to!

Then I stopped at the post office after getting the groceries. Waiting for me was a bill from Fed-Ex for taxes and fees from the Gungnir Multibit I bought from a fellow Schiitizen in December. CDN$205! I'll call the Canadian tax folks tomorrow to get a clear understanding if this bill is valid. Private purchases of used goods for personal-use are generally not taxable. The cross-border monster may be rearing its ugly wart-covered head.

On the plus side, I have the arrival of 20 tubes to look forward to!

FedEx is famous for these unauthorized, after-the-fact charges that show up in your mail box.

I ignore them. You may end up with a collections agency calling your house for awhile, but you can easily block the calls.

Really, they aren’t going to do anything about chasing you for $200 you never agreed to pay.

Jan 21, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #137,112 of 155,073
Urd spin:
IMG_9199.jpeg

Jan 21, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #137,114 of 155,073
FedEx is famous for these unauthorized, after-the-fact charges that show up in your mail box.

I ignore them. You may end up with a collections agency calling your house for awhile, but you can easily block the calls.

Really, they aren’t going to do anything about chasing you for $200 you never agreed to pay.

Good to know! Sounds just like parking tickets in privately run parking lots.

Jan 21, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #137,115 of 155,073
For tonight:
Visual: NFL
Audio: Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Freddie Hubbard, Stravinsky, and so on
Nosh: Ghiradeli
Dram: Aberlour

Users who are viewing this thread

Back