Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 21, 2024 at 12:53 AM Post #137,056 of 150,933
Oh cool, me too! I just bought my tickets :grin:

I'll be going with someone who is not much of a classical music fan, but did want to go to this concert with me. Maybe the experience will open his mind more.
The concert has an appealing all-Sibelius program (Finlandia, Violin Concerto, Symphony No. 1) that makes it a good one for someone less familiar with classical music. Batiashvili has an outstanding recording of the Sibelius concerto.

0002894796041_300.jpg

Jan 21, 2024 at 1:21 AM Post #137,057 of 150,933
IMG_4077.jpeg
Peter Gabriel’s i/o
The CD has both the bright-side and dark-side mixes. So far, I prefer the dark-side mix.

Good stuff, and good to hear from Mr Gabriel again.
I prefer the dark side too.

Jan 21, 2024 at 1:24 AM Post #137,058 of 150,933

The soundtrack to tonight's office session.
Her rendition of Cinderella's Grand Waltz is 👨🏻‍🍳👌🏻
I see that both violin concertos are on this album too. I love both (with a preference for number 1). I will certainly play this album today.

I don't know Prokofiev's Cinderella, but I do love both Romeo and Juliet and The Love for Three Oranges, so these are welcome extras.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 4:02 AM Post #137,059 of 150,933
Jan 21, 2024 at 4:04 AM Post #137,060 of 150,933
1705803737709.png

The soundtrack to tonight's office session.
Her rendition of Cinderella's Grand Waltz is 👨🏻‍🍳👌🏻
A soloist and a conductor I am paying attention to. Will give this an enthusiastic listen.

Jan 21, 2024 at 4:16 AM Post #137,061 of 150,933
I see that both violin concertos are on this album too. I love both (with a preference for number 1). I will certainly play this album today.

I don't know Prokofiev's Cinderella, but I do love both Romeo and Juliet and The Love for Three Oranges, so these are welcome extras.
Oh man, please check out this very fun piano performance by Martha Argerich and Mikhail Pletnev. They inject so much magic in this music!

IMG_6301.png

Jan 21, 2024 at 4:24 AM Post #137,062 of 150,933
Please do yourself a favor. Give a listen to Circuit des Yeux's track 'Stranger' and decide if you dig what you are hearing out of her four octave vocal range. If not, you are not meant for her and she is not meant for you. Don't take it too hard.

This is to me amazing and engaging music making.

IMG_6300.png

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 5:42 AM Post #137,063 of 150,933
Oh man, please check out this very fun piano performance by Martha Argerich and Mikhail Pletnev. They inject so much magic in this music!

IMG_6301.png
Thanks for the tip. Martha Argerich has also played parts of Romeo and Juliet for four hands, not sure if that was with the same partner. Anyway, Argerich is always interesting. I love for example Janacek violin sonatas played by her and Gidon Kremer.

Jan 21, 2024 at 5:53 AM Post #137,064 of 150,933

Listening to it now, and I really love the performance of both concertos. My up till now favorite performances by Shlomo Mintz have to accept second place now.

Mixed feelings about the Dance of the Knights. That has nothing to do with the performance. But......Prokofiev deliberately made this piece sound bombastic, heavy, loud. And that is missing here, as the orchestra had to be tamed in order to be able to hear the violin. So, although played beautifully, this is not the Dance of the Knights for me. Maybe I will get used to it as a beautiful piece in its own right after repeated listening.

Jan 21, 2024 at 7:36 AM Post #137,065 of 150,933
I've heard the LFT-3's and LFT-8's in years past, but have only owned the LFT-11's. The LFT-11's sound excellent when properly set up, but need to have the baffle of the woofer box at the same height and slightly forward of the plane of the panels to integrate within reason. I liked the LFT-3's quite a bit, but (personally) preferred the Apogee presentation back when I was auditioning them all. I haven't heard any of the recent offerings.
Thanks BC.... Interesting!

Jan 21, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #137,066 of 150,933
Sometimes I have to scroll up to make sure I’m still reading the right thread.

Question for @Jason Stoddard if he’s willing to answer—most of your amps use discrete designs because you say you prefer it. (With obvious exceptions like the Heretic.) yet your DACs as far as I can tell still use op-amps to bring the signal to line-level. Why don’t you also use discrete amplification in your DACs? Relatedly, will Schiit ever make a tube DAC?

Jan 21, 2024 at 9:35 AM Post #137,067 of 150,933
Why am I not surprised? I'm beginning to form a Hugh Hefner image of you in my mind.... :wink:
Well a lot of women show up for my wife’s pottery as well, I am not sure men have the same interest unless it is a coffee cup or mescal copa.😉 I often show my work and some want to hear my audio system after hearing the one I built for my wife’s studio. I try to be cordial. I generally put on an Art Pepper CD, run that through a Gungnir, into a PrimaLuna integrated tube amp into Sonus Faber speakers with REL subs. I might then let them hear an Incubus Elegan tube headphone amp with Focal Utopias. I spent a long time working on my tube choices and folks like @bcowen, @sam6550a, and @jonathan c. helped with that process.

Jan 21, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #137,068 of 150,933
The universe sure does like balance...

For my final tube purchase yesterday, I decided to be a little frugal and order only 3 pairs of 1960's Amperex ECC88's. Thanks to @Paladin79 for recommending them to me a bit over a year ago. They are absolutely wonderful tubes in the Freya N. The sellers were selling their dad's fairly large collection. Their dad's family is from my area and they used to spend Summers here visiting family when they were kids. Anyway, they emailed me this morning and they had one pair of the tubes left after my purchase so they added that to my shipment at no cost and are not charging me shipping. What a wonderful surprise to wake up to!

Then I stopped at the post office after getting the groceries. Waiting for me was a bill from Fed-Ex for taxes and fees from the Gungnir Multibit I bought from a fellow Schiitizen in December. CDN$205! I'll call the Canadian tax folks tomorrow to get a clear understanding if this bill is valid. Private purchases of used goods for personal-use are generally not taxable. The cross-border monster may be rearing its ugly wart-covered head.

On the plus side, I have the arrival of 20 tubes to look forward to!

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #137,069 of 150,933
I've always said, when flying, that I want the pilot well trained, well rested and well paid. I absolutely do not chase the lowest ticket price or fly budget airlines (*).
(*) I understand there can be excellent pilots and crew on budget and discount airlines but I don't believe they are supported by the system and, in fact, have to overcome the system.
Oh yes, this! My son came of professional age/experience in midst of COVID-steria… Flew cargo for about 18 months, then got in w/ SkyWest (regional), then moved to Spirit for “quality of life” (base was near home, etc.) and to build hours. But, the stories he can share about the budgets (and especially Spirit)… Yes, pretty much all good pilots had to build their multi-engine, turbine, instrument, hours and PIC time in order to GET to where they are (at least) paid better. Now, he’s entrancing into Southwest. (Finally, paid his dues and going to a major).

That said, ALL the airlines treat their unions like excrement; the only question is to what extent and for how long. Hard to say, to be totally honest, where the blame for the adversaries lies for certain; but I know that global financialization of all industries isn’t helping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back