Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 20, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #137,043 of 153,372
...<Lisa Batiashvili album cover>...
The soundtrack to tonight's office session.
Her rendition of Cinderella's Grand Waltz is 👨🏻‍🍳👌🏻
Today, I was blessed to attend a violin/piano concert (recital?) featuring Kinga Augustyn at the Havre de Grace Opera House. 6 rows from the stage in a tiny opera house seating maybe 200 - sadly only about 1/3 full (we'll blame the arctic freeze/snow for that, yeah, that's the ticket!). The majority of what she played wasn't familiar to me. The Saint Saens and Schindler's List were fantastic!

Acoustic music in a real space indeed!

Jan 20, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #137,044 of 153,372
Parabolic mirrors like Archimedes a no go? Not that one could use such all the time.
Hehe that might be a bit extreme for thermoforming plastics. We do have a solar oven that's great in the summer, works well in winter as well but standing around in the 3 feet of snow we currently have makes it less than ideal.

Jan 20, 2024 at 9:56 PM Post #137,045 of 153,372
IMG_4077.jpeg
Peter Gabriel’s i/o
The CD has both the bright-side and dark-side mixes. So far, I prefer the dark-side mix.

Good stuff, and good to hear from Mr Gabriel again.
It didn't really hit me the first time... I'll cue it up again 👍

Jan 20, 2024 at 9:56 PM Post #137,046 of 153,372
Hehe that might be a bit extreme for thermoforming plastics. We do have a solar oven that's great in the summer, works well in winter as well but standing around in the 3 feet of snow we currently have makes it less than ideal.
Also useful to make BBQ? :-D

Jan 20, 2024 at 10:08 PM Post #137,047 of 153,372
Are this disc and caliper subcontracted to Brembo SpA? Brembo is popular amongst Italian automobile manufacturers such as Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Maserati, Ferrari, Lamborghini, and others that as of 20 January 2024 I not know.
Yes Brembo is OEM for many car companies. A specific version like the Porsche PCCB may be unique to the brand by contract.

Jan 20, 2024 at 10:38 PM Post #137,049 of 153,372
Maybe I was talking about a different Elon? Possibly Elon J. Farnsworth? :wink:

My Loraxen (is that the plural?) will probably be waiting quite a bit longer....

P.S. there is no evidence I've been able to find, other than EM's claptrap, that he paid anywhere near that much in taxes.... Tesla, the company, paid $0.
Well argued. I concede your point.

Jan 20, 2024 at 11:27 PM Post #137,050 of 153,372
I will be seeing her perform the Sibelius concerto in March with the San Francisco Symphony/Esa-Pekka Salonen.

Oh cool, me too! I just bought my tickets :grin:

I'll be going with someone who is not much of a classical music fan, but did want to go to this concert with me. Maybe the experience will open his mind more.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 11:31 PM Post #137,051 of 153,372
Elon Musk sold about $40B in Tesla stock in 2022, nearly all of which would have been subject to taxation. So between that and other income he was likely to have made, it's not a stretch to believe his tax bills came to about that much, and maybe more if you include state taxes.
My original mention of $11B of taxes came from Mr. Musk excercising stock options, in 2021, that were about to expire. The per-share price when the options were granted was something around $6.50 but the current stock price was around $950. Blame all those fools buying Teslas. As explained by others (other places) when exercising options like this the difference in the option price and the current price is considered income. The upshot is he he acquired $20+ B in stock (current value) for a pittance and had to pay the going tax rate of 53% on nearly all of that. To do that he had to sell around half the stock he just bought. The total tax paid / value of the stock sold has been represented in many places as $11B or $12B with $11B seeming to be the most consistent.
As others have pointed out, the sale of $40B of stock in 2022 to finance the purchase of twitter was likely not subject to income or capital gains tax since it was re-invested.

Jan 20, 2024 at 11:45 PM Post #137,052 of 153,372
I will always defer to my son’s considered and educated judgment on “preference”. My theory being happy, competent pilots are the most important thing versus the specifics of a given plane… :wink:

I’ll trust a trained, professional pair of humans over ANY software automation/“AI” (after almost 50 years in the computer/sw industry) any day. Just ask the passengers that Sully saved :wink:. (Interestingly enough, I had the honor of meeting him about 10 years ago; super interesting and intense dude)
I've always said, when flying, that I want the pilot well trained, well rested and well paid. I absolutely do not chase the lowest ticket price or fly budget airlines (*).
(*) I understand there can be excellent pilots and crew on budget and discount airlines but I don't believe they are supported by the system and, in fact, have to overcome the system.

Jan 21, 2024 at 12:01 AM Post #137,053 of 153,372
It didn't really hit me the first time... I'll cue it up again 👍
I’m still wrapping my head around how the two mixes affected me differently. Same music, different mix.

The dark-side mixes reminded me of Gabriel’s first four albums, while the bright-side mixes reminded me of his newer stuff.

I am guilty of preferring his earlier work.

Jan 21, 2024 at 12:13 AM Post #137,054 of 153,372
I’m still wrapping my head around how the two mixes affected me differently. Same music, different mix.

The dark-side mixes reminded me of Gabriel’s first four albums, while the bright-side mixes reminded me of his newer stuff.

I am guilty of preferring his earlier work.
I think I have to really listen 👂 again without something else going on.

Agreed the first four are the best... Security is my personal favourite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back