Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 19, 2024 at 8:04 PM Post #136,906 of 150,602
Seems like a compliment to me? 10 inches is 10 inches. But maybe I'm missing something?
Metric? Makes it sound more impressive still. It would be a 250mm pole. That would impress those Imperialists!

Jan 19, 2024 at 8:04 PM Post #136,907 of 150,602
Jan 19, 2024 at 8:07 PM Post #136,908 of 150,602
As a former (& proud) engineer @ Boeing for 40 years, let me guess...Embraer? I have to say, they are a sharp company.
Considering he needed to design a single lens with two different plastics extruded into a single piece with a crisp line since it was interior trim, probably not.
Metric? Makes it sound more impressive still. It would be a 250mm pole. That would impress those Imperialists!
254mm* Those fifteen hundred seventy four point eight tenths count for a lot!

Edit: not sure how I typed due instead of design, but I did.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 8:15 PM Post #136,909 of 150,602
Thank you very much. I hope to recover to my baseline snarkiness and usual indifference within a few days. This process may be expedited by the application of a catalyst of highly rated Melz 1578 and similar NOS devices by the likes of certain generous individuals that will remain anonymous.
Since you are in the process of recovery perhaps I can look around my stash and possibly release another significant Melz from the 50’s. Life is much too short to not hear the sublime.😉 I will see what I can spare in pre-1955. You have always treated me with kindness and respect so now it is my turn.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 8:18 PM Post #136,911 of 150,602
I will always defer to my son’s considered and educated judgment on “preference”. My theory being happy, competent pilots are the most important thing versus the specifics of a given plane… :wink:

I’ll trust a trained, professional pair of humans over ANY software automation/“AI” (after almost 50 years in the computer/sw industry) any day. Just ask the passengers that Sully saved :wink:. (Interestingly enough, I had the honor of meeting him about 10 years ago; super interesting and intense dude)
Flying an Airbus of course!

Jan 19, 2024 at 8:20 PM Post #136,912 of 150,602
There's a couple of Velodyne walnut 18" subwoofer cabinets on eBay. omg!
Interesting 🤔 , but .... when only a 24" Hartley subwoofer will do ....
636FDDDB-E8DE-4C90-9559-3C89684DBA0F.jpeg

Jan 19, 2024 at 8:22 PM Post #136,913 of 150,602
Jan 19, 2024 at 8:24 PM Post #136,914 of 150,602
Since you are in the process of recovery perhaps I can look around my stash and possibly release another significant Melz from the 50’s. Life is much too short to not hear the sublime.😉 I will see what I can spare in pre-1955. You have always treated me with kindness and respect so now it is my turn.
You are too kind, Tom. I was trying to awaken your altruistic behavior in some individuals that live in the north part of my state that tend to hoard certain thermionic devices, however, none of the subject individuals Fotons approach the purity of a '50s Melz.

Jan 19, 2024 at 8:27 PM Post #136,916 of 150,602
You are too kind, Tom. I was trying to awaken your altruistic behavior in some individuals that live in the north part of my state that tend to hoard certain thermionic devices, however, none of the subject individuals Fotons approach the purity of a '50s Melz.
Fotons are for peasants, you deserve royalty.🤪🤪

Jan 19, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #136,917 of 150,602
This is not right at all, at least for stocks, I don't have experience with other assets. Once you realize a capital gain on sale of an equity you owe tax for it in that fiscal year. The wash sale rule which someone else mentioned is actually intended to CAPTURE a tax situation rather than avoid it. Essentially, the rule is that if you sell an equity AT A LOSS (thus triggering a capital loss) and then rebuy the same security within 30 days, the net is that you cannot declare the loss on the sale. I know of no rule where selling equity A and then buying equity B results in no taxable situation on the sale of equity A in the US tax code except in the above mentioned wash rule, and that is not beneficial to the taxpayer.

As a US investor it works exactly as you describe for Canada so there is no reason to look longingly at the US tax code, at least in this instance.
As a CPA, I approve of this post.

Jan 19, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #136,918 of 150,602
This is the best part of having tubes nobody wants. 🤣

I am, however, holding on to a pair of Philips ECG 5814's to send to @jonathan c for Christmas next year. Just don't tell him as the anticipation may get the best of him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back