Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 16, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #136,607 of 152,721
So many great ideas, I just realized that Marcus Miller produced and plays on that album. It's in the line-up for today, thanks Don and Steve @StevePNW. :)
You have that right. Marcus Miller. Who has seen him live? And to produce this in collaboration with Jonathan B. Maybe I’ll switch from the LRSs to the LS50 Metas for a different flavor. Enjoy. Grandaughter duty finished an hour ago so dinner and adult music has started…

Jan 16, 2024 at 9:20 PM Post #136,608 of 152,721
Need some help, my left channel tyr just died when I was switching cable, anyone knows what’s wrong?
The speaker that is connected to it plays really quiet and there is a lot of distortion when I change the volume.

@Jason Stoddard if you can help that will be really appreciated

(edit:) swapping out the left and right speakers just rules out the speakers... problems are likely elsewhere in the signal chain, but not necessarily the Tyrs.

RECOMMENDATIONS:
make sure it is unplugged, then put the cover back on. NO USER SERVICEABLE PARTS. HAZARDOUS VOLTAGES PRESENT, ETC.

do not connect inputs or outputs at this time. do you have a kill-a-watt or similar watt-meter? if so connect to tyr AC power, and note wattage, both initially and after a few minutes. if have you have a voltmeter, measure the DC voltage across the output terminals.

power Tyrs down, reconnect speakers as before.
swap left and right cables at the preamp output, then power up Tyrs. does problem shift channels?

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 9:31 PM Post #136,609 of 152,721
(edit:) swapping out the left and right speakers just rules out the speakers... problems are likely elsewhere in the signal chain, but not necessarily the Tyrs.

RECOMMENDATIONS:
make sure it is unplugged, then put the cover back on. NO USER SERVICEABLE PARTS. HAZARDOUS VOLTAGES PRESENT, ETC.

do not connect inputs or outputs at this time. do you have a kill-a-watt or similar watt-meter? if so connect to tyr AC power, and note wattage, both initially and after a few minutes. if have you have a voltmeter, measure the DC voltage across the output terminals.

power Tyrs down, reconnect speakers as before.
swap left and right cables at the preamp output, then power up Tyrs. does problem shift channels?
Thanks for helping! but i dont have a watt meter unfortunately
I swap left and right cable at preamp output, power up tyrs, now the my right speakers have the problem instead of the left

Jan 16, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #136,610 of 152,721
Any reason it would be a bad idea to remove speaker wires (on the speaker side) while Tyrs are in standby?

Thinking about putting my main speakers in the front of my home theater setup, but would need to swap the speaker wires out when running the home theater side of things...
Add/remove signal cables or speaker cables — turn the amp off first.

Jan 16, 2024 at 9:38 PM Post #136,612 of 152,721
Thanks for helping! but i dont have a watt meter unfortunately
I swap left and right cable at preamp output, power up tyrs, now the my right speakers have the problem instead of the left

Tyrs sound like they are OK.
power down Tys (or put in standby) & preamp, then swap cables right at preamp inputs, power things back up...

keep swapping left right channels back up the signal chain... until problem does not shift channels with each alternation.

Jan 16, 2024 at 9:48 PM Post #136,613 of 152,721
Tyrs sound like they are OK.
power down Tys (or put in standby) & preamp, then swap cables right at preamp inputs, power things back up...

keep swapping left right channels back up the signal chain... until problem does not shift channels with each alternation.
Ok I switched the input for the pre amp, and the issue happens back to the left speaker again. (I still have the preamp output switched) so what does this mean?

Jan 16, 2024 at 9:49 PM Post #136,614 of 152,721
I just went album by album and favorited each LP title in Qobuz that I didn’t own a digital file of already. If the album is unavailable, you could flag that album to check later.
I don't use any music streaming service.

Jan 16, 2024 at 9:54 PM Post #136,615 of 152,721
A conversation literally every single software and database engineer ever has taken part in at least once in their careers:

“I’ll just use a UInt16 to store this value. What do you think?”
“Sure! There’s no chance! that anyone will ever! need to deal with more than 65,535 [insert whatever items here]. No worries, son, you’re good.”
Generally, I see the other problem: I'll just use this Complex128 to store true/false where 0.0000... is false and anything else is true. Any problem with that?

Jan 16, 2024 at 10:00 PM Post #136,617 of 152,721
Wow. It seems that the device formally known as 'The Gadget' may have few surprises in store. :astonished:

I predict that there will be big advancements in managing the time domain. :wink:
Shame you posted that machine in B&W. It's absolutely stunning in color. I think I saw a little model of it once and I've wanted one ever since.
time machine.jpg

https://www.monstersinmotion.com/ca...e-1960-deluxe-16-scale-model-kit-p-25368.html

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 10:16 PM Post #136,619 of 152,721
Ok I switched the input for the pre amp, and the issue happens back to the left speaker again. (I still have the preamp output switched) so what does this mean?
means you saved bunch of money NOT shipping back a perfectly functional tyr... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

one more test:
power down, reconnect everything matching left / right except swap the interconnects at the source output jacks.

Jan 16, 2024 at 10:31 PM Post #136,620 of 152,721
means you saved bunch of money NOT shipping back a perfectly functional tyr... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

one more test:
power down, reconnect everything matching left / right except swap the interconnects at the source output jacks.
Nice! Thanks haha

Ok swapped source output left and right, now the right speaker doesn’t work (it flipped)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back