Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 16, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #136,591 of 153,085
That could be considered a public service. Besides, with all the fine beer in Belgium why would anyone want Miller High Life there?
+100

Jan 16, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #136,592 of 153,085
The Kiplinger TEXAS section is a bit misleading as it seems to indicate that a Texas Homestead Exemption is only for the elderly. This is not true. While the elderly do receive additional benefits under a Homestead Exemption, there is a GENERAL HOMESTEAD EXEMPTION in Texas that anyone can claim regardless of age, if they qualify...

https://texaslawhelp.org/article/property-taxes-and-homestead-exemptions#:~:text=The general residence homestead exemption,only be taxed on $200,000.
Absolutely. Any Texans who have not applied for their homestead exemption with their local tax office should do this! It only used to be a $15k exemption and is now $100k. Like anything else, there is also a but... In my case, the exemption only applies to the local school district's calculated levy. All the other jurisdictions that get a cut, se7en others to be specific, calculate their levy with no consideration for my homestead exemption. Sad face.

Anyways, save up for Tyr or pull the trigger on a pair of Aegir 2 down the road... Can't wait to see/hear some reviews when they are finally released.

Jan 16, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #136,593 of 153,085
IMG_6945.jpg

I do not know if the problem is the resistor R49 or the small thing B20 100 2151 at its left cause the problem.....
Ouch... Schiit Warranty to the rescue!?

Jan 16, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #136,594 of 153,085
Thanks Mr. Cowen! I appreciate the tips. I'm very happy with it. It's 99.9% pristine. Mine's vinyl too. It looks identical to yours other than the colour and branding, so I'm betting they were made by the same company
They could well have been. And I think these were just American things too. I've kept an eye out for a Telefunken or Brimar or GEC labeled caddy, and have never run across one. RCA, GE, Sylvania, Motorola, Tung Sol, Zenith, Philco....lots of them around, but no European labels to be seen. And if there were Russian ones, I wouldn't understand the writing anyway. 🤣

Jan 16, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #136,595 of 153,085
They could well have been. And I think these were just American things too. I've kept an eye out for a Telefunken or Brimar or GEC labeled caddy, and have never run across one. RCA, GE, Sylvania, Motorola, Tung Sol, Zenith, Philco....lots of them around, but no European labels to be seen. And if there were Russian ones, I wouldn't understand the writing anyway. 🤣

I think my wife might draw the line at more of these cases! Besides, I need to buy tubes to fill the one I have. :ksc75smile:

Buddy also has this sign he gave me first crack at. It's not something I'm interested in. It's porcelain. He says he hasn't seen any porcelain signs online to help him figure out a price for it.

1705449908621.png

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #136,596 of 153,085
I've kind of gleaned an opinion from hearing lots of different people with different brains interpreting impulses from different taste buds trying to describe different flavors and aromas in whiskey that there are some people who use analytical descriptive words to call out flavors and aromas while other people use more suggestive words to paint ideas of what they are tasting and smelling. Not a one of them is wrong (unless they're calling caramel rubber or something obvious), it's just the way they process and then express things.

Thusly, maybe it's okay if 'jargon' is all someone has to describe a thing? Maybe 'plankton' is an okay descriptor of that super-fine transient detail that it seems to have no other word that fits? I dunno but I kind of think it's fine. I'm fine with it.

Do any of us have to care that much? As with all things on all pages that exist on the internet, if it's something one does not like or agree with or approve of ( as long as it fits within given forum rules and guidelines of course), then just scroll on.
Just having a bit of fun, YMMV

Jan 16, 2024 at 8:00 PM Post #136,598 of 153,085
Yeah... would pay dearly for Telefunken case...

Jan 16, 2024 at 8:19 PM Post #136,599 of 153,085
It's maddening, as a Canadian, when I grab a recipe online and invariably it's from a USA site. All the measurements are in Freedom, and all the packaging up here is in Science.*
My wife always has words about Australian tablespoon measurements as the Aussie one is 20ml, and most others 15ml. That 33%/25% difference is significant in baking. For me, I just ignore it, but it drives her nuts.

Jan 16, 2024 at 8:29 PM Post #136,600 of 153,085
I'm 50 pages behind now...

...that was a marathon. I need to sleep for a bit.

Good night!
... Good! While you 😴, we 😈 will extend the 📖 gap ! 🤣

Jan 16, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #136,601 of 153,085
A conversation literally every single software and database engineer ever has taken part in at least once in their careers:

“I’ll just use a UInt16 to store this value. What do you think?”
“Sure! There’s no chance! that anyone will ever! need to deal with more than 65,535 [insert whatever items here]. No worries, son, you’re good.”
Right up there with: “Hey, we can save TWO WHOLE BYTES in every date field by using a two-digit year field!” Again, what could possibly go wrong? sigh…

Jan 16, 2024 at 8:54 PM Post #136,602 of 153,085
Oddly enough I thought I was over the stone and it has bothered me the last two evenings. I found a new place to order bourbon from but I hate to list it before I find out they are on the up and up. They even sell six bottle samplers of Pappy Van Winkle.
Pappy Van Winkle is on my need to find/taste list.

Hopefully the Bourbon and other random topics keep your mind off the discomfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back