Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 14, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #136,306 of 150,584
Give NC BBQ credit, second place ain't all bad. It could be worse, it could be Texas BBQ...

If you have to ask what number 1 is you've clearly never been to Sconyers BBQ in Georgia.
Oh, you poor misguided child. Bless your heart. šŸ˜„

Jan 14, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #136,307 of 150,584
Would it be unreasonable to declare this a plankton-free zone - or any other jargon that detracts from the enjoyment of music and/or this forum? šŸ¤”
Do you mean to say I can't describe my system as " insanely musical " ? ( Recently seen as a title on YouTube. )

Jan 14, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #136,308 of 150,584
Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #136,309 of 150,584

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #136,310 of 150,584
As someone who's been around the purchase circle more times than I want to count, let me warn you that there is no getting it right the first time. Or the tenth time. You just have to try things and make choices. And yes it can get expensive, but this hobby is not for the poor. I've lived with things for a couple years only to decide it really wasn't what I was looking for or that there was some new shiny object I wanted to try. Audiogon or EBay or gifting to a fellow seeker or gathering dust in my garage - it's where the vast majority of my trial-and-error stuff ends up. :)
I appreciate the path of the journey we all take in our individual manners, and I appreciate the companies that understand this and make it easier to do this, but I also tend to like to get it right the first go-'round too. I see both points as valid.

Nervosa gets talked about often and I believe it is definitely present on the front end of purchases, especially to someone like me who is putting together their first real system beyond some powered bookshelves and an entry level turntable and feels like they don't want to make a 'mistake' with an expensive purchase.

I've read tons of different reviews and feel like I have an appreciable enough understanding of 'accurate, analytical, and bright' sound signatures and 'warm, rich, tube-y' sound signatures that that theoretical knowledge combined with what I think I'd enjoy listening to based on what I own now (plus listening to a friend's higher-level system that has undergone various changes over time) has led me to a system that should match my theoretical criteria. Little of this is based on experience because I haven't heard much but more on people just talking about things enough to where I can develop mental understandings.

Anyway, where this is all going is that yes, I could continue to nervously try to consider other components, other brands beyond the Freya->Aegir->Zu DW6 idea that I've landed on, or I could just buy the damn things and start listening and enjoying and go from there. If it's even needed.

I'm resolutely choosing the latter. Because nervosa is for suckers. :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #136,311 of 150,584
SBAF, ASR, parts of AVS, even parts of Head-Fi like "sound science" - wherever there are zealots insisting their version of the truth is the only one that is acceptable is not a place I care to hang out. I don't choose to stay on places like that because I am not a drama queen. Or at least I don't think I am. I just want to have a little fun and sometimes some meaningful discussions about audio and music and life (WHICH TO ME ARE THE SAME THINGS) with like-minded folks, and this thread is one of the few audio-related web spaces I can handle. Thanks, everyone.
Agreed on all points. Except for AVS, I browse the other forums for curiosity mainly. I do glean an occasional nugget that is useful. The discussion of Schiit products on SBAF is interesting.

This thread is a Unicorn for sure in the audio world.

Jan 14, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #136,313 of 150,584
For me, itā€™s not about Schiit abhorring it or notā€¦ itā€™s more about wanting to make the right purchase the first time around.

My b stock comment was more about feeling frustrated that I didnā€™t get what I wanted/needed the first time.

If you want to make the right purchase from Schiit the first time around, try viewing things this way: Schiit offers equipment rental with option to buy.

That only works to a point. I would like try the Tyrs in my system, but rental will be hundreds of dollars, I'll have to find cables that space widely, and I have to lug heavy things around. Mainly the lugging dissuades me. So I don't think I ever will. But for something like a Bifrost you're talking $50 to rent it for a few weeks and see how you like it. And if you like it the rental is forgiven and you buy it. I would definitely do that.

If you're unable to think like that, you may want to try a few dealers out to see just how clear your ideas of "right product" are. There you can hear a bunch of things as long as you like. Meets are sort of like that, but they can be loud or you don't get much time with something. Also, in my experience, dealers from the low to the high end will encourage you to bring your own stuff in to them to compare things fairly, or will also lend to you for a trial if you have a relationship.

However you do it, you can only choose the right product if you have a choice. And, b-stock hunters are waiting for returns!

Jan 14, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #136,315 of 150,584
I saw the YT video a while ago and none of it impressed me. I saw a pile up of money no object, more expensive/bigger, as always better pov, and a hodgepodge of ancillary components, all the priciest because of course that must be better. Atrocious speaker arrays never tested by who knows how to do it. I bet it played loud, dynamics galore butā€¦ does it sound good?
It hardly matters whether it sounded good or not. The theme of the story is obsession and it could have been about anything else, like building a dream sailboat or stamp collection. It was enough to drive his wife to drinking and divorce, and estranged him from his children. This is ripe material for someone to write an opera, or tragedy play. It could become the next Death of a Salesman.

Jan 14, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #136,317 of 150,584
It hardly matters whether it sounded good or not. The theme of the story is obsession and it could have been about anything else, like building a dream sailboat or stamp collection. It was enough to drive his wife to drinking and divorce, and estranged him from his children. This is ripe material for someone to write an opera, or tragedy play. It could become the next Death of a Salesman.
Rosebud

Jan 14, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #136,318 of 150,584
The author, Geoff Edgers, is a member over at the Steve Hoffman forum. Heā€™s a music & gear fan like us.

The piece was amazingly ā€œkindā€ to him. It makes sense it was written by a fellow enthusiast.

Using your kids and their friends as essentially slave labor and disowning your son, thatā€™s beyond being just an enthusiast though. Thatā€™s obsession.

Jan 14, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #136,319 of 150,584
Jack Daniels bottled in bond is an amazingly good sip. Not a JD fan normally. But, they did that one well.
Agree wholeheartedly on all counts. Canā€™t normally be bothered with JD. But this stuff is amazing. Oh, and the folks at Uncle Nearest know whatā€™s up as wellā€¦

Jan 14, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #136,320 of 150,584
Itā€™s clear that SBAF and HeadFi canā€™t co-mingle.

Before passing final judgement, Iā€™d go to the other site and browse around. Itā€™s not as maniacal or off the wall as some have made it. They have some interesting ideas on objective measurements. Itā€™s not like ASR where Amir is trying to topple audio icons and create a ā€œNew Standardā€ in his own image. The SBAF people couldnā€™t care less what others think, they want to understand and communicate what they hear.
I visited the MJ3 thread there after Currawongs review to add to the impressions people had and encountered at least three pages of Kung Fu/David Carradine discussion by the purr guy who is a/one of the big cheeses there I gather then when someone inquired about the MJ3 was told to bugger off as it was the wrong thread for that. I bought the MJ3, not based Kung Fu musings. I just donā€™t get their love of arbitrary/silly rules and can only read so many posts about why people shouldnā€™t post. That said Iā€™m pretty done with the P word.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back