Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 12, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #135,961 of 155,173
^ That's called component synergy

Component synergy... we agree. I long thought that reviewers' comments of a given component are highly dependent of associated components in the playback chain. It's useful to hear different opinions (of the same item) from people with different components in the chain.

A couple of years ago I bought a pair of Klipsch RP600M speakers for a second setup. Well reviewed speakers, very neutral and detailed. A couple of reviewers I read indicated the speakers had a less-smooth, perhaps a little edgy/grating treble with some tracks. I heard that, nothing really bad, but it was there; I had at the time a NAD integrated amp. This year I replaced that amp with a FreyaS/Vidar2 and that effect is gone. Single violins/massed orchestral strings perfectly detailed and smooth. Yeah, system synergy.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #135,962 of 155,173
Reminds me of a recent "Shower Thought" that I read somewhere on the 'net: "For all of those who declare that we didn't really go to the moon, how do you explain that we didn't go back five more times?"
And if we didn't go, then who put the mirrors up there (retroreflectors)?

Jan 12, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #135,964 of 155,173
Posted this on the Kara forum. There may be other Kara owners here…

Kara gain stage choices

Of the various Kara reviews not many comments regarding x1 and x4 gain choices.

I continue to think the more open / detailed / wider soundstage gain is x1. What’s yours?
I’m about 2 weeks in using Kara (one via balanced out from Skoll and my Sota Star SapphireIII/SME309/Denon301MkII, the other via RCA/SE from the CA Azur752BD CD/SACD/BlueRay player.

Done compares to my Classe’ DR6 (only for phono though, the DR6 LINE stage needs recapping, alas).

Oddly, in my system, I get slightly more openness, detail, and more coherent soundstage on the x4 gain. For Phono (again balanced).

I will know more if/when I get a better standalone DAC and can run into it balanced as well.

But, TL;DR… I *may* get the Classe’ re-capped, and then I’ll race again. But, for me, for now Kara at either x1 or x4 is stunning preamp. I don’t miss the Classe’ at ALL (and my system is very well known to me; I’ve had the rest of it also for 30+ years - and no, my Apogees do not (yet) need new ribbons). It has more gain with less noise (for a phono chain with Skoll) than the Classe’ @Jason Stoddard well done! Reminds me of old memories of original Levinson gear in the 70’s (the hot running “class A” stuff in style.

I should go over the the Kara thread.

Jan 12, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #135,966 of 155,173
While Modius didn’t sound bad, MMB1 sounded more organic to me. The differences between them surprised me. Both sounded better than an old Musical Fidelity DAC. My opinion FWIW.
interesting, i am literally waffling between modius and bifrost for an additional DAC these days.

to me the MMB2 was a fantastic improvement over the plain modi. but of course, ears and attached gear are a part of the equation too. never heard MMB1 for the record

Jan 12, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #135,967 of 155,173
Crosspost alert.

Here’s a picture of my remote “mod.” This is how I am able to make one click volume adjustments with Kara. Self adhesive “sequins“ from the craft store.

IMG_4051.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #135,968 of 155,173
😳 ... modifying remote control units? Is this preordained? ..... from this
5DD3CC28-71A0-4BF1-B2A5-60377FBD5F5C.jpeg
to this
74503190-1890-4774-A188-EB9CEA5337E9.jpeg

Jan 12, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #135,969 of 155,173
For once I’m off topic….

I’m covering all my bases rn: wish me luck, I take comprehensive exams this coming Monday thru Thursday for my PhD—it’s the last step before dissertation in my field, and it’s basically an exam from hell. So wish me luck! I will use all I can get 🙏🏼Schiitizens lend me your strength! I will be writing for 72 hours while listening to my HD600 on the Schiit Fulla E at my office.

Jan 12, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #135,970 of 155,173
Jan 12, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #135,971 of 155,173
For once I’m off topic….

I’m covering all my bases rn: wish me luck, I take comprehensive exams this coming Monday thru Thursday for my PhD—it’s the last step before dissertation in my field, and it’s basically an exam from hell. So wish me luck! I will use all I can get 🙏🏼Schiitizens lend me your strength! I will be writing for 72 hours while listening to my HD600 on the Schiit Fulla E at my office.
Field? Topic? school?

Jan 12, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #135,973 of 155,173
Field? Topic? school?
Political Science. All my research is quantitative and my research agenda is in Race, Ethnicity, and Politics. Currently I am researching indigenous politics (Native Americans and how their interactions with government can influence political participation). The comprehensive exams are basically everything in the field and I have questions to choose from, need to answer 5. For work, I generally work on datasets every day. School is in Texas.

And before anyone gets to it: I don’t talk politics outside of my work, I go out of my way to avoid it lol.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #135,974 of 155,173
For once I’m off topic….

Good luck and remember to not make any arguments that are not supported by data. :)

Jan 12, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #135,975 of 155,173
My goal in this hobby was to properly drive the HD800 headphones. This was before the new uber-planars existed. The HD800 are known to be somewhat bright and they are, when not properly amped. So that was my measure ... initially they were a fatiguing HP but, as my amps improved, they became much less fatiguing and then the fatigue went away altogether and I experienced great (to me) SQ music. YMMV but remember ... we all hear differently and most people lose some treble with aging. I still listen to 'em most every day. :)
I have a pair of HD 800S headphones.
My headphone amp is the Schiit Folkvangr.
I don’t experience any brightness whatsoever.
A while ago I bought a Lokius, which was purely for headphone listening as I didn’t need it with my speakers.
However, I found that even with headphones, the Lokius was always in bypass mode, so I have now removed it altogether and put it back in its original box.
It’s a superb device, but maybe through sheer luck, the synergy between Folkvangr and HD800S is so good, that I don’t need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back