Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 12, 2024 at 9:15 AM Post #135,931 of 155,189
Geez, y'all were talkative yesterday!

As far as all the subjective audio terms, sandwich spreads from the British Empire, and the sonic characteristics of various DAC's, I'll leave you with the the wisdom of Robert Hunter (the Grateful Dead lyricist that Mike Moffat quoted in the title of his thread):

If you get confused listen to the music play!

:smiley_cat: :smiley_cat::smiley_cat:
Yes, everything is about the MUSIC.

Jan 12, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #135,932 of 155,189
So it's worthless to most of us?

Leo
The original bar chart appeared to be an advertisement sponsored from China by Audio-Gd.

Jan 12, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #135,933 of 155,189
Marmite is made from the leftover yeast from the brewing of beer, not beef. You may be thinking of Bovril. I love both.
i prefer to finish my beer. Not into vegemite or marmite but a good apple butter once in a while ... tasty!

Jan 12, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #135,934 of 155,189
I don't remember who first mentioned Bunnahabhain Single Malt on the forum but thank you!

I have mentioned this lovely single malt a few times on the forum, but can’t claim to be the first.

My visit to Bowmore and Bunnahabhain distilleries on Islay many years ago was very special indeed.

I think I will have a wee dram this evening…

Cheers!

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #135,935 of 155,189
You will know it's close when the Vali 2 appears in "Last Call ".
ohhhh i do hope that discontinuing-schiit does start getting some kind of formal treatment like this

but with their (new?) efficiency and inventory/sunk cost emphasis, i imagine we will see less and less "last call" and more simple dumping over to the b-stock deals (like with saga S)

Jan 12, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #135,936 of 155,189
Yep pretty much
I don't know. I've owned more than a couple of DACs on that chart, and probably around 10 DACs in total. My experience agrees enough with the rankings on the chart to find the relative comparisons somewhat useful. I recently added a Modius E to the hoard based on that SBAF chart and the review and comments from @adydula. It was probably the most informed DAC purchase I've made. I've never purchased a DAC based upon measurements, but subjective comments have been influential.

What's still surprising to me is that the Modius E replaced a Multibit DAC in one of my rigs (MMB1), and that's something I wouldn't have previously thought a ~$200 delta-sigma DAC could possibly do.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #135,937 of 155,189
That’s my point though since you’ve heard 10 DACs and have familiarized with the presentation differences between that you’re able to triangulate the sound of a DAC to those charts.

However, someone who only had 1 DAC and are asking for an upgrade, they won’t have any idea of how the heck those charts translate to what they will hear

Jan 12, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #135,938 of 155,189
I looked at the graph, and I have no idea what it means. How was ****ery measured? How was harmonic

I look at this graph and nothing is really defined. How is harmonic richness measured? How is treble ****ery measured? In db. or fcks/second?

There was a time years ago that I would get fatigued when listening to music and it could cause headaches. As my equipment improved this went away. Nothing I own from Schiit causes any issues and I can listen for hours. I feel fortunate every time I turn my system on. I never thought equipment would ever be this good, and I never thought that I would have this great of a system.
My goal in this hobby was to properly drive the HD800 headphones. This was before the new uber-planars existed. The HD800 are known to be somewhat bright and they are, when not properly amped. So that was my measure ... initially they were a fatiguing HP but, as my amps improved, they became much less fatiguing and then the fatigue went away altogether and I experienced great (to me) SQ music. YMMV but remember ... we all hear differently and most people lose some treble with aging. I still listen to 'em most every day. :)

Jan 12, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #135,939 of 155,189
You can pick a SS amp as a reference and a tube amp as another reference and I guarantee you you’ll end up with a different values on those charts

Jan 12, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #135,940 of 155,189
That’s my point though since you’ve heard 10 DACs and have familiarized with the presentation differences between that you’re able to triangulate the sound of a DAC to those charts.

However, someone who only had 1 DAC and are asking for an upgrade, they won’t have any idea of how the heck those charts translate to what they will hear
Yes, and I agree. However, part of my point that I didn't state outright is, IMO, the "30 DACs" comment is an exaggeration. All it really took was to have experience with a few DACs on the chart.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #135,941 of 155,189
I can put it in a sensation that the plucking of an instruments, the way the drumstick hits, the piano resonance that is perceived as "naturally effortless". That small volume inflection as the percussion instrument hits or an acoustic guitar, piano creates that believable sound to your ears (nothing is missing and all microdetails are presented effortlessly).

Has zero to do with negative feedback and more about that "magic spice ratio of harmonic richness and microdetails along with PRaT" revealing that plankton. Every Schiit DAC have those three (harmonic richness, microdetails and PRaT) at different levels (from Modius all the way to Yggy). In case of the MIB, it's PRaT and microdetails shot its overall plankton level through the roof but engagment factor is less because it has less harmonic richness relative to the microdetails and PRaT than the other Yggy flavors. An extreme DAC with tons of plankton but has low engagement factor is Chord Hugo TT2.
You want to really hear this effect - listen closely to Jeff Beck playing an electric guitar. :)

Jan 12, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #135,942 of 155,189
I find jargon that I don't know to be nonsense and confusing upon first contact, but not meant to confuse or mislead. Like almost all of language, the purpose is to enable and ease communication, not hamper it - however, it is created within a small group and by default not readily understood by anyone outside that group. If confusing language is used or even created with the purpose of masking what is truly being said the correct moniker for that would be slang. I'm not sure that there even is a word for the case when it is actually meant to mislead.
'Weasel Words' comes to mind for confusing/misleading language.

Jan 12, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #135,943 of 155,189
Man why does the black URD have a silver tray. uhg, reminds me of a bad two-tone car

Attachments

• AMC_Pacer_1975-1978-630x332.jpg
    AMC_Pacer_1975-1978-630x332.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 0
Jan 12, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #135,945 of 155,189
Just listening to the track, it is not an outlier relative to much live jazz I've heard. The "clackiness" is pretty common with some players. Sure, you don't get it with Ron Carter or Dave Holland, but I'd not complain about Scott LaFaro :wink: IOW, I don't think it's a recording or reproduction artifact, it's just how LaFaro played his particular instrument.
Cool comment ... take a listen to how Avishai Cohen plays the bass -

Users who are viewing this thread

Back