Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 11, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #135,811 of 155,069
Ok, I had to gooogle it. Thanks @Ableza :beerchug:

Then I said, this is the sound of my brain on Don Henley!

Then I said, 1 2 3 4...

He's a tortured artist
Used to be in the Eagles
Now he whines
Like a wounded beagle
Poet of despair!
Pumped up with hot air!
He's serious, pretentious
And I just don't care
Don Henley must die!
Don't let him get back together
With Glenn Frey!
Don Henley must die!

Turn on the TV
And what did I see?
This bloated hairy thing
Winning a Grammy
Best Rock Vocalist?
Compared to what?
But your pseudo-serious
Crafty Satanic blot
Don Henley must die!
Put a sharp stick in his eye!
Don Henley must die!
Yea yea yea

Quit playin' that crap
You're out of the band

I'm only kidding
Can't you tell?
I love his sensitive music
Idiot poetry, swell
You and your kind
Are killing rock and roll
It's not because you are O L D
It's cause you ain't got no soul!
Don't be afraid of fun
Loosen up your ponytail!
Be wild, young, free and dumb
Get your head out of your tail
Don Henley must die!
Don't let him get back together
With Glenn Frey!

Don Henley must die!
Put him in the electric chair
Watch him fry!
Don Henley must die
Don Henley must die
No Eagles reunion
The same goes for you, too, Sting!

Jan 11, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #135,813 of 155,069
I can put it in a sensation that the plucking of an instruments, the way the drumstick hits, the piano resonance that is perceived as "naturally effortless". That small volume inflection as the percussion instrument hits or an acoustic guitar, piano creates that believable sound to your ears (nothing is missing and all microdetails are presented effortlessly).

Has zero to do with negative feedback and more about that "magic spice ratio of harmonic richness and microdetails along with PRaT" revealing that plankton. Every Schiit DAC have those three (harmonic richness, microdetails and PRaT) at different levels (from Modius all the way to Yggy). In case of the MIB, it's PRaT and microdetails shot its overall plankton level through the roof but engagment factor is less because it has less harmonic richness relative to the microdetails and PRaT than the other Yggy flavors. An extreme DAC with tons of plankton but has low engagement factor is Chord Hugo TT2.
OMG now I have to deal with more glittering adjectives that are really confusing me bigtime.
Magic spice ratio....seriously ??
Micro Details.
PRat.
Engagement Factor ??
I give up back to the music and listening...
You folks can debate these to me, esoteric terms that are well....

I never learned these terms getting my degree in EE stuff...must have been binging during that class!!
LOL!

Each to their own...the best!
Alex

@Ableza
"If I had access to the HeadFi censor engine I'd ban that word. It has NO meaning in audio. What you are describing has nothing to do with equipment and everything to do with subjective perception."

Could not agree with you more!

:>)
Alex

Jan 11, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #135,814 of 155,069
I don't have another way to describe it other than that lol. Most measurements don't tell batschiit of how I hear the sounds coming out of a system. Closest one would be 2nd order harmonic distortion making it easier to recognize plankton

@adydula

Try the Kallyste Amethyste amplifier and compare and contrast it to Schiit Mjolnir 3. Based on how you hear with the same Yggy OG DAC, you should be able to hear the plankton increase from MJ3 to the Kallyste. That amp is probably my top 3 amps that show the most plankton I've heard.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #135,815 of 155,069
Jan 11, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #135,816 of 155,069
On thing that has amazed me is some folks on some sites invent these glittering generalities for what ever reason..thats fine. We all have our own way of "trying" to describe our listening experiences.

So in the beginning....there was only 1 device to test and review and report on...
Then soon its hundreds.
And those folks now have a quandary.
How do we test, review and comment of hundreds of follow on devices?
After all they are follow on or different devices so they "have" to sound or be different.
Well we add more and more glittering adjectives....and shades of grey start appearing...
So they can still look relevant to the masses....(lemmings?).

Could it be these devices have more in common than not ?
Could it be these devices sound more alike than not alike ?

Most tests and reviews "often" state they had to strain and really listen for any and the difference although "real ??" were hard to discern..but oh yes
they were really real !!

Ok back to normal programming!

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #135,817 of 155,069
Descriptions like that usually come from people who believe in magic and UFOs but don't want to sound silly. Then they speak and sound silly.

Present company excepted of course, unless the shoe fits.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #135,818 of 155,069
ok, i'm REALLY bored; watching Starwars via Telnet
1705016488332.png

Mac: open terminal type: telnet telehack.com*
Win: open cmd type: telnet telehack.com
type: starwars

*newer MacOS versions don't have telnet, google install telnet on mac, basically install brew then install telnet

Jan 11, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #135,819 of 155,069
I looked at the graph, and I have no idea what it means. How was ****ery measured? How was harmonic

I look at this graph and nothing is really defined. How is harmonic richness measured? How is treble ****ery measured? In db. or fcks/second?

There was a time years ago that I would get fatigued when listening to music and it could cause headaches. As my equipment improved this went away. Nothing I own from Schiit causes any issues and I can listen for hours. I feel fortunate every time I turn my system on. I never thought equipment would ever be this good, and I never thought that I would have this great of a system.
Measured? That chart is from SBAF, not ASR.

Jan 11, 2024 at 7:08 PM Post #135,820 of 155,069
Measured? That chart is from SBAF, not ASR.

ASR would've never come up with that chart lol.

Their top 20 DACs only have 4dB difference in SINAD performance lol

index.php

Jan 11, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #135,821 of 155,069
I won't go so far as to say "this is incorrect," but I will say, "that is not my experience," and that many audio disagreements can be avoided by saying "in my opinion," rather than painting with a broad brush as if it is absolute truth.
Don't like the sound of DAC A? don't buy it. Like the sound of DAC F? Buy it. Buy DAC C because some random reviewer measured/listened to 5 songs/compared a bunch of graphs/created a bunch of graphs? Why buy it if you do not know what it sounds like IN YOUR SYSTEM. Recommendations are only documented opinions.

Jan 11, 2024 at 7:11 PM Post #135,823 of 155,069
On thing that has amazed me is some folks on some sites invent these glittering generalities for what ever reason..thats fine. We all have our own way of "trying" to describe our listening experiences.

So in the beginning....there was only 1 device to test and review and report on...
Then soon its hundreds.
And those folks now have a quandary.
How do we test, review and comment of hundreds of follow on devices?
After all they are follow on or different devices so they "have" to sound or be different.
Well we add more and more glittering adjectives....and shades of grey start appearing...
So they can still look relevant to the masses....(lemmings?).

Could it be these devices have more in common than not ?
Could it be these devices sound more alike than not alike ?

Most tests and reviews "often" state the had to strain and really listen and the difference although "real ??" were hard to discern..but oh yes
they were really real !!

Ok back to normal programming!
I'm not into glittery adjectives.

However, the site that created plankton and blackground are internally consistent. If you read the reviews, you get a sense of how one component compares to another based on their terminology. Like or hate the terms, it's better than the absolutely arbitrary drivel if most "HiFi" reviews. But, YMMV needs to be heavily emphasized. Period.

Jan 11, 2024 at 7:16 PM Post #135,824 of 155,069
Ugh. Looks like maybe *I* need to build a wall. Probably out of triple-wall cardboard. :smile:
My arm isn't that good, double wall should be enough protection. Until I perfect my lob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back