Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 11, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #135,721 of 155,086
Sincere question:
What's your point, guys?
Schiit doesn't design their DACs to some "taste profile." Nor do any other manufacturers, at least not to my knowledge.
If you don't like the sound of the Bifrost 2, buy a different DAC. (Full disclosure: I don't, and I have.)
But there are plenty of people out there who prefer the way Bifrost 2 sounds. I wouldn't want to take that away from them. Especially not since there are other Schiit DACs available that I like a whole lot more. They're a bit more pricey, but that's par for the course in this hobby.
So, I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to get at with this… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well, we're just sharing our experience. We're not trying to take anything away from anyone. If you don't think you're sensitive to treble issues (and you probably know if you are) then you probably won't have a problem with the Bifrost or whatever else. Even if you are sensitive to treble issues maybe you won't hear it in the Bfirost, or maybe your other gear makes it so you don't hear it. The only way to really know is to try it for yourself.

Hearing is really weird.

Jan 11, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #135,724 of 155,086
@Jason Stoddard Sorry if this has been asked too many times already (I'm sure it has) but any chance of combining SYS and Lokius to have the EQ and volume control in one box?

I ask because I just got a pair those Beyerdynamic 177X GOs and since they can run balanced ... and I have a Bifrost/Jot stack, I plan on running them balanced but the gain is too much in the stack to offer much volume control for them so a Lokius in between with a volume control would offer a LOT of fun and loveliness.

Edit: Additional idea: Any way the Bifrost could be updated via firmware to include a volume control of the output? ...or just a gain switching setting (like 50% gain toggle?)? ...perhaps switchable from the remote?

Another edit/additional idea: This would seal the deal for me upgrading to the new Jot which is already calling me in my sleep. ... A three-level gain selector like on the Magni Unity with a negative gain setting.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #135,725 of 155,086
Jan 11, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #135,726 of 155,086
Well, we're just sharing our experience. We're not trying to take anything away from anyone. If you don't think you're sensitive to treble issues (and you probably know if you are) then you probably won't have a problem with the Bifrost or whatever else. Even if you are sensitive to treble issues maybe you won't hear it in the Bfirost, or maybe your other gear makes it so you don't hear it. The only way to really know is to try it for yourself.

Hearing is really weird.
There are many recordings with grating (if that describes it) string sounds. A good DAC shows that, as that is in the recording. Can a DAC or some other device filter that? Probably, but doing so it is adding an imprint of its own. Good recordings without ‘grating’ highs will be affected by that color.

A tweak of a 6kHz analog EQ pot takes care of that, IMHO.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #135,728 of 155,086
There are many recordings with grating (if that describes it) string sounds. A good DAC shows that, as that is in the recording. Can a DAC or some other device filter that? Probably, but doing so it is adding an imprint of its own. Good recordings without ‘grating’ highs will be affected by that color.
I just want my gear to not give me a headache.

Jan 11, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #135,729 of 155,086
Exactly, though that is veggie based and Marmite is beef based.
Marmite is made from the leftover yeast from the brewing of beer, not beef. You may be thinking of Bovril. I love both.

Jan 11, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #135,730 of 155,086

Hearing is really weird.
I am sensitive to the high end at times and never had an issue with my Bifrost ever...but some recordings did do the treble screwery for sure...it was in their mastering and recording process that this subjective crap was done...not in the dac IMO.

Graphs that have all these glittering generalities of words that confuse me even more are totally useless for me.

My ears, My music, My stuff and My opinion are only for me....YMMV.

Sharing is great but always state IMO.....makes things more tolerable.

Now back to the regular programming...

:>)

Jan 11, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #135,731 of 155,086
Jan 11, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #135,734 of 155,086
<INSERT CAT PIC HERE>
FTFY
IMG_1456_Original.jpeg

Our cat Guy Noir

Users who are viewing this thread

Back