Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 30, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #134,536 of 150,790
Gee. I post something about some possible yakking about electric toasters here. Then I get busy for the day and come back this evening, and I see more than a few posts about electric toaster and missed out on it!
Lesson: check this forum constantly!

Well, now for something completely different. An early 60's RCA Tube "Suitcase" record player.

https://reverb.com/item/865387-rca-victor-tube-powered-turntable-early-60s-worldwide-shipping

My parents gave me and my siblings this exact model for X-mas in 1963. 4 years later I started using it as headphones. Detach the speakers, lie on the floor with a pillow....
I figured out deep listening to music. "You keep me hanging on," Vanilla Fudge 7 minutes, or Voodoo Chile, Jimi Hendrix, 15 minutes long... Beethoven's 5th and the glorious 9th, from Anthony Burgess' Novel A Clockwork Orange (1962). The movie did not come out until 1971. Bach's Brandenburg Concerto's, Edgar Varese, Stravinsky, Ravi Shankar Mind altering experiences; no drugs were involved. Well, RC Cola.
One more:
Raga Ragehwar Jhaptal (10 Beats), Teental (16 Beats)

Another member's quote at the bottom of his posts:
“Oh it was gorgeousness and gorgeosity made flesh. The trombones crunched redgold under my bed, and behind my gulliver the trumpets three-wise silverflamed, and there by the door the timps rolling through my guts and out again crunched like candy thunder.
Anthony Burgess
That's portable hifi for ya...

Dec 30, 2023 at 6:59 AM Post #134,537 of 150,790
Idk, it seems fine when I use my Ayre Codex or Chord Mojo. I think if it’s well-implemented it can be fine.

But, the Mojo is a different beast than what is being discussed here. The Mojo has no true amplification section. Everything happens on and from the FGPA. It's all good within the confines of what it does. Same with the UHD EQ. I use mine as a streamer DAC frequently and I agree thar it works great.

If you were to scale that technology up and put it in a discrete topology like Schiit does, it sounds like it is much more of a complex issue.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #134,538 of 150,790
Peter Lyngdorf still funds Lars Risbo and Bruno Putzeys in new developments. Most likely he claims the larger parts of the patents benefits.
The most recent development of this duo is the Cue 100 speakers for which they developed new measurement techniques. The very first box speaker I have ever heard that comes close to an electrostatic. Just close, still not on par. Shame they too go for the max pricing. 20K per set without the speaker cloth that sells for an additional € 750. Sigh.

Dec 30, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #134,539 of 150,790
A gift in the spirit of the season.
A little while ago I asked about making some needledrops from the Mani2 using a Mac.
Needed an A/D everyone says. I remembered that old Macs had analog inputs. I have 2 old Macs, an old MacBook and, better yet, a Xeon Mac Pro.
Using an old version of Audacity I recorded the following two tracks and de-noised them. (using something like 32ft of RCA cables from where the turntable is to where the Mac Pro is).

They are tracks 5 and 10 from Ohm Audio's (RIP) Stereo Demonstration Record. Track 5 is a Flamenco performance and track 10 is Caravan from Hot Stix performed by Ed Graham. Pls let me know what you think and, omg, avoiding clipping is such a pain - takes my back to my LP and cassette days...

Good work. The files are nice and clear, no clipping. Great job on using a proprietary OS from the "dark side" 😉 (using open source software!)!

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #134,540 of 150,790
A gift in the spirit of the season.
A little while ago I asked about making some needledrops from the Mani2 using a Mac.
Needed an A/D everyone says. I remembered that old Macs had analog inputs. I have 2 old Macs, an old MacBook and, better yet, a Xeon Mac Pro.
Using an old version of Audacity I recorded the following two tracks and de-noised them. (using something like 32ft of RCA cables from where the turntable is to where the Mac Pro is).

They are tracks 5 and 10 from Ohm Audio's (RIP) Stereo Demonstration Record. Track 5 is a Flamenco performance and track 10 is Caravan from Hot Stix performed by Ed Graham. Pls let me know what you think and, omg, avoiding clipping is such a pain - takes my back to my LP and cassette days...

Great job! Thanks.

:beerchug:
JC

Dec 30, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #134,541 of 150,790
Digital volume control is never good.
That's why professional studio sound mixers never use it. Oh, wait, most of today's mixing consoles and all Pc-based recording is digital... oops.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #134,542 of 150,790
…and you’re the human every cat dreams of owning?
Perhaps. You are forever responsible for that which you tame, and I try to be a decent owner. We had to have our dog put down about a month ago and that has always been more difficult for me. Another cat we own but Morgan is my wife’s pet. IMG_6910.jpeg

Dec 30, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #134,543 of 150,790
Perhaps. You are forever responsible for that which you tame, and I try to be a decent owner. We had to have our dog put down about a month ago and that has always been more difficult for me. Another cat we own but Morgan is my wife’s pet.IMG_6910.jpeg

Sincere condolences about you're pup. It's never, ever, easy, no matter how much it's the humane thing to do.

Dec 30, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #134,544 of 150,790
Sincere condolences about you're pup. It's never, ever, easy, no matter how much it's the humane thing to do.
Woodstock had a good life, got along great with the cats and was a wonderful companion. IMG_6375.jpeg

Dec 30, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #134,545 of 150,790
My pi 5 has arrived, and I'm trying it out now with the pi2aes. Wow! I think you are onto something with your observations about improved sound through the gpio. I have never heard my DAC sound like this. I'm using the pi2aes's hdmi/i2s out. This is possibly the most holographic I've ever heard PCM sound.

Haven't tried AES yet. Annoyingly the pi2aes case doesn't line up properly with the USB/Ethernet ports since the rearrangement, so I left that side off and I'm a bit nervous about plugging in an XLR when the output jack isn't fastened to the case. May have to bust out the dremel.

Also, if I'm understanding this PR correctly, the drivers for the rpi 5 may finally allow sample rates higher than 192KHz. May finally be able to pass double data rate DSD via DoP: https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/pull/5751/commits/59cf556a359948f9bc7e59abe5adb78bce2c6514
Glad to here your happy with the new Pi. If the audio improvements are true (I've changed too many things to really know) it could be due to reduced noise on the GPIO due to the RP1 chip or an improved DMA. Would filing out the ethernet opening on the front plate allow you to fit the new pi? I compared the spacing to a Pi 3b and the jacks seem to line up pretty close. As for the 384Khz you could ask over on the Hifiberry forum since they are the ones making the driver or Michael Kelly of Pi2Design over on the SBAF dac thread "Dummies Guide to Pi2AES! Throw away your PC or laptop."
Are you using the new 5amp variable voltage power supply or some other 5v supply? I have found it matters once you add peripherals and ramp up the computation. The previous Pi 4 4amp supply works for light loads only.

Happy listening and my best.

Dec 30, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #134,546 of 150,790
I love my Wiim Pro Plus connected through Toslink to Schiit Modi Multibit (gen 1) DAC and this to Rega Brio amplifier. Everything is OK except one thing, when doing test and output set to 24/192 nothing is listened, but all other combinations up to 24/96 are OK. I discovered this when playing through Tidal Connect inside WiiM the Pink Floyd's Meddle album remastered to 24/192; now WiiM is setup to 24/96 max toslink output and even theses songs are very well played, but I am suffering a kind of downsampling from 24/192 to 24/196.

Is there any known issue between WiiM and Modi Multibit DAC? This DAC supports 24/192.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Have a Happy New Year.

Dec 30, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #134,547 of 150,790
I love my Wiim Pro Plus connected through Toslink to Schiit Modi Multibit (gen 1) DAC and this to Rega Brio amplifier. Everything is OK except one thing, when doing test and output set to 24/192 nothing is listened, but all other combinations up to 24/96 are OK. I discovered this when playing through Tidal Connect inside WiiM the Pink Floyd's Meddle album remastered to 24/192; now WiiM is setup to 24/96 max toslink output and even theses songs are very well played, but I am suffering a kind of downsampling from 24/192 to 24/196.

Is there any known issue between WiiM and Modi Multibit DAC? This DAC supports 24/192.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Have a Happy New Year.
My Wiim Pro doesn’t send 24/192 using toslink, into both Schiit Modi MB, and other dacs I’ve tried. Using coax all works fine. I would try a coax connection.

Dec 30, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #134,548 of 150,790
I've been rearranging my headphone components. FV is my main amp now. When I need more power, the Rekkr works magnificently. The source to the Yggy is either the Shanling ET3 for CD transport or my SOtM neo 200 for Roon. Life is good.

Then I remembered I had a Syn. And I just bought the Szell collection which has about 20+ discs in mono. Using the presence and width on the Syn does amazing things with those recordings. Otherwise those mono recordings were flat (I know, because they are mono). Now with the Syn, the recordings have some (pseudo) presence and dimension. Gotta love Schiit.

Dec 30, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #134,549 of 150,790
My Wiim Pro doesn’t send 24/192 using toslink, into both Schiit Modi MB, and other dacs I’ve tried. Using coax all works fine. I would try a coax connection.
Thanks a lot for your prompt answer, I changed the toslink by an QED coax and it works properly at 24/192, both the WiiM testing and the Pink Floyd album.

Dec 30, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #134,550 of 150,790

Probably because the toslink specification maxes out at 24/96.

:beerchug:
JC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back