Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 27, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #134,251 of 153,407
... skinning existing streamers. Make use of a Modi chassis or something ... Maybe use an Asgard case as well. ... Would there be interest? Would it be profitable? Would it be a logistical nightmare?
Would love it if there were Pi-cases from Schiit (in silver, natch) to match my Asgard and my MagPi. I mean, how can @Jason Stoddard not make something he could call the Schiit Pi Pan?!

Dec 27, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #134,252 of 153,407
Great album. I'm unsure why it needed a remaster, especially considering that the vast majority of remasters are just EQ'd at the expense of dynamic range (this one included). I'd rather leave the dynamic range intact and EQ myself if it absolutely needs it. The original master definitely doesn't need EQ in this case.
That's something I've been wondering about lately.

Is there any way to tell if a remaster is actually utilizing today's dynamic range capabilities or just redoing it to win the Loudness Wars?

Dec 27, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #134,253 of 153,407
I know, modernism/post-romanticism isn't everybody's cup of tea. But Arnold Schönberg is still one of the most seriously under-appreciated composers.
Wasn't a movie made about his son and a painting?

P.S. Yes, indeed. Good movie, too.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #134,254 of 153,407
BINGO.

I always laugh a bit when I consider where ARM started, and all the stuff it's in today.

It's also a reminder that sometimes you gotta keep going...
Also a reminder that we're old! I read about the Archimedes (the predecessor to the Arm-based computers) in the old computer magazines when I had a Commodore 64.

One estimate is that there are over 230 billion Arm CPUs that's been made so far. No surprise considering the very first iPhone probably had a dozen Arm cores in them spread among all the various peripherals. As you know, the various TI USB-C chips you can get to implement a wall-wart charger or add USB-C to your device use Arm cores, and some of them can even do software updates. It's actually sort of scary how much computing power is necessary (or is it?) to run a modern peripheral.

Dec 27, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #134,255 of 153,407
The switch on the front is an input selector. There is no power switch. :)

This particular project is a cigar box front, back and bottom, and plywood sides and rails to mount the plastic top. I go for function over form...
Nice work!

I saw on eBay a pair of RedDragon amplifiers made into a wine crate, similar in concept. My better half almost agreed to let me buy them for aesthetic reasons.

Do scotch come in crates? Can we do that? Schiit Mjolnir Bunnhabain Edition, anyone?

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #134,257 of 153,407
A hackintosh is a home-built PC with a hacked BIOS that can run MacOS instead of Windows.

I never had to hack the BIOS of my Hackintoshes to get them to work, but there was a lot of messing with bootloaders, kexts, and fussy components.

Dec 27, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #134,258 of 153,407
Also a reminder that we'ret's actually sort of scary how much computing power is necessary (or is it?) to run a modern peripheral.
Yes, I just flashed the firmware on the remote for my powered window blinds. Let me say that again: remote for powered window blinds.

The blinds actually don't require a hub for the wireless remote control nor smart app - so I guess the logic must go somewhere. But it does require a gateway for voice integration.

So as a lifetime corporate software developer, I totally respect Jason's business practice of no general computing devices.

But I am a LITTLE curious if there was any security risk assessment needed around the company's USB implementations. Like I said, corporate software developer that understands software vulnerabilities but not a clue about hardware support.

If someone writes a malicious
USB stick to pretend to be a musical bitstream, which could what? Silly question I know, but Google stuxnet for some 10 to 15+ year old USB hackery, and consider some of the biggest bot nets out there were supposedly compromised cheapo IP security cams.

Dec 27, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #134,259 of 153,407
While I have liked some double casked bourbon I don’t recall it being smoother. It may make it more complex but you can get better complexity by just aging it longer in one barrel. 5 years aging is better than average but I find 8-12 years optimal. Anything older than 12 starts to pick up more of the charring from the inner barrel and gives it a smokier sensation. Some people think it’s worth the added expense but not me. And if you want smoother bourbon consider wheated ones like Makers Mark or Weller if you can find it.
Want smother Bourbon, get some Jameson's. The best Irish bourbon in Ireland.

Dec 27, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #134,260 of 153,407
Yes, I just flashed the firmware on the remote for my powered window blinds. Let me say that again: remote for powered window blinds.

The blinds actually don't require a hub for the wireless remote control nor smart app - so I guess the logic must go somewhere. But it does require a gateway for voice integration.

So as a lifetime corporate software developer, I totally respect Jason's business practice of no general computing devices.

But I am a LITTLE curious if there was any security risk assessment needed around the company's USB implementations. Like I said, corporate software developer that understands software vulnerabilities but not a clue about hardware support.

If someone writes a malicious
USB stick to pretend to be a musical bitstream, which could what? Silly question I know, but Google stuxnet for some 10 to 15+ year old USB hackery, and consider some of the biggest bot nets out there were supposedly compromised cheapo IP security cams.

@Jason Stoddard may address your question. I imagine though that the Urd USB hub does not respond to network protocols and probably only recognizes a limited class of streaming protocols. But your observations are interesting.

Dec 27, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #134,261 of 153,407
Well, then you're all set. I would prefer 1 remote to rule them all. 😏
I'm not a remote guy (other than TV).
Aren't there universal remotes that "read" OEM remotes, and combine the functions?

Dec 27, 2023 at 11:53 PM Post #134,262 of 153,407
Yes, but they are not a nice solid aluminum and Schiit-specific with a cool Schiit logo. :D

I get what you're saying and YES one could 'cobble together' a solution with a generic learning remote, I guess. This is a nice-to-have as opposed to a gotta-have for me, so I'll wait and pounce if Schiit introduces one, otherwise I'll just keep using the individual remotes. I do wish Schiit remotes had a switchable backlight, although I've gotten pretty good at identifying buttons by memory and feel in the dark. :wink:

** I wish Logitech Harmony was still in production.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #134,263 of 153,407
Is there any way to tell if a remaster is actually utilizing today's dynamic range capabilities or just redoing it to win the Loudness Wars?
Finding more dynamic range for a remaster is very hard to find. Dynamic range has to be there to begin with so count out almost all popular modern music, even on tape masters.
Redoing an album for volume is more the norm for remasters. Which is a shame because think of what might be available (if powers that be consented). Noise and muddyness removal, better focus on instruments thru slight EQ, and even a clearer mix. What if the vocals and instruments could be enjoyed more! IMO, most remasters now are to bring up the volume level to get us to buy the product again. Just like taking a 16/44.1 CD and upsampling it to 24/96 and saying it's now Hi-Rez.

Dec 28, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #134,264 of 153,407
I don't even know what it is and I'm already experiencing FOMO. :rolling_eyes:

I already bought the Yggy GS2, so I'm just trying to recoup part of the expense since that was part of the deal with the wife. :wink:

What it got me in comparison to BF2 was:
  • More 3D holographic presentation with a wide and more deep/tall soundstage
  • More air around instruments/voices
  • More timbre and detail
  • More punch and control in the bass
  • More crystalline and airy highs (non-etched or harsh)
  • Greater and more realistic instrument decay
  • Live recordings sound more live
The BF2 is an EXCELLENT DAC so I did not expect as significant a difference as I got when moving to Yggy GS2.

I mentioned in my recap of thoughts re: Yggy GS2 that Live sounded more Live. Wait til night, turn out the lights, and queue up this remastered album. Be prepared to smile.😏

1000004074.jpg
One of the best live albums ever. Summer of '78, it didn't leave my tape player. Still one of my favorites. Southern funk from California. (back when california funk was a good thing).

Dec 28, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #134,265 of 153,407
Finding more dynamic range for a remaster is very hard to find. Dynamic range has to be there to begin with so count out almost all popular modern music, even on tape masters.
Redoing an album for volume is more the norm for remasters. Which is a shame because think of what might be available (if powers that be consented). Noise and muddyness removal, better focus on instruments thru slight EQ, and even a clearer mix. What if the vocals and instruments could be enjoyed more! IMO, most remasters now are to bring up the volume level to get us to buy the product again. Just like taking a 16/44.1 CD and upsampling it to 24/96 and saying it's now Hi-Rez.

Yes, there is no point and no advantage to upsampling any digital file ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back