Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 25, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #133,996 of 150,791
New scotch for me here tonight, Bunnahabhain Toiteach A Dha. 12 tear old Islay Single Malt. Nice smoky taste.

Happy holidaze to all
Bunna's one of my favorite distilleries! That one sounds amazing.

Dec 25, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #133,997 of 150,791
Yesterday:
https://outerbanksdistilling.com/

Visit included tasting, beverage for A and a tour of the new still, fermenting and bottling installation which recently started operations.

Typically, I am not a rum fan however, I am a fan of local distilleries.

The Kill Devil Pecan Rum is outstanding.
"Inspired by large pecan trees that tower over our distillery, Kill Devil Pecan Rum gives us the chance to utilize local produce. The honey used is sourced from our neighboring town of Wanchese while the pecans are from an orchard just across the Croatan sound in Manns Harbor. This rum has butterscotch in the nose and starts out with nutty pecan flavors giving way to a subtle honey finish that gives it body and a creamy mouthfeel. A rather pleasant byproduct of our production is a large quantity of rum soaked pecans. We have now begun to candy these pecans-"
That rum sounds wonderful! I've never had a rum distilled from honey before.

Dec 25, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #133,998 of 150,791
Dec 25, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #133,999 of 150,791
@Paladin79 was in the cable business. Maybe he has a cryo facility we can use?
Only my home freezer🙂. I am in Virginia and a freezer in my son’s home bar can hit 40 below F but I doubt if that is cold enough.😁

Dec 25, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #134,000 of 150,791
😆😝 Too much Knob Creek is just enough.
My son has some of your Oregon Spirits on his overflow shelves. I brought him Blanton’s and E.H. Taylor to add to a few choices. IMG_7194.jpeg

Dec 25, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #134,001 of 150,791
Sometimes you just get a good deal. :)

It's like the few sub-$10 Tone Poet and Blue Note Classic records I nabbed from a couple of online stores this past year.
Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus:

Back on November 25, I ordered some vinyl, direct from Blue Note. It got forgotten in the Holiday shuffle. This morning I got an email from Blue Note. Because it was not delivered by Christmas, they issued me full refund.........and next week they are sending me the complete order at no cost.

What am I doing with the money I saved? Why, purchasing a Mani 2, to feed Blue notes to my Cary Audio CAD-300 SEI, driving a pair of Betsy Baffles.

Dec 25, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #134,002 of 150,791
My wife got me this for Christmas:
1000001908.jpg

Dec 25, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #134,003 of 150,791
The Pi 5 is the way when you can get one (pishop.us has 4GB in stock). They moved the GPIO, I2S/C and the USB off the SOC and into the new RP1 chip. Ethernet is still on a separate chip. For me driving an Allo Digione with BNC to Coax cable into the Bifrost 2/64 there was a slightly better resolution over the Pi 4. The transients are now sharper and less rounded compared to the Pi 4. Not to mention I also hooked up a 2TB nvme directly to the new pcie connector using the PineberryPi.com Hat card. HDParam speed measured at 405MB per sec over Gen 3x1 connection.
The Pi 4 is still a great board for a music server. Best performance to date, IMO, comes from the latest addition to the family. For a new build the extra $5 is worth it. Only problem Pi3/4 cases don't fit.
Sir, I am in your debt! Just ordered myself an xmas present. Especially interested in the PCIe capability. May make a new pi-based TimeMachine or media server.

Dec 25, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #134,004 of 150,791
My son has some of your Oregon Spirits on his overflow shelves. I brought him Blanton’s and E.H. Taylor to add to a few choices.IMG_7194.jpeg
Love to see it! That Freeland Gin (made in Portland, Or.) is also awesome, and is placed into one of the most beautiful bottles on the market. 💧

Dec 25, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #134,005 of 150,791
Wonderful Christmas album of classic 50s Deutsche Grammophon recordings on two CDs. Lovely rich old-world sound quality on a mix of stereo and mono selections - orchestral, choral, and organ abounds. Anyone who is familiar with DG Original Masters releases in I'll know this sound.

This is Volume 2 and I have been unable to find it on streaming services. Volume 1 can be found on Apple Music but nowhere else, strangely.

Das Weihnachtsalbum

IMG_6096.jpeg

Dec 25, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #134,007 of 150,791
Sir, I am in your debt! Just ordered myself an xmas present. Especially interested in the PCIe capability. May make a new pi-based TimeMachine or media server.
Pcie for a nvme ssd works great, using a 2tb now partitioned up for the OS and an NTFS 1.7tb music drive. The cards you need to mount an nvme are currently offered by the Polish firm Pineberry.com as a bottom board for the full size 2280 or a hat sized board for the smaller form factors. Pimaroni.com in England will be offering a bottom card in January and Raspberry Pi foundation will also have a new HAT+ card some time early next year. Everything is faster, firefox and chrome now have Widevine DRM so you can watch Netflix. Web page loading takes 2 seconds rather than 10 thus is now usable as an actual computer. Most of the old software should work though you may have to go into configuration and set it up for OpenBox X11 window manager rather then the newer Wayfire. In my opinion moving the GPIO and I2S/C interface onto the RP1 interface chip has made I2S cleaner and maybe faster. I think I'm hearing a slightly crisper sound from my Allo Digione over the Pi 4. Almost similar to Bifrost Unison.
One problem is getting a case that fits for the nvme cards, bottom cards especially. There are a new slew of regular pi 5 cases coming out. You will want the new 5amp variable voltage charger supply if using a lot of peripherals off the USB. And get the new heat sink specifically designed for the Pi 5. If in the US then Chicagodist.com has all the Pi 5 accessories or try pishop.us. You might want the new realtime clock battery as well, though if the Pi is on the network it will reset itself on boot.

Best to you and your family.

Dec 25, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #134,008 of 150,791
Skoll!!!

The bass, the dynamics, the airy highs. Oh my, the 3D soundstage and imaging! I was blown away with a Mani 2 last year, but this is on another level folks. Best four hundred dollars in analog audio? Could be...needless to say I'm having fun today. Thanks Schiit Audio for providing such superb audio products for the money!

Dec 25, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #134,009 of 150,791
Wonderful Christmas album of classic 50s Deutsche Grammophon recordings on two CDs. Lovely rich old-world sound quality on a mix of stereo and mono selections - orchestral, choral, and organ abounds. Anyone who is familiar with DG Original Masters releases in I'll know this sound.

This is Volume 2 and I have been unable to find it on streaming services. Volume 1 can be found on Apple Music but nowhere else, strangely.

Das Weihnachtsalbum

IMG_6096.jpeg

Great find!

IMG_9118.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back