Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 25, 2023 at 3:39 AM Post #133,966 of 155,074
Man this Magni+ Heretic is cool! It's just amazing what quality you can get in 2023 without breaking the bank. I think back to the amps I was paying 2x that or more for back in my college years that just suck by way of comparison. I'm not saying there's not room to climb up past their product class but performance for the dollar is great, thanks Schiit! The Heretic gets along super well with my AKG K712s, really enjoyable listening experience that is quite revealing, feels nice and fast, close to the material, but not clinical/sterile or fatiguing (forgive me wandering into weird words, you know how it is trying to describe audio outside of just "measurements"). I didn't know what to expect going in as I found that I prefer my Magni+ with my two 600 ohm Beyers and partly it's to do with their exceptional treble response clashing a bit with the Heretic's extremely accurate high frequencies, just got to be too much of what can otherwise be a good thing, though the Loki Mini+ can come to the rescue and pull the high highs slightly to compensate, I like the Magni+'s other characteristics well enough that I'd rather just switch to it and enjoy the whole package it offers that sounds so good with the 600 ohm Beyers to begin with also. Game of inches there, they are both capable amplifiers and obviously both of a (superb value!) class.

Dec 25, 2023 at 4:25 AM Post #133,967 of 155,074
What?! {{or as a fellow Special Ed. teacher used to say, well-that's-funny}}. What's the catch?

Weird DRM bolted onto the files? Early, meh-quality recordings? Hatchet-job transfer to FLAC files? Legit transfer from the original DECA discs? I'm not trying to be an a@@hole, @earnmyturns . What am I missing? :triportsad:
No idea. My guess is that's a mistake in their pricing, or maybe they were feeling generous for the holidays. The FLACs look legit, they have reasonable (if not perfect) metadata. A standard CD transfer for a digital remaster of the original analog tapes. What I listened to sounded good.

Everything looks legit to me. The price for the same album in the Qobuz download store is $12 (just a few dollars more than Presto Music). Qobuz identifies it as from Decca Music Group Ltd.

This album is also available to stream on all of the streaming services (Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz, Apple, Amazon — search for "marriner 20th century"). On Qobuz: https://open.qobuz.com/album/0002894782759. Qobuz also has the 28 page PDF program booklet, which Presto does not seem to offer. You can download the program booklet here: https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/54/000011845.pdf

There has been a trend in recent years to release CD box sets of reissued older classical music recordings at bargain prices. For example, the 106 CD box set of George Szell Complete Columbia Recordings is on Amazon for $160, which works out to $1.51 per disc. We're talking about 106 brand new physical CDs in a nice storage box, along with a 140 page program book! There are other similarly priced box sets for Bruno Walter, Eugene Ormandy, Otto Klemperer, and others.

Dec 25, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #133,968 of 155,074
<Deleted. Mistaken reply to an old message>

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #133,970 of 155,074
New scotch for me here tonight, Bunnahabhain Toiteach A Dha. 12 tear old Islay Single Malt. Nice smoky taste.

Happy holidaze to all
Emergency. :ambulance: I just twisted my tongue trying to pronounce this brand.

Dec 25, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #133,971 of 155,074
Many years ago I visited the Bunnahabhain distillery on Islay.

A magical place!

My personal favorite Islay.

I've been to Tomatin and Glenlievet. Both were memorable experiences.

Dec 25, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #133,972 of 155,074
20231225_140022.jpg

They taste great, indeed.
20231225_142442.jpg

Edit: Added the 'big picture'..

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #133,975 of 155,074
Merry Christmas to my fellow Schiitheads!

Dec 25, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #133,977 of 155,074
Wishing all a Merry Christmas and may all your tubes be glowin’! :smiley:

IMG_3158.jpeg

Very happy holiday wishes from the (currently) snowy town of Eskilstuna, Sweden where we have a good amount of snow as opposed to yesteryears:

IMG_4067.jpeg

IMG_4076.jpeg

Luckily we have the aforementioned tubes to warm up the room :ksc75smile:

Dec 25, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #133,978 of 155,074
Dec 25, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #133,979 of 155,074
Man this Magni+ Heretic is cool! It's just amazing what quality you can get in 2023 without breaking the bank. I think back to the amps I was paying 2x that or more for back in my college years that just suck by way of comparison. I'm not saying there's not room to climb up past their product class but performance for the dollar is great, thanks Schiit! The Heretic gets along super well with my AKG K712s, really enjoyable listening experience that is quite revealing, feels nice and fast, close to the material, but not clinical/sterile or fatiguing (forgive me wandering into weird words, you know how it is trying to describe audio outside of just "measurements"). I didn't know what to expect going in as I found that I prefer my Magni+ with my two 600 ohm Beyers and partly it's to do with their exceptional treble response clashing a bit with the Heretic's extremely accurate high frequencies, just got to be too much of what can otherwise be a good thing, though the Loki Mini+ can come to the rescue and pull the high highs slightly to compensate, I like the Magni+'s other characteristics well enough that I'd rather just switch to it and enjoy the whole package it offers that sounds so good with the 600 ohm Beyers to begin with also. Game of inches there, they are both capable amplifiers and obviously both of a (superb value!) class.
I have the late 2022 Heresy, even without the negative gain, it is still a wonderful small amp with pre.

Dec 25, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #133,980 of 155,074

Users who are viewing this thread

Back