Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 21, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #133,456 of 150,848
That's standard FedEx service here in Canada too - endless unexplained delays. Sometimes they'll sit on the package for two days at one location with no explanation while insisting it isn't there.

My package once sat on the truck for over a week while the tracking info said they tried to deliver it everyday. Except I have security cameras. They never tried once.

Dec 21, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #133,457 of 150,848
Having thrown the planars at the MJ3, I figured it was time to plug in the dynamic drivers. All single ended in this case, even though I have balanced cables for everything except the Grados. These are definitely not power hungry compared to the planars, as they’ll all bleed ears in low gain 1/4”
IMG_2909.jpeg

Dec 21, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #133,459 of 150,848
I thought you were being serious, and... Not having gazillions to spend, I decided to see if I could DIY such a wonderful invention for Schiit money... or maybe less.

Seriously, I mean seriously, I went down to the local Bunnings (That's Australian for a hardware store) and bought a bag of rocks. The guy in the store with the branded overalls gave me a wide grin (very happy folks down there, it seems) and swore to me they were crushed quartz, not some fake white rocks for the garden. He couldn't confirm they were from Ballarat, though. So after hours of experimentation, taken with occasional sips of amber liquid (Helps with thinking up wonderful naming conventions, I've been told, which, of course, can only make things sound better!) I then got some resin to hold in all those incredible vibration, killing and healing properties. Put it all in a suitable plastic container. Hey, it's recyclable! Just in case, this whole idea all turns to crap, and, well... The listening tests are pending... in the fullness of Schitt time, of course.

Now that's done, I will relax, sit under the Christmas tree and wait for Santa. I hope he has my MJ3... Do you think FedEx will find Santa's address?
QFeet.JPG
Pre baked version. Have to wait about 2 weeks for two more milk lids.
Merry Christmas
they look Bonza !! Have you considered floating the entire system on a quartz gravel bed ?? - or have I had a little too much of the amber brew !!:beerchug:

Dec 21, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #133,462 of 150,848
This is why I got Qobuz and Roon. To listen to new stuff that 50-year-old me wouldn’t otherwise hear.
A good radio station via internet access will take you around the world. Find a radio program with a great announcer/personality and that's entertainment while hearing new/old/different music. YMMV and I will always be prejudiced to listen to radio because I grew up in a radio station.

Dec 21, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #133,463 of 150,848
Thanks to a fellow Head-Fier, @artur9, my Gumby arrived today - one day early and just 2 days in transit - by Fed-Ex in a cross-border shipment, and early in the morning, too! I fully expected it to be delayed until after Christmas based on prior Fed-Ex shipments. He also generously included a very good quality coax cable. Everything arrived in great shape and well-packed and sealed. Thanks Arturo! I've already added it to the stack and it's warming up. It should be ready for me to sit down for some serious listening this evening.

The Schiit pile in the reading room is getting a bit silly-sized. I may consider moving some bits to the family room speaker system. The Gumby will definitely be tried out there. I added some room treatments this week to reduce audio reflections and carefully did a room calibration with Audyssey. I'll do a full REW analysis there over the holiday and tweak as-needed, but the sound there is now noticeably much better, especially after a careful subwoofer move. I'm looking forward to hearing what adding the Gumby to the mix might do (likely get me jonesing for a Yggy :ksc75smile:).

Question: Does anyone happen to know the thread size on the screws in the feet in the Gungnir? I have a set of silver puck feet I want to use but the included screws are too wide and the ones that hold the default rubber nubs are too short.

1703172142215.png

1703172207150.png

Dec 21, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #133,464 of 150,848
A good radio station via internet access will take you around the world. Find a radio program with a great announcer/personality and that's entertainment while hearing new/old/different music. YMMV and I will always be prejudiced to listen to radio because I grew up in a radio station.
Radio Garden would be a great place to look.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #133,465 of 150,848
I have been inside a lot of electronica in my day but I cannot tell what is going on there...
I'm a good intentioned Shill on an NDA (Nice Damn Amp)... if you search thru my posts, you'll find the path to figure it out... enjoy the fireworks. If you can't, send me a message and I'll tell you.

I posted that as it was relevant to filters being inside equipment - perhaps something to take note of. Apparently there are also filters inside some Schiit stuffs. That's good to know.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #133,466 of 150,848
And I do the exact same thing with Cabernet. Synergy is everything. For instance, tonight I grilled some ribeyes and herbed tomatoes in the rain. Both were just so good and I could not believe how moist they were. And, to expand with the sine wave, both my black cats hung out with me in the rain, at night, and that added a level a darkness that was otherwise unachievable.
We audiophiles do love a black background.

Dec 21, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #133,468 of 150,848
Dec 21, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #133,469 of 150,848
I use Roon to find radio stations all over the world. It has dramatically increased the scope of my listening "comfort zone". I love to keep hearing eclectic music which is new to me.

Leo

Dec 21, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #133,470 of 150,848
Radio Paradise is excellent for this and meets all of those criteria. I haven't listened in a number of years as I've taken the wheel of my own musical exploration with streaming services, but early on Radio Paradise was extremely formative in shaping the kinds of musical exposure I had in the iTunes days of yore.

EDIT: Happy to see I was ninja'd re: Radio Paradise. Peeps got that good taste! 😎

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back