Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 20, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #133,396 of 155,093
I know how you all feel. I ordered a ton of Schiit gear but all I got was a notice the label for shipping was printed for the last 1 week. :/

Dec 20, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #133,397 of 155,093
I thought you were being serious, and... Not having gazillions to spend, I decided to see if I could DIY such a wonderful invention for Schiit money... or maybe less.

Seriously, I mean seriously, I went down to the local Bunnings (That's Australian for a hardware store) and bought a bag of rocks. The guy in the store with the branded overalls gave me a wide grin (very happy folks down there, it seems) and swore to me they were crushed quartz, not some fake white rocks for the garden. He couldn't confirm they were from Ballarat, though. So after hours of experimentation, taken with occasional sips of amber liquid (Helps with thinking up wonderful naming conventions, I've been told, which, of course, can only make things sound better!) I then got some resin to hold in all those incredible vibration, killing and healing properties. Put it all in a suitable plastic container. Hey, it's recyclable! Just in case, this whole idea all turns to crap, and, well... The listening tests are pending... in the fullness of Schitt time, of course.

Now that's done, I will relax, sit under the Christmas tree and wait for Santa. I hope he has my MJ3... Do you think FedEx will find Santa's address?
QFeet.JPG
Pre baked version. Have to wait about 2 weeks for two more milk lids.
Merry Christmas
That's awesome! :relieved:

Dec 20, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #133,398 of 155,093
I discovered a sweet fact for those that have no access to Quartz...

table sugar is a piezoelectric material. :wink:

Dec 20, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #133,401 of 155,093
No. It's not cables but the Unison interface "digital headroom" in the MIB. I've swapped a generic freebie toslink and various USB cables and even using laptop against my DAP and it's only SPDIF toslink and coax that clips with MIB on a specific test track. Other than that I perceive no technical issues at all. Keep in mind the ultimate culprit is the music source file and not the DAC or interface. I would know tomorrow for sure if the same clipping behavior on toslink happens with BF2 OG (Unison against toslink) at my workplace with pics added for clarification of course
You are correct, I should have said input interface not cables. I still do not see how an interface has anything to do with intersample overs. You are correct again, intersample overs are a result of hot recording.

And how do you know that you have intersample overs? Hearing distortion or scoping the converted signal?

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #133,402 of 155,093
I know how you all feel. I ordered a ton of Schiit gear but all I got was a notice the label for shipping was printed for the last 1 week. :/
…. order backlog on printer ink just 🌋 …. 😅

Dec 20, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #133,403 of 155,093

Review of some "audiophile" nonsense.

Dec 20, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #133,404 of 155,093
You are correct, I should have said input interface not cables. I still do not see how an interface has anything to do with intersample overs. You are correct again, intersample overs are a result of hot recording.

And how do you know that you have intersample overs? Hearing distortion or scoping the converted signal?

Clipping only on one track that I can repeat consistently without changing anything other than switching my DAP output from USB to Toslink in the Yggy+ MIB DAC. Tomorrow's gonna be interesting if the same scenario will happen with BF2 Unison and Toslink

Dec 20, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #133,406 of 155,093
I thought you were being serious, and... Not having gazillions to spend, I decided to see if I could DIY such a wonderful invention for Schiit money... or maybe less.

Seriously, I mean seriously, I went down to the local Bunnings (That's Australian for a hardware store) and bought a bag of rocks. The guy in the store with the branded overalls gave me a wide grin (very happy folks down there, it seems) and swore to me they were crushed quartz, not some fake white rocks for the garden. He couldn't confirm they were from Ballarat, though. So after hours of experimentation, taken with occasional sips of amber liquid (Helps with thinking up wonderful naming conventions, I've been told, which, of course, can only make things sound better!) I then got some resin to hold in all those incredible vibration, killing and healing properties. Put it all in a suitable plastic container. Hey, it's recyclable! Just in case, this whole idea all turns to crap, and, well... The listening tests are pending... in the fullness of Schitt time, of course.

Now that's done, I will relax, sit under the Christmas tree and wait for Santa. I hope he has my MJ3... Do you think FedEx will find Santa's address?
QFeet.JPG
Pre baked version. Have to wait about 2 weeks for two more milk lids.
Merry Christmas
That's the spirit!

Dec 20, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #133,407 of 155,093

Clipping only on one track that I can repeat consistently without changing anything other than switching my DAP output from USB to Toslink in the Yggy+ MIB DAC. Tomorrow's gonna be interesting if the same scenario will happen with BF2 Unison and Toslink
Is that track available from standard streaming services? Which track, place in the track?

Dec 20, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #133,408 of 155,093
This afternoon’s album: Joni Mitchell —Apple Music 192kHz/24 bit.
IMG_9078.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #133,409 of 155,093
Joni Mitchell —Apple Music 192kHz/24 bit.

No clipping on that track with my mojo2/poly. 🤪

In all seriousness, what am I supposed to hear or do you hear when the track clips? Is this only with the MIB?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back