Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 18, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #133,246 of 150,483
I just tried some Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale. Blows the doors off some highly regarded red ale.

Any other good Nut Brown Ales out? More cost effective ones? Newcastle sux since it's now brewed by Lagunitas.
Downtown brown is a good Calif contender from Lost Coast, and so is Moose Drool, out of Montana. Sad, but you’re bang on about Newcastle.

but at the moment Samuel Smith’s Winter Welcome is on the map, and in my glass. Another great holiday pint is this year’s Delirium Noël, from Brouwerij Huyghe (Belgium).

Really depends on where you live. Tried a brown whilst touristing in Williamsburg, best I)ve ever had, but not distributed outside of the tidewater area. I have to drive (basically) to the Schiitr to get Moose Drool. A sacrifice I’m willing to make.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #133,248 of 150,483
Purchased a couple 4 packs of the Samuel Smith Winter Welcome Ale

I am missing my yearly 6 pack of Anchor Christmas Ale.

This year (so far) I have not found any Ridgeway Brewing: Bad Elf Winter Ale - Hoppy Beer, Very Bad Elf - Bitter, Seriously Bad Elf - Tripel, Insanely Bad Elf - Dark Beer, Criminally Bad Elf - Barley Wine or Santa's Butt - Porter.

All have been at Total Wine (Greensboro NC) in the past, they told me not coming this year.

I did see their Lump of Coal - Stout, which I should of picked up.

Ridgeway list a Warm Welcome Nut Brownd Ale; I have never found it around here either.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #133,249 of 150,483
LCD5 on 1/4” and LCD4 on XLR. Volume levels are pretty similar on the MJ3 with this setup for comparison. As one might imagine, bass is still much more substantial on LCD4 before EQ.
IMG_2888.jpeg

Dec 19, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #133,251 of 150,483
Downtown brown is a good Calif contender from Lost Coast, and so is Moose Drool, out of Montana. Sad, but you’re bang on about Newcastle.

but at the moment Samuel Smith’s Winter Welcome is on the map, and in my glass. Another great holiday pint is this year’s Delirium Noël, from Brouwerij Huyghe (Belgium).

Really depends on where you live. Tried a brown whilst touristing in Williamsburg, best I)ve ever had, but not distributed outside of the tidewater area. I have to drive (basically) to the Schiitr to get Moose Drool. A sacrifice I’m willing to make.
Yup Newcastle Brown ale sucks in the Uk now too ! transformed from nectar of the gods to sewage water recently !!!

Dec 19, 2023 at 5:04 AM Post #133,252 of 150,483
OK, thanks once again @Ripper2860 for sparking an idea .... We have loads of Quartz lying around here, remnants of the Gold Rush era back in the mid-1850s. Quartz is fantastic as an oscillation crystal and these properties make it ideal for isolating and removing vibrations.

I present to you all the Aurelia Acoustic Pods.

* Prototype Only

Unleash Sonic Brilliance with Timeless Craftsmanship!

Discover a new realm of audio perfection with Aurelia Acoustic Pods – the epitome of elegance and scientific precision. Crafted for the true audiophile, these hand-polished isolation pods redefine the way you experience music, merging history, and innovation in a harmonious symphony.

Key Features:

Historical Resonance:
Immerse your audio setup in the echoes of history with Aurelia Acoustic Pods. Filled with quartz rocks sourced from the legendary gold mines of 1850s Ballarat, these pods pay homage to an era of opulence and refinement.

Scientifically Proven Acoustic Isolation: Elevate your listening experience with the power of science. The quartz-infused epoxy construction of Aurelia Acoustic Pods boasts scientifically proven acoustic isolation properties. Say goodbye to unwanted vibrations and reduce magnetic influences on delicate low-level signals, allowing your audio components to shine with unparalleled clarity.

Hand-Polished Finish: Every Aurelia Acoustic Pod is a testament to meticulous craftsmanship. Hand-polished to perfection, these pods not only enhance your audio setup but also serve as a visual masterpiece, reflecting the care and dedication poured into their creation.

Customized for Your Gear: Whether you're a vinyl enthusiast with a premium turntable or a connoisseur of digital sound with high-end DACs and CD players, Aurelia Acoustic Pods are designed to complement and enhance the performance of a variety of audio components. It's the universal upgrade your setup deserves.

Durable Craftsmanship: Built to last, Aurelia Acoustic Pods are constructed with high-strength epoxy, ensuring longevity and stability for your valuable audio gear. The dense, porous atomic structure of the quartz rocks provides an additional layer of protection against vibrations, preserving the integrity of your sound.

Elevate Your Listening Sanctuary:

Transform your listening space into a haven of sonic perfection with Aurelia Acoustic Pods. Imbued with the legacy of Ballarat's golden era and fortified by cutting-edge acoustic technology, these pods redefine the way you experience music.

Upgrade your audio setup today and embark on a journey where history meets innovation – where the past and the future converge in harmonious bliss. Aurelia Acoustic Pods – Because Your Audio Deserves the Finest!

Coming Soon! (or not....)

:xf_cool:
Bizarrely what you have described here is a classic constrained layer composite device that would in all probability work well !! - used as a part of an isolating shelf / feet for example - the quartz piezo electric effect may have some merit by converting vibration energy into electricity ( other products convert vibration into heat ) - makes it look pretty too - usually if the listener is in a good mood because something looks satisfying or artistic the listening experience is good too !!

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #133,253 of 150,483
How does the heat output of a Mjolnir 3 compare to a Freya+ in tube mode? I have a Freya+ on my desk now and I’m thinking about replacing a Soloist 3X with a M3.

Dec 19, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #133,254 of 150,483
Don't tell Bill, but I'm not really sure I can hear a difference. Maybe I have them in backwards. :smirk:
Have you try and compare with this? :)

Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 21.28.46.png

Dec 19, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #133,255 of 150,483
How does the heat output of a Mjolnir 3 compare to a Freya+ in tube mode? I have a Freya+ on my desk now and I’m thinking about replacing a Soloist 3X with a M3.
I used to have a Freya OG and I recall that being hotter in tube mode than the MJ3 is. I don’t have it now to do a side by side since I replaced it with a Freya S

Dec 19, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #133,256 of 150,483
Dec 19, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #133,257 of 150,483
My thoughts on the Yggdrasil+ GS 2 after 5 days (about 25 hours listening time). Disclaimers: Yggy has been on since 11AM Thursday. Previous DAC was the Bifrost 2, upgraded to the 2/64 card. That is in my work headphone setup now. I think for the price/value factor, the Bifrost 2/64 is the best buy of all the Schiit products I have purchased, but the Yggy is not going anywhere…ever. I can no longer hear anything over 17KHz. I’m 54 years old, and have played the drums since I was 6, so my hearing is slightly diminished.

After plugging in the Yggy and leaving it on for 4 hours, I started listing to music on Qobuz on my 2 channel and I have listened to CD’s as well. First thing I noticed was the bass. It was and still is simply sublime. It’s clear even down low, precise and impactful. The Bifrost’s bass seems muddy in comparison. I’m not saying the bass on the Bifrost is muddy, just compared to the Yggy it doesn’t dig as deep and is not as clean as the Yggy. The highs on the Yggy are different, but still not sure how in comparison to the Bifrost.

Yggy+ GS2 just has an overall pleasing analog, very realistic sound. Sounds are so real it’s shocking at times. It’s a immersive, personal experience. You feel like part of the music…inside it, if that makes sense. I don’t think the soundstage is any deeper or wide than the Bifrost, it’s just the Yggy has more air and space around everything, it makes it seem that way. I think the word imaging could be used. Each instrument or voice has a space to it. I forget which song I was listening to (didn’t add it to my notes. Yes I took notes!) but there was a drummer playing the bell part of his ride cymbal. I could literally imagine myself behind my kit and playing the cymbal, it was that real. But, if I had reached out my hand, the bell sound was too far away for it to be an actual real time sound of me playing.

The Yggdrasil+ GS2 was certainly an upgrade. It’s not worlds apart from the Bifrost 2/64 or the MMB2. In my notes I have that there’s just more information and it’s spaced out differently. More meat on the bone, with less BBQ sauce that the Bifrost. I guess I meant the Bifrost seems thicker? I don’t remember. Another note I had was that I think the Yggy really shines with hi-res music. Not that it sounds bad with 16bit/44.1KHz (from CD’s or Qobuz) but it’s technical prowess is displayed more with hi-res.

If I spent more money on another high end DAC would I see improvement? I honestly don’t care. This DAC is just plain making me happy and I’m not looking for anything else for the next 10 years. Although a new analog card could be in the mix. I want to end my rant by thanking Schiit for doing what they do. And thanks for the Last Call deal which allowed me to get a Yggy.

Dec 19, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #133,258 of 150,483
My thoughts on the Yggdrasil+ GS 2 after 5 days (about 25 hours listening time). Disclaimers: Yggy has been on since 11AM Thursday. Previous DAC was the Bifrost 2, upgraded to the 2/64 card. That is in my work headphone setup now. I think for the price/value factor, the Bifrost 2/64 is the best buy of all the Schiit products I have purchased, but the Yggy is not going anywhere…ever. I can no longer hear anything over 17KHz. I’m 54 years old, and have played the drums since I was 6, so my hearing is slightly diminished.

After plugging in the Yggy and leaving it on for 4 hours, I started listing to music on Qobuz on my 2 channel and I have listened to CD’s as well. First thing I noticed was the bass. It was and still is simply sublime. It’s clear even down low, precise and impactful. The Bifrost’s bass seems muddy in comparison. I’m not saying the bass on the Bifrost is muddy, just compared to the Yggy it doesn’t dig as deep and is not as clean as the Yggy. The highs on the Yggy are different, but still not sure how in comparison to the Bifrost.

Yggy+ GS2 just has an overall pleasing analog, very realistic sound. Sounds are so real it’s shocking at times. It’s a immersive, personal experience. You feel like part of the music…inside it, if that makes sense. I don’t think the soundstage is any deeper or wide than the Bifrost, it’s just the Yggy has more air and space around everything, it makes it seem that way. I think the word imaging could be used. Each instrument or voice has a space to it. I forget which song I was listening to (didn’t add it to my notes. Yes I took notes!) but there was a drummer playing the bell part of his ride cymbal. I could literally imagine myself behind my kit and playing the cymbal, it was that real. But, if I had reached out my hand, the bell sound was too far away for it to be an actual real time sound of me playing.

The Yggdrasil+ GS2 was certainly an upgrade. It’s not worlds apart from the Bifrost 2/64 or the MMB2. In my notes I have that there’s just more information and it’s spaced out differently. More meat on the bone, with less BBQ sauce that the Bifrost. I guess I meant the Bifrost seems thicker? I don’t remember. Another note I had was that I think the Yggy really shines with hi-res music. Not that it sounds bad with 16bit/44.1KHz (from CD’s or Qobuz) but it’s technical prowess is displayed more with hi-res.

If I spent more money on another high end DAC would I see improvement? I honestly don’t care. This DAC is just plain making me happy and I’m not looking for anything else for the next 10 years. Although a new analog card could be in the mix. I want to end my rant by thanking Schiit for doing what they do. And thanks for the Last Call deal which allowed me to get a Yggy.
See how tough it is to write audio-gear reviews, Eric? All those pesky adjectives to deal with. Happy you're liking the sound! :)

This will date me, but when I sent my Gungnir D/S back to the mothership for its MB upgrade, it was like enabling the "great bass" switch. Night and day difference.

Dec 19, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #133,259 of 150,483
See how tough it is to write audio-gear reviews, Eric? All those pesky adjectives to deal with
I kept using the same adjectives! LOL My written command of the English language is not even close as some others on this forum, like @ArmchairPhilosopher

EDIT to add: How do you describe something that is smothered in Awesome Sauce!?

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #133,260 of 150,483

Users who are viewing this thread

Back