Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 17, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #133,141 of 150,454
It starting to sound a lot more like an extreme case situation and probably not applicable to most.

** Hmmm. So Dave makes a Dave-o-saurus 70lb shunt line filter? Moar heavy is always Moar better, right? 🤔

Dec 17, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #133,142 of 150,454
It was the 0-60 mph in 3.8 secs.

A191501_web_960.jpg
I always thought there was a breast-related joke somewhere, when seeing that vehicle on the road, haha!

Dec 17, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #133,143 of 150,454
I've been out of the TT game for years (seriously, mine hasn't even been plugged in for two years and I didn't use it for two years before that). If the market has changed significantly, then ignore me. That said, I had good luck trawling ebay for a used technics. The SL-1200, before it was resurrected, was used by DJs for years, so there are tons of them out there and a pretty good parts market to maintain them. BUT, and here's the big but, there are a whole lot of SL-series turntables that do not have the "1200" after the SL, and a lot of them share parts. For instance, I have an SL-D3 which is like the hi-fi version of an SL-1200 with auto-cueing and auto stop(meaning I walk up, hit play, and do not have to interact with the player until it's time to switch sides). I got this around a decade ago for about $100, oiled the motor/platter, added some mass to the plastic plinth for better damping, made my own cork mat, and called it a day. It even already had a decent cart on it (and AT LP something or other) which I just upgraded the stylus from whatever orange meant to whatever purple meant. There's an SL-D2 like mine without auto cueing, there's SL-1100-1600 (or more, I don't remember how many models there were exactly). The world is your oyster. If there's a particular feature you want, there's probably an SL table that either already has it or can be modded to have it. Except for belt drive.
Thank you; much appreciated! I do like the idea of automatics, coming from that LP60. Maybe I need a manual / belt drive machine to increase the "interaction and appreciation" that comes with such a device...
As suggested, I think I need to shop used or go in at the entry level, so I can properly allocate funds to my loudspeaker upgrade first.

Dec 17, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #133,144 of 150,454
It starting to sound a lot more like an extreme case situation and probably not applicable to most.
That's my opinion. Also my opinion is that if a user detects something wrong, find a solution to fix it. But don't think your system needs "fixed" just because some shill is selling good-tasting snake oil or some Internet user calls it the best thing since smoked gouda. Many add-on products in this industry are solutions in search of a problem, and none of them are being given away.

Dec 17, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #133,145 of 150,454
Requesting feedback for an optimal configuration solution. I am currently using a PI2AES/RoPieee via coax to a Bifrost for streaming. I would like to know if my results would be any better or worse if I remove the PI2AES hat and instead connect the Pi directly to an Urd via USB (as a DDC) and then connect the Urd to the Bifrost via coax. Additionally, I would like to know if upgrading the Bifrost and connecting the Urd via AES would yield better results.

Dec 17, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #133,146 of 150,454
Thank you; much appreciated! I do like the idea of automatics, coming from that LP60. Maybe I need a manual / belt drive machine to increase the "interaction and appreciation" that comes with such a device...
As suggested, I think I need to shop used or go in at the entry level, so I can properly allocate funds to my loudspeaker upgrade first.

If you want a great bang for the buck TT try a Rega P1 and perform the 27mm anti skate mod and install a Nagaoka MP110 cartridge.
Along with a Schiit Mani it’s a fantastic sounding setup for not a lot of money.
You can find videos of the mod on YouTube.

Second to this maybe try a Technics SL1500 the old one and replace the arm board and fit a Rega RB220 arm along with the Mp 110.

Last maybe a SL1200GR with the KAB arm damper running a modded Denon 103r cartridge.

This is a great thread and may I wish everyone long and enjoyable listening sessions over the holidays.

Attachments

• IMG_1423.jpeg
    IMG_1423.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1426.jpeg
    IMG_1426.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Dec 17, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #133,147 of 150,454
Was blessed by Fedex, and GS2 arrived on Saturday with original ETA being Tuesday. Test rack fit was a little too tight for comfort with the MJ3, even though the AC Infinity fan keeps the MJ3 quite cool. Will have to drop it down a bit, but I'm excited to give it a warmup and listen!
IMG_1389.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #133,148 of 150,454
Requesting feedback for an optimal configuration solution. I am currently using a PI2AES/RoPieee via coax to a Bifrost for streaming. I would like to know if my results would be any better or worse if I remove the PI2AES hat and instead connect the Pi directly to an Urd via USB (as a DDC) and then connect the Urd to the Bifrost via coax. Additionally, I would like to know if upgrading the Bifrost and connecting the Urd via AES would yield better results.
What version pi? And what is the typical bitrate/bit depth of your source files?

You could also try AES connection from pi hat to Bifrost2. Use pro-grade digital AES/EBU 110 ohm xlr here with Belden 1800F / canare DA series / Grimm TPR / Mogami etc. nothing $$$ needed here

what aspects of the sound are you looking to improve?

Are you definitely adding an Urd?

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #133,149 of 150,454
I'm always looking for bang for the buck, and the AT-LP7 seemed to fit the bill! I also knew I wanted to go belt drive so that narrowed things down a bit as well. And I tend to prefer S and J shaped tonearms over straight ones; partly for aesthetic reasons but partly because I find them a bit easier to cue up. Another box it ticked was a detachable head shell, so I could experiment with different carts without having to realign. It sure didn't hurt that amazon has a zero percent payment plan for it.

It's been a reliable 'table but I've had to fight a bit to get certain carts to sound good on it. Maybe the tonearm effective mass is just in a weird zone. Couldn't get my grado to track well on it.

I have a Nagaoka on it now and while it still may be breaking in, it (like other carts I've tried) is a little lacking in bass. Now that I have the Lokius it's not as much of an issue. That eq sounds great! But I do wonder if there's something about the tonearm or some other aspect of the 'table's design that makes it hard to get the most bass out of certain carts. Pretty much all of the other aspects of the sound I'm getting from this 'table are wonderful, though; the staging, the tracking (with the right cart), the detailed mids, etc. And if you like MC carts the Hana EL actually plays pretty nice with the AT-LP7.

I myself am half tempted to get that Teac 'table that has balanced outs to feed the Skoll's balanced ins. But then if I wanted to run an MC cart I couldn't use my step-up transformer (SUT). And I'm not aware of any SUTs that are balanced, though they may exist.

If it helps, Pro-Ject appears to make a balanced SUT —> https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/mc-step-up-box-ds3-b/. Whether it’s available in the US is another matter entirely.

Dec 17, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #133,150 of 150,454
That's my opinion. Also my opinion is that if a user detects something wrong, find a solution to fix it. But don't think your system needs "fixed" just because some shill is selling good-tasting snake oil or some Internet user calls it the best thing since smoked gouda. Many add-on products in this industry are solutions in search of a problem, and none of them are being given away.
I suspect that some of the DC, squarish waves and such are caused by the neighboring poor quality solar panel inverters. Also over voltage.

Dec 17, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #133,151 of 150,454
What version pi? And what is the typical bitrate/bit depth of your source files?

You could also try AES connection from pi hat to Bifrost2. Use pro-grade digital AES/EBU 110 ohm xlr here with Belden 1800F / canare D series / Grimm TPR / Mogami etc. nothing $$$ needed here

what aspects of the sound are you looking to improve?

Are you definitely adding an Urd?
-Pi4b, typical rips are CD quality ripped many years ago using EAC.
-I'll need to look into this suggestion, I was under the impression that since my Bifrost only has a coax input, I couldn't connect 3pin XLR from PI2AES to coax on the Bifrost.
-I've been using a Bluesound Node2i as a streamer for the past couple years, compared to the PI2AES, the Bluesound sounds congested so I'm trying to make the PI2AES as-good-as-possible (to prevent upgraditis). The PI2AES currently is powered via an iFi Elite and has the 7" screen attached.
-I've not purchased the Urd yet... but my finger is itchy :) and if I can eliminate the hat, connect the Pi4 directly to the Urd and see an improvement... it will push me over the proverbial edge.

Dec 17, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #133,152 of 150,454
I suspect that some of the DC, squarish waves and such are caused by the neighboring poor quality solar panel inverters. Also over voltage.
Perhaps in some cases, but the inverters on my solar array produce nice smooth and stable sine waves. :) The biggest issues I have are RF noise riding on the "hot" lines coming from the neighborhood (source unknown) and DC offset caused by light dimmers in my house mostly. The filter I built solves both problems.

Dec 17, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #133,153 of 150,454
-Pi4b, typical rips are CD quality ripped many years ago using EAC.
-I'll need to look into this suggestion, I was under the impression that since my Bifrost only has a coax input, I couldn't connect 3pin XLR from PI2AES to coax on the Bifrost.
-I've been using a Bluesound Node2i as a streamer for the past couple years, compared to the PI2AES, the Bluesound sounds congested so I'm trying to make the PI2AES as-good-as-possible (to prevent upgraditis). The PI2AES currently is powered via an iFi Elite and has the 7" screen attached.
-I've not purchased the Urd yet... but my finger is itchy :) and if I can eliminate the hat, connect the Pi4 directly to the Urd and see an improvement... it will push me over the proverbial edge.

Sorry, gave bad info, BF2 only has USB, coaxial & toslink inputs. Got mixed up with modius (AES input) and Urd (AES out) i/o panel

Have you tried pi4 directly to bifrost2? BF2 Unison has the electromagnetic isolation.

Or sell some/all of your 5 and 6 series Senns, move up to HD800 series

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #133,154 of 150,454
Dec 17, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #133,155 of 150,454
Curious. Do you have an non-Unison OG Bifrost or a Bifrost 2? If Bifrost 2, have you tried just going from Pi 4 via USB right into Unison on BF2. Pi 4 has an isolated USB circuit and no longer shares the Ethernet power so noise is greatly reduced over Pi 3, if that's a concern. That's how I run mine and I find it sounds fabulous - even as compared to coax from Allo DigiOne.

Or you could get a Yggy GS2 and use AES in from your Pi2AES.

Or wait on the new Schiit DDC (Urd without CD). It hasn't been announced but we all know it's gotta be coming. Right, Jason?😏

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back