Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 1, 2023 at 1:15 AM Post #131,701 of 150,706
Dec 1, 2023 at 1:19 AM Post #131,702 of 150,706
I have a question.
No, I think it's more of an observation…
Either way, it has the potential to start a class war, so please try to keep your responses somewhat civilized, mkay? Not that I will, or anything… ;p

I don't fly much. And the few times that I do, it's usually intercontinental. So maybe it's different on domestic flights.

So, whenever I'm on one of those long haul flights, I always try to get seats all the way in the back. (My personal favorite is the last outer row in a 747. Only two seats abreast, nice and quiet-ish, little to no foot traffic, close proximity to the source of those stale pretzels, no one's kicking your seat back or complaining about your reclining the entire flight, and by far the most shoulder space in economy.) That means that when I debark one of those long haul flights, I have to walk along nearly the entire length of both the economy and business class cabins, and I'm also able to take a peak into 1st.
And whenever I do, I always see the same thing: A somewhat messy economy class cabin, a mostly neat 1st class one, and an absolute pigsty of a business class.

So, based on that, I'd rather remain the poor-adjacent church mouse that I am or get stinkin' rich somehow. Because if the way the average intercontinental passenger leaves behind their personal space of the previous 12 hours is any indication, the upper 10% must be the worst place you could find yourself in, just crawling with egocentric pigs!

How's that for some armchair philosophizing!
Am I wrong, though?
Have at it!
(…while I slowly back away from the dumpster fire that I have just lit…) 😁
I think you have a fair point. I have seen the mess left behind first hand as well.
Generally speaking for it's been lots of Eco/Coach trips from Australia to Philippines for business (outsourcing company, cheap flights), but earning enough points that could be boosted by CC transactions to support a couple of long haul trips in Business Class. Many, many flights I'd troop through business as well, and see what you mention.

I don't however like flying in the back, most frequently I try and aim for overwing or as far forward in the cabin as I can get. Eye mask and earplugs, or ANC headphones if I want to watch something.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #131,705 of 150,706
I like silver. I'll pay more for silver.

"Why all the black"? I guess it's for the reasons JS stated, black is cheaper.

I purchased a nice Sansui stack in black in the early 1980's. At the time, it looked "new". Of course, being in my '20's at the time, I was an idiot.

I bought my first black Schiitboxes because that's all that was available at the time I needed (wanted) them. In the case of Freya-N, black is all that it was ever available in. I still prefer silver, but I've come to really appreciate the contrasting appearance of a black amp with silver switches and knobs sitting atop a silver DAC. Fortunately for me they don't have to match, otherwise I'd have a problem with my dear MagPi.

53368070336_c01aeea229_h.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #131,708 of 150,706
1701435345864.png

+

1701435419218.png

= Affordable yumminess. Just ask Elvis. :D

Dec 1, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #131,710 of 150,706
I think you have a fair point. I have seen the mess left behind first hand as well.
Generally speaking for it's been lots of Eco/Coach trips from Australia to Philippines for business (outsourcing company, cheap flights), but earning enough points that could be boosted by CC transactions to support a couple of long haul trips in Business Class. Many, many flights I'd troop through business as well, and see what you mention.

I don't however like flying in the back, most frequently I try and aim for overwing or as far forward in the cabin as I can get. Eye mask and earplugs, or ANC headphones if I want to watch something.
In my later days of traveling, when corporate money was a bit tight, I would buy upgradable coach tickets and then use miles to upgrade to business class. These were ATL-FRA or STR flights usually on Boeing 767s. The overall trip cost is quite a bit lower. The Nashville - ATL connecting flights were then in first class (usually Boeing 737s). It's nice being among the first off of those small planes.

ps. I prefer prosecco to champagne, and my favorite red in the world is Spanish Rioja. +1 to the steak "al sangue."
Cheers!

Dec 1, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #131,711 of 150,706
Seeking some advice please. Looking to get a preamp for second setup. Want to run in active mode but be as neutral and transparent as possible. Wondering what difference I might experience in sound between a Saga in JFET. Saga+ with stock tube and Saga + with Lisst. Thanks all.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #131,712 of 150,706
I bought my first black Schiitboxes because that's all that was available at the time I needed (wanted) them. In the case of Freya-N, black is all that it was ever available in. I still prefer silver, but I've come to really appreciate the contrasting appearance of a black amp with silver switches and knobs sitting atop a silver DAC. Fortunately for me they don't have to match, otherwise I'd have a problem with my dear MagPi.

53368070336_c01aeea229_h.jpg
Black sounds great, Silver is brighter.

Dec 1, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #131,713 of 150,706
Black sounds great, Silver is brighter.

Exactly. I needed the brighter silver BF1 (BIFOGM?) to offset the darker black Asgard 2. :p

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #131,714 of 150,706
Note to the honorable Philosopher: Please insert warnings before the picture, not after. I am now psychologically damaged as I simply can't unsee this. :scream:

All I can do now is stare at the Holland-made Amperex 7316's in my FV in hopes the visual memory will be overwritten in short order. 🤣

Amperex 7316.jpg

Has Jason ever mentioned what the heater current capability of Folkvangr is? Those 7316 draw quite a bit more than your normal 12AU7 equivalent. Or so I've read, anyway…

Dec 1, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #131,715 of 150,706
Has Jason ever mentioned what the heater current capability of Folkvangr is? Those 7316 draw quite a bit more than your normal 12AU7 equivalent. Or so I've read, anyway…
I don't recall Jason ever stating what the max current capability is, but the 7316 is described as a "computer grade" 12AU7. Same specs as a regular 12AU7, so 300mV of heater current when run at 6.3v. The stock 6N1P is double that, so even if the 7316 runs higher, I should have plausible deniability if smoke signals erupt. 🤣

The tonality and deep reaches into low level harmonics are just to die for with this tube. Like many other European manufactured Amperex though it's on the warm side (perhaps too much so) and the bass doesn't hit as hard as I'd like. Not the best choice for rock or metal, but for vocals and acoustic pieces it's truly a joy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back