Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 30, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #131,641 of 150,760
What are these things you refer to as stamps? :thinking:

Nov 30, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #131,642 of 150,760
I predict that you will have absolutely zero regrets. OG Aegir is a beautiful amplifier, just crazy good with the right loudspeakers.

I am also of the mindset that, if it was good enough for Jason to release it in 2018, it's more than good enough for me to own / use / enjoy today.
Will Aegir 2 be "better"? Maybe, but... unless you side-by-side them in a controlled environment, will you hear a difference?

YMMV, for sure here, but... I'm a big fan of Schiit OG products. <g>
I am anxious to receive them, they will be part of my first monoblock rig as well. Also my first Class A(ish) speaker rig. I love my Lyr+ for headphones, so I'm confident these will be right up my street as well.

Nov 30, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #131,643 of 150,760
When I went to the Gungnir MB and could hear the difference between MP3 and 16/44.1 Redbook, my life was changed forever. No more of that crap 256kb AAC Apple music anymore. All that money wasted, but hey, Happy Listening! :)
The difference between lossy mp3 and lossless CD quality is one of the most fundamentally transformative HiFi experiences I've yet had on this journey in sound. It's on par with experiencing the very best sounding vinyl I've got.

I simply cannot go back to lossy streaming except at work on a large Bluetooth speaker. I don't even have highly resolving speakers at home and the difference is still startling.

Nov 30, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #131,645 of 150,760
. . .

And with all the goodness, there’s a side I’m not fond of. I love ZZ Ward, and her debut album is one of my favourites. But the recording and mastering wasn't the best, and with headphones, I don’t like the album much with GS2. It’s harsh and grating and just not enjoyable. Guess I'm glad I have other DACs that don't exhibit that side of less-than-stellar recordings.

She ain't goin’ back. Nope. Those of you who have Yggdrasil understand, and now I do, too.

With the A1/GS boards, they need quite a bit of time to come into their own. Yes they're used boards, but may not have been used for a while. I seriously wondered if my Yggdrasil Analog 1 was broken for the first couple days when I hooked it up eight (!) years ago. My Yggdrasil has been part of a combined speaker / headphone system in the living room the whole time. At the time my wife and I were watching the TV show Friends and voices were harsh, grating, and had very pronounced sibilants. That went away within the first week or so.

Keep your new toy on all the time, play music through it when you're not using it, and revisit that recording in a week or two at the same volume and see if the initial impression holds.

Nov 30, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #131,647 of 150,760
I disagree. Portugal instead - Verde in the Minho region, reds in the Douro and Alentejo. Port before and after dinner, of course!
During my visits to Lisbon and Funchal in Madeira, I have to say I have enjoyed both Douro and Alentejo !! Some cracking wines !

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #131,648 of 150,760
Ok, I concede that I don't know how many of you are Darth Vader. Also, for those of you that are, go nuts on the black, it's totally on brand.
Two men say they're Jesus Darth Vader. One of them must be wrong.
There's a protest Star Wars singer. He's singing a protest Star Wars song...

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #131,649 of 150,760
Our winter dining motto:

DRINK LIKE A VEGAN
vegan-wine.jpg

EAT LIKE A CARNIVORE
carnivore-eats.jpg

🤣

Nov 30, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #131,650 of 150,760
IMG_5184.jpeg

What’s that?
Oh, just a pair of JAN-5670W GlowyBois™️ in my Folkvangr for today’s listening pleasure in the office.
(@bcowen, avert your eyes, they are *gasp!* GE.)

Great choice. IIRC Mike Moffat's recommendation as one of his favorites. Last time I bought them, the price was extremely reasonable.

I haven't rotated this out of the FV in a long time. I like them better than my NOS Telefunkens, Mullards, and Matsuhita's.

I'm done chasing unobtanium tubes.

Nov 30, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #131,651 of 150,760
Two men say they're Jesus Darth Vader. One of them must be wrong.
There's a protest Star Wars singer. He's singing a protest Star Wars song...
"Imperial Disease"? :beerchug::sunglasses:

Nov 30, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #131,655 of 150,760
I suspect if I sold 1/2 of the tubes I currently have at the current market prices I could probably get an Yggy OG or a pair of Tyrs. :unamused:

** My greatest fear is that after I pass my wife will sell my vacuum tube and camera lens collection for what I told her I paid for them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back