Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 26, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #131,281 of 150,894
Mind you the price point is below what you were looking for, but both my brother (graduated 2023) and myself (2014) preferred the DR770/880/990 series - he went open back 990, I went closed back 770. I am sure the T1/T5 alternative would be the "upgrade", and both of us travel for work sticking with Sony's WH-1000XM4.
My DT770 are workhouses. Never quite satisfied with them for music but good for other purposes (meetings, TV, etc).

Nov 26, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #131,285 of 150,894
In this thread? Not likely. But if you wait a day or three or ten, it will eventually get there again :beerchug:

Updated : Here's the latest topic Sine Wave. Reminds me, I probably should review it and update if needed

Schiit Sine v7 2022-10-10.png

I do like that alcohol makes it on there three times... 😃😃

Nov 26, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #131,286 of 150,894
Does anyone know what size the PCB mount coaxial connector on a modi multibit is? The one on the one I gave my dad broke, and he wired it to an off board connector, but it's dangly...
Some of the connectors have a screw to help hold them in place. Looking at the website the current Bifrost does but the current Modi Multibit doesn't.

I have had several loose connectors over the years from an over zealous Schiit assembler stripping the plastic. After a couple connect disconnect they get wobbly. A careful look through the salvaged screw department has yielded screws that can get sufficient grip on the stripped hole. If the coax has a screw that might solve it.

Now my self curiosity is going to cause me to get a mirror to check the back of my original Modi Multibit tucked out of sight in the RV to see if it has a screw.... :)

Nov 26, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #131,287 of 150,894
Some of the connectors have a screw to help hold them in place. Looking at the website the current Bifrost does but the current Modi Multibit doesn't.

I have had several loose connectors over the years from an over zealous Schiit assembler stripping the plastic. After a couple connect disconnect they get wobbly. A careful look through the salvaged screw department has yielded screws that can get sufficient grip on the stripped hole. If the coax has a screw that might solve it.

Now my self curiosity is going to cause me to get a mirror to check the back of my original Modi Multibit tucked out of sight in the RV to see if it has a screw.... :)
Nothing, just held on by solder. My dad already removed the old broken jack and replaced it with a giant chassis mount one soldered with 2" of wire out board, but I'd like to get the correct connector and clean it up if possible

I've had the worst of luck buying used schiit products from the classifieds. One modi multi but that needed to go back to schiit because it'd glitch out. One Asgard 3 with a noisy gain switch. And now this failure. Hope my magni piety lives a decent life.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #131,288 of 150,894
Nothing, just held on by solder. My dad already removed the old broken jack and replaced it with a giant chassis mount one soldered with 2" of wire out board, but I'd like to get the correct connector and clean it up if possible
Bummer. I've had similar things happen. Kudos to your dad though for forging ahead. :)

Nov 26, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #131,289 of 150,894
Nov 26, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #131,290 of 150,894
I would say lacking dynamics.
I definitely need to sell some items! I'll try the Magni Heresy for now. I really can't add any more gear. It may be a tubes thing. I do really like my HD6xx and my Darkvoice amp.

I'll setup the Aeon RT and let them run in on the Magni Heresy with my Gungnir as a start
All this talk of the Aeon made me have an extended session with Qobuz autoplay (Cohen, Dylan,etc), MM2 balanced via Drop Aeon closed.

I find them neutral and (again) surprisingly open. I think the balanced increases the soundstage and deep bass when it hits.

Nov 26, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #131,291 of 150,894
Just pulled the trigger on a Modi Multibit after many months of nervousa about it.

Traveling all next week, so should be here when I get back. Will slide into the main system for testing, and the Modi 3e will take over home office duty.

Part of me wishes I’d been quick enough to nab one of the closeout Bitfrosts over the holiday, but que sera!

Nov 26, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #131,293 of 150,894
Nov 26, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #131,295 of 150,894
A LPF before upsampling?!? The data is already Nyquist limited and in digital form... The upsampled needs no LPF to upsample the data. The LPF is on the analog stage after the DtoA reconstruction. Am I wrong?
It is Nyquist limited for the initial sampling (the ADC for example) so that the conversion to point samples doesn't create aliasing. However, conversion to point sample form creates images of the LPFed signal at integer multiples of the sampling rate, so any resampling from its point sampled form needs an LPF before resampling to get rid of the images. The first LPF that we applied in the initial ADC stage is ensure that these images formed by the point sampling don't overlap in frequency: it's this overlap in frequency space that causes aliasing.

More intuitively, a point sample form of the audio waveform over time looks like a bunch of spikes whose amplitude follows the contours of the audio signal. But a bunch of spikes is not the original audio signal! The LPF interpolates these spikes back into the original bandlimited signal.

Also consider the implications of your question: why do we need an LPF in the analog stage, but not in the digital stage? If we need an LPF in the analog stage, then there's high frequency energy we need to filter out before resampling in order to keep the signal contents below the Nyquist rate of the resampling rate.

You will find an LPF in every oversampling filter if you look at the datasheets. The megacomboburrito is a digital LPF, as is the zillion-tap Chord filter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back