Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 26, 2023 at 12:47 AM Post #131,266 of 150,753
Hel actually uses what is called a "shell knob," as in, it's a shell of stamped aluminum over an injection-molded plastic piece. We've been considering doing an "insert knob" for it--that is, a milled hunk of aluminum with a small plastic insert for fitting on the potentiometer shaft. Not sure if we'll do it, because the cost is quite a bit higher.

Fun fact: a Ragnarok 2 knob fits perfectly. The catch is that the volume indication will be offset from the correct indication.

We're also debating this. The second run is pretty much sold out in advance of our shipping any. How does everyone feel about continuing this one, even though I said it was limited? Is that a cheat? Or just a logical response to a popular product?
Logical response to a popular product, obviously. I’m enjoying the hell out of my loaner Mjolnir 3, but I’m pretty jazzed with my Lyrs, frankly!

Nov 26, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #131,267 of 150,753
How does your kid currently listen to music — speakers or headphones, and from what sources (phone, computer, home stereo, etc)?

The worst outcome is that they end up hardly using whatever you picked out. Nobody knows what their listening habits will become at school (and may change over time), and that's why I suggested aiming for versatility. The Focal Bathys looks interesting to me — works wired or wireless, different ANC levels (or off), and able to play lossless directly connected to USB (no need for a dongle).

They primarily use headphones from PC or laptop, more rarely from phone or with powered speakers (Audioengine A2+) from the PC. Your points are well taken and well worth considering in the shopping process. Thank you!

Nov 26, 2023 at 6:18 AM Post #131,269 of 150,753
Warning drunk posting after a 5 hour Schiit powered jam session. I'll preface this post by saying I see a lot of commentary on what people like or expect from Schiit. My next door neighbor for nearly a decade was Wes Phillips the Deputy Editor for Stereophile Magazine. He introduced my ears to realms I never knew existed. I'm the definition of champaign taste and a beer budget, which is exactly why I'm a Schiit head. (my wife probably has a few more reasons).. Make it in whatever color you want, I don't to buy it to to look at, I buy it to listen to. After six months I won't see the color but I'll still be blown away by the sound. Keep on dojng what you're doing. Thank you from a audiophile who isn't still hunting the next fix, I found the right Schiit for me.

Nov 26, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #131,270 of 150,753
Hel actually uses what is called a "shell knob," as in, it's a shell of stamped aluminum over an injection-molded plastic piece. We've been considering doing an "insert knob" for it--that is, a milled hunk of aluminum with a small plastic insert for fitting on the potentiometer shaft. Not sure if we'll do it, because the cost is quite a bit higher.

Fun fact: a Ragnarok 2 knob fits perfectly. The catch is that the volume indication will be offset from the correct indication.

We're also debating this. The second run is pretty much sold out in advance of our shipping any. How does everyone feel about continuing this one, even though I said it was limited? Is that a cheat? Or just a logical response to a popular product?
If it’s selling, then make hay while the sun is shining. If someone brought one of these thinking it was some sort of ‘collectible’ then shame on them.

Nov 26, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #131,271 of 150,753
Warning drunk posting after a 5 hour Schiit powered jam session. I'll preface this post by saying I see a lot of commentary on what people like or expect from Schiit. My next door neighbor for nearly a decade was Wes Phillips the Deputy Editor for Stereophile Magazine. He introduced my ears to realms I never knew existed. I'm the definition of champaign taste and a beer budget, which is exactly why I'm a Schiit head. (my wife probably has a few more reasons).. Make it in whatever color you want, I don't to buy it to to look at, I buy it to listen to. After six months I won't see the color but I'll still be blown away by the sound. Keep on dojng what you're doing. Thank you from a audiophile who isn't still hunting the next fix, I found the right Schiit for me.
Right on!

Nov 26, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #131,272 of 150,753
Ummm not in name... but you do know that the great Boeing engineering company was ruined by the MDC takeover/merger - hence the Max crisis
True. Bad deal for Boeing. I was living in the LA area when they purchased MDC. Had friends working at MDC, and it was truly a mess......

Nov 26, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #131,273 of 150,753
Yggy GS owners -- I've read a lot of opinions about the original GS, with some folks saying it was a sleeper "best Yggy" and others saying they preferred the A2 upgrade or other flavors. As someone who never owned an OG A1 but now owns an OG A2 and MIB, both of which I love, am I missing out by not having experienced the "OG OG" of the A1? Trying to decide whether to grab a GS2 while they're available.
I bought the original A1 Yggy, and had the A2 board fitted when it appeared. For me.... a big difference in all ways, More open. better bass, more believable sound stage etc. The original Yggy was fantastic. The A2 board provided the 'icing' !

believable​

Nov 26, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #131,274 of 150,753
I love your company because you can get good tube gear that isn't five-figures or a two-year wait ( Decware).
There's a ton of tube gear that isn't "5 figure / 2 year wait"... and it's top shelf stuff. I've been playing with tube gear for 2 decades. I remember the days of looking at the Decware stuff... and his mystical ruminations (not saying it's not good stuff). If you want some advice / ideas, shoot me a message, I'm happy to help spend your money. Stuff you've probably never heard of, but the "smart money" has...

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #131,276 of 150,753
Here is a question for all the headphone users. (I am not one of them.)

My kid is going off to college next fall and they are a music fan. They have close to perfect pitch and quite sensitive hearing. I would like to get them a set of headphones as a graduation gift from High School, with a budget in the $500-$750 range. Preferences would be:

- Over the ear required along with super comfortable for extended use.
- Will perform well even if just plugged in to a sound card output on a laptop or a USB dongle type DAC, since this will be for dorm and school library use where space is at a minimum and a headphone amp is impractical.
- They listen to a huge range of music. Everything from J-Pop to experimental electronic and classical, so they will need a good all around performing headphone that isn't just "really great for rock!" or "amazing on acoustic instruments."
- Open back is mildly preferred for situational awareness, but they are used to closed back at school so it isn't mandatory.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be super helpful as I start my research in this very complex space I know little about!

These are pretty much exactly the reasons my kid wants open back for what it is worth! Not the cyclist per se, but being aware of their surroundings. Plus they are forgetful and keeping things charged is a pain for them.

Thank you to all of you for your suggestions, lots of good things to investigate there!

Not too many plane trips to worry about really, the main use case is dorm room. Phone calls are a non issue. Do kids even use their phones as phones anymore? Mine sure doesn't. It's all discord and texts, discord and texts.

My mistake, showing my ignorance of headphones, I assumed all airpods were in ear. Worth looking into.

Thanks again everyone, I think I have enough suggestions to at least point me in some sort of direction (or six) to investigate and come up with a plan before graduation. :thumbsup:
Mind you the price point is below what you were looking for, but both my brother (graduated 2023) and myself (2014) preferred the DR770/880/990 series - he went open back 990, I went closed back 770. I am sure the T1/T5 alternative would be the "upgrade", and both of us travel for work sticking with Sony's WH-1000XM4.

Nov 26, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #131,278 of 150,753
Here is a question for all the headphone users. (I am not one of them.)

My kid is going off to college next fall and they are a music fan. They have close to perfect pitch and quite sensitive hearing. I would like to get them a set of headphones as a graduation gift from High School, with a budget in the $500-$750 range. Preferences would be:

- Over the ear required along with super comfortable for extended use.
- Will perform well even if just plugged in to a sound card output on a laptop or a USB dongle type DAC, since this will be for dorm and school library use where space is at a minimum and a headphone amp is impractical.
- They listen to a huge range of music. Everything from J-Pop to experimental electronic and classical, so they will need a good all around performing headphone that isn't just "really great for rock!" or "amazing on acoustic instruments."
- Open back is mildly preferred for situational awareness, but they are used to closed back at school so it isn't mandatory.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be super helpful as I start my research in this very complex space I know little about!
Have you asked them what they want? Perhaps there are wishes you are not aware of... :)

Nov 26, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #131,279 of 150,753
Yes the new silver is great. Particularly with its embossed logo. I am assuming that this is aluminium and from a new supplier, and am anticipating its wider rollout.

Andrew
Actually the same supplier--after a lot of arm-twisting.

It'll be a bit of a slow rollout. Modi+ doesn't even have it yet. Soon. As we get the new recurve chassis in place, expect to see it more places.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 26, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #131,280 of 150,753
Warning drunk posting after a 5 hour Schiit powered jam session. I'll preface this post by saying I see a lot of commentary on what people like or expect from Schiit. My next door neighbor for nearly a decade was Wes Phillips the Deputy Editor for Stereophile Magazine. .... Make it in whatever color you want, I don't to buy it to to look at, I buy it to listen to. After six months I won't see the color but I'll still be blown away by the sound. Keep on dojng what you're doing. ...
Oh, Wes Philips is one of the good ones! I was reading his reviews on a speaker amp I'm considering from years ago.

I agree about color but silver collects less dust. If someone could make a dust & finger-print repellent case, I'm there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back