Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 24, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #131,146 of 165,195
Great USB-A to USB-B cable for Yggy USB input.

Monoprice 3ft - pack of 3 $4.95 LINK. Monoprice is a brand suggested by Schiit support.

IMG_9021.jpeg

Nov 24, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #131,149 of 165,195
Here is a question for all the headphone users. (I am not one of them.)

My kid is going off to college next fall and they are a music fan. They have close to perfect pitch and quite sensitive hearing. I would like to get them a set of headphones as a graduation gift from High School, with a budget in the $500-$750 range. Preferences would be:

- Over the ear required along with super comfortable for extended use.
- Will perform well even if just plugged in to a sound card output on a laptop or a USB dongle type DAC, since this will be for dorm and school library use where space is at a minimum and a headphone amp is impractical.
- They listen to a huge range of music. Everything from J-Pop to experimental electronic and classical, so they will need a good all around performing headphone that isn't just "really great for rock!" or "amazing on acoustic instruments."
- Open back is mildly preferred for situational awareness, but they are used to closed back at school so it isn't mandatory.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be super helpful as I start my research in this very complex space I know little about!

Check out the ETA Mini C.

https://etaheadphones.com/products/mini-closed

Nov 25, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #131,151 of 165,195

My kid is going off to college next fall and they are a music fan. They have close to perfect pitch and quite sensitive hearing. I would like to get them a set of headphones as a graduation gift from High School, with a budget in the $500-$750 range. Preferences would be:

- Will perform well even if just plugged in to a sound card output on a laptop or a USB dongle type DAC, since this will be for dorm and school library use where space is at a minimum and a headphone amp is impractical.
- They listen to a huge range of music. Everything from J-Pop to experimental electronic and classical, so they will need a good all around performing headphone that isn't just "really great for rock!" or "amazing on acoustic instruments."
- Open back is mildly preferred for situational awareness, but they are used to closed back at school so it isn't mandatory.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be super helpful as I start my research in this very complex space I know little about!
For student life, a wireless headphone is way more versatile. Are they an audiophile who would appreciate a $500-$750 headphone for serious sit-down listening only while tethered to their computer (and can't get up and move around the room or take a phone call on it)? As for closed back and ANC, they'll thank you whenever they go on a plane trip.

Nov 25, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #131,152 of 165,195
The Wayback Machine is handy... I can go back and read about how awesome my new to me DAC will be! If it was all that and a bag of chips then, it doesn't mean it sucks now. Don't hate the playa... hate the nervosa game.

"Smart money... Smart Money... Smart Money..."

https://web.archive.org/web/20170727053333/http://www.schiit.com/products/yggdrasil
Exactly! Besides, Jason's designs are years-old ideas he wrestled with and dominated by the time they're released as new products. NO ONE really gets a new Schiit product. Only Jason truly experiences new Schiitness!🤪

Nervosa players are the true hat-wearing clowns of the Schiit game, not the closeout princes.🥴

Nov 25, 2023 at 12:18 AM Post #131,153 of 165,195
I second that emotion. My RT's are open, but that's a personal preference.
I have both Aeon X variants and weirdly, the Closed sound more open to me!

Nov 25, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #131,154 of 165,195
They do not like anything stuck in their ears, so any IEM or earbuds are a non-starter. Your point about open back in public is 100% valid, but they listen at pretty low volume and want to be able to hear what is happening around them so ANC isn't something they want. Perhaps closed back but without ANC is the way to go.
Both Bathys and AirPod Max are over-ear designs, not IEMS. And you can turn the ANC off with a touch of a button. It's simply an option if you want it. You might want to hear what's going on around you until you get the only seat left in the library and someone is clearing their throat next to you, and then the ANC is your best friend. I have the AirPod Max and it's superb for a wide variety of music. I've read that the Bathys is even better, but have no experience.

Nov 25, 2023 at 12:43 AM Post #131,155 of 165,195
Beyerdynamic T1 fits

Nov 25, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #131,156 of 165,195
I've read that the Bathys is even better, but have no experience.
For a long time I was using (fancy) IEMs for long flights, but they do get uncomfortable eventually, so I got Bathys just before a long trip I did in October, and I'm pretty happy with them, especially since they are pretty versatile, from Bluetooth from my phone or laptop (handy for video calls too) to analog from my SP1000M DAP that carries a good travel selection of lossless tracks. Long battery life too. No, not at the same level as my ZMFs from the same DAP -- less bass definition, somewhat etched treble -- or even as the Eta Mini C, but plenty capable for on-the-go use.

Nov 25, 2023 at 5:53 AM Post #131,157 of 165,195
Great USB-A to USB-B cable for Yggy USB input.

Monoprice 3ft - pack of 3 $4.95 LINK. Monoprice is a brand suggested by Schiit support.

IMG_9021.jpeg

Sigh. Then there's the tax for just living in Canada (price is in Canadian Pesos. That's $10.34 US dollars):

1700909452522.png

Nov 25, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #131,158 of 165,195
Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 6:34 AM Post #131,159 of 165,195
Question for all y'alls: In about 3 weeks I'll have a Gumby en route to me. Of course I've been reading all 420+ pages of the forum posts on it because this is what obsessives do 🤪. It will have the gen-2 USB interface. I will be sending it into Schiit sometime next year for the Unison USB upgrade. In the meantime, would there be any benefit in terms of signal/audio quality to get one of these (I think the "digital turntable" in the graphic is meant to be a streamer. Lots of weirdness happens with machine-based translation)? They are available in the Canadian Amazon store for CDN$85: https://www.amazon.ca/PO100-Convert...mzn1.fos.71722c10-739d-471b-befb-3e4b9bf7d0d6

If this is the route to go temporarily, is there any benefit to using either the COAX or Optical outputs into the Gumby?

1700911579959.png

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #131,160 of 165,195
Question for all y'alls: In about 3 weeks I'll have a Gumby en route to me. Of course I've been reading all 420+ pages of the forum posts on it because this is what obsessives do 🤪. It will have the gen-2 USB interface. I will be sending it into Schiit sometime next year for the Unison USB upgrade. In the meantime, would there be any benefit in terms of signal/audio quality to get one of these (I think the "digital turntable" in the graphic is meant to be a streamer. Lots of weirdness happens with machine-based translation)? They are available in the Canadian Amazon store for CDN$85: https://www.amazon.ca/PO100-Converters-Interface-Digital-Digital-Converter/dp/B0BLYVZCV5?ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.71722c10-739d-471b-befb-3e4b9bf7d0d6

If this is the route to go temporarily, is there any benefit to using either the COAX or Optical outputs into the Gumby?

1700911579959.png
Digital to Digital Converter (DDC) <-- I think this is what you're getting at.

For a Gen 2 USB interface, in short, YES, you will be better served by using the coax or BNC input on the Gungnir from a DDC.

The Schiit Eitr existed for this exact reason, and does a nice job at taking a USB audio signal source (say from your computer) and converting it via a Gen 5 USB input to a coax output that can then be fed into the Gungnir coax (or BNC using an adapter) with a 75 Ohm digital cable (NOTE - this differs from a 50 Ohm regular RCA cable and the correct cable should be used) - photo attached of the Eitr I'm using to feed my old A1 Gumby :)

Now the real question is do you need a DDC? ... This depends on how long you plan to wait to send it back to Schiit for the USB upgrade
  • If you plan to send it in for the upgrade ASAP, then no, you'd be better served by holding onto your Canadian Pesos and put them towards something else
  • If however you plan on waiting months, then it could be worth getting a DDC to bypass the older Gen 2 USB input in favor of the coax or BNC input as they will be a cleaner audio experience. But do remember to get the proper 75 Ohm digital cable to go from the DDC to the Gungnir.

Personally I've been very happy with the Eitr, but will eventually upgrade to Unison USB on my Gumby. Doing so will also trigger the 2-year warranty extension, so even if I don't use the USB input there is still reason to do the upgrade.

And finally, congratulations on the new-to-you Gungnir!!

Attachments

• schiit-eitr.jpg
    schiit-eitr.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back