Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 23, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #131,026 of 153,102
We all just assume you are a next level genius and could figure out where to put one, if the mood struck...😁
Time Lord technology. Given @Jason Stoddard accurate product launch predictions, he must be a Time Lord, right?

Nov 23, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #131,028 of 153,102
I owned an MCD PRO back in the 1990s. It was quirky and took a while to switch tracks, but actually very pleasant sounding.
yes quirky is a good description !! My fave 1980's Cd player was the Metal bodied - ( like a tank !! ) Philips CD104B - a 14 bit 4 x oversampler - a really engaging sound for its era and lacked the harshness of the early Japanese machines -

Nov 23, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #131,030 of 153,102
Yeah, I Googled that and discovered that after my post. The backstory and the vibe of the song are a bit of dichotomy, that's for sure. Still a fun song -- even for those not addicted to heroin, I guess.

If we removed all the rock songs referencing drugs from our playlists, many favourites would be absent...this is a fact I have reconciled with my lifetime non-drug use.

Never meet your heroes either.
Brings to mind the late, great Bill Hicks.

“The Beatles were so high, they let Ringo sing a few tunes.” Hahahaha

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #131,032 of 153,102
I had to get one of the BF1s that were on closeout, Got the last one too. Looking forward to seeing how it sounds compared to my MMB/Eitr stack with the VH2.

Also Schiit had a shipping label with tracking number created within 20 minutes and out the door an hour after my order. That's customer service.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #131,033 of 153,102
Also most early 80's Cd players used analogue filters after the dac stage to knock the digital audio nasties into touch -- the early Philips based 14 bit machines were probably the best at this technique , in fact my Bifrost multibit reminds me of the Meridian MCD Pro I once owned - ( an uprated Philips CD100 ) - in many ways , except bass !!

All DACs have an analog filter (LPF) as the last stage in the reconstruction process. The point is that LPF steepness changes with the sampling rate.

Nov 23, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #131,034 of 153,102
yes quirky is a good description !! My fave 1980's Cd player was the Metal bodied - ( like a tank !! ) Philips CD104B - a 14 bit 4 x oversampler - a really engaging sound for its era and lacked the harshness of the early Japanese machines -
That was my first CD player in 1984. It had a fixed RCA cable.

Nov 23, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #131,035 of 153,102
Thanks @JohnnyCanuck this year I built carving boards and such for friends and family. Nothing special, but a few items may grace a table or two.😉 My way of being thankful for those around me. IMG_6964.jpegIMG_6948.jpegIMG_6945.jpegIMG_6941.jpegIMG_6921.jpeg
Those are beautiful! And how’s the knee coming along?

Nov 23, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #131,036 of 153,102
Those are beautiful! And how’s the knee coming along?
Slowly lol, physical therapy is working and chances are surgery is not required. Thanks for asking.😜

Nov 23, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #131,037 of 153,102
Of course they do, but far steeper at native sampling, especially 44.1kHz. Far gentler analog filtering for upsampled DACs.
Most DACs use a 10-th order or higher filter. It doesn't matter where the up sampling occurs - before the DAC or in it - to avoid employing a filter operating close to Nyquist, which I assume is what you are talking about, and which was the main source for the harsh "digital glare" sound of some early DACs.. While this is largely not a problem these days since advances in digital filters, using an external up-sampler to run a NOS DAC is only a benefit if it is much higher quality upsampler than the function inside the DAC.

Call me biased if you like, but I have never heard a filter that sounds better than the "megacomboburrito" of the better Schiit MB DACs. And I have never owned a NOS DAC that I liked well enough to keep more than a few months no matter how the signal was processed upstream of it. YMMV - that's why there are choices!

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #131,039 of 153,102
Most DACs use a 10-th order or higher filter. It doesn't matter where the up sampling occurs - before the DAC or in it - to avoid employing a filter operating close to Nyquist, which I assume is what you are talking about, and which was the main source for the harsh "digital glare" sound of some early DACs.. While this is largely not a problem these days since advances in digital filters, using an external up-sampler to run a NOS DAC is only a benefit if it is much higher quality upsampler than the function inside the DAC.

Call me biased if you like, but I have never heard a filter that sounds better than the "megacomboburrito" of the better Schiit MB DACs. And I have never owned a NOS DAC that I liked well enough to keep more than a few months no matter how the signal was processed upstream of it. YMMV - that's way there are choices!

I could not agree more.

Nov 23, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #131,040 of 153,102
I had to get one of the BF1s that were on closeout, Got the last one too. Looking forward to seeing how it sounds compared to my MMB/Eitr stack with the VH2.

Also Schiit had a shipping label with tracking number created within 20 minutes and out the door an hour after my order. That's customer service.
I was staring at it for a bit, but again being in Canada makes the deal a bit less appealing unfortunately (customs fee + higher shipping cost).

Otherwise I'd imagine it's good alternative to MMB1 + Eitr as you said.

All those 7 units got instantly sold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back