Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 15, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #130,516 of 150,657
111523mcjagger.jpg

Has no one ever done this before?

Nov 15, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #130,517 of 150,657
Decisions, decisions. Is it me or does Jason's latest announcement "Two new things with stories" on YouTube have you questioning where you want to take your Schiit stack next on the never-ending upgrade path all us audio gear fans are addicted to? I was thinking of upgrading my second system pictured below with the Lyr+ and Bifrost2 to the full-sized Freya+ like I had set up in my old place, I miss the Freya+ I used to have in my "other, other setup" (the silver Schiit stack).

However... They just came out with Kara, so will there be a Kara+ replacing Freya+? In the video launch for Skoll, which I bought and LOVE, Jason also teased a new Aegir2 with more power - so should I hold off on upgrading my current Aegir to Tyr? Now Yggdrasil MIB is added - an easy choice over Bifrost2. I really like how Schiit is always innovating and providing new options. Jason even teased a new tube phono preamp as they launched Skoll!

The question is when to buy, as I don't want to buy something that they will have a better version of for the same general price range a month later. I know this is total "first-world problems" here, but it is an audio forum :wink: so how are the rest of y'all approaching your Schiit stack, given the company's quick innovation cycles?
B1Pj6X.jpg

HlDIy9.jpg

Nov 15, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #130,518 of 150,657
so how are the rest of y'all approaching your Schiit stack, given the company's quick innovation cycles?
My theory is and always has been to buy what I need when I need it. Unless there is something I am unhappy about why change for the sake of change? It's like anything else, there will always be something new in the future since that's how companies stay in business. If a product is a genuine step forward, I might buy it even if I don't really need it (Loki Max for example) or if something is being sold at a price I can't resist and I might need it in the future (Freya N.) But as you so correctly point out, this is a first-world hobby and an enthusiast's forum so be guided by your pocketbook. If you are one of those who must have the latest and greatest at all times, and you can afford it, what's the harm?

Nov 15, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #130,521 of 150,657
[…] They just came out with Kara, so will there be a Kara+ replacing Freya+? […]
I don't think so. The name change was to differentiate the solid-state preamp from the tubed one, make things a bit clearer for the rest of us. I expect Freya to remain Freya. But will there eventually be a new one? Probably! Though I honestly struggle to see how you could improve upon the existing one, apart from a few minor things like copy-pasting Kara's reworked remote volume control code to make the Freya's just as responsive.

[…] so should I hold off on upgrading my current Aegir to Tyr? […]
Uhm, NO?
Sorry to all Aegir lovers out there — and I do still love mine! — but you don't wait for an Aegir 2 if you can afford a pair of Tyrs and have the space needed for them. You just don't. It's not even a "more expensive or bigger is better" thing. The Tyrs make the Aegirs sound like (sorry, this hurts even me to say 😖) toys.
Jason has designed a lot of neat Schiit, but those Tyrs… Man, they are something!

[…] The question is when to buy, as I don't want to buy something that they will have a better version of for the same general price range a month later. […]
What @Ableza said.

[…] I know this is total "first-world problems" here, but it is an audio forum :wink: so how are the rest of y'all approaching your Schiit stack, given the company's quick innovation cycles?
When something comes out that tickles my curiosity (like Folkvangr or Mjolnir 3), or that is a true and clear upgrade to something I already own (like the Tyrs or Yggy OG), then I'll probably buy it.
The problem with the first part is that a lot of stuff tickles my curiosity, and I have yet to send something back… 😬
But as already mentioned above: It's a fun hobby, so what's the harm.

Those speakers are low-key triggering my arachnophobia… 😳

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #130,522 of 150,657
I don't think so. The name change was to differentiate the solid-state preamp from the tubed one, make things a bit clearer for the rest of us. I expect Freya to remain Freya. But will there eventually be a new one? Probably! Though I honestly struggle to see how you could improve upon the existing one, apart from a few minor things like copy-pasting Kara's reworked remote volume control code to make the Freya's just as responsive.

Uhm, NO?
Sorry to all Aegir lovers out there — and I do still love mine! — but you don't wait for an Aegir 2 if you can afford a pair of Tyrs and have the space needed for them. You just don't. It's not even a "more expensive or bigger is better" thing. The Tyrs make the Aegirs sound like (sorry, this hurts even me to say 😖) toys.
Jason has designed a lot of neat Schiit, but those Tyrs… Man, they are something!

What @Ableza said.

When something comes out that tickles my curiosity (like Folkvangr or Mjolnir 3), or that is a true and clear upgrade to something I already own (like the Tyrs or Yggy OG), then I'll probably buy it.
The problem with the first part is that a lot of stuff tickles my curiosity, and I have yet to send something back… 😬

I HATE spiders.

Nov 15, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #130,524 of 150,657
..... When something comes out that tickles my curiosity (like Folkvangr or Mjolnir 3), or that is a true and clear upgrade to something I already own (like the Tyrs or Yggy OG), then I'll probably buy it.
But as already mentioned above: It's a fun hobby, so what's the harm. ...
That was a problem I suffered from. I never returned anything as well and the Schiit just kept piling up.

Last year, with the diagnosis of a hearing issue that caused distortion when listening to music at certain frequencies it was time to do something else. I needed to leave my 3 story condo for a 1 floor apartment of half the square footage and move to a nearby retirement community, (after significant downsizing of all my "stuff"). With some counseling and a 12 step program, I managed to sell off all my audio gear (around 40 pieces) and 5 pair of HP's with the exception of JOT-R and HSA-1b and SR1a (I may still have Loki or + hidden in some corner of my new digs). I kept them for use when watching movies and not wanting to disturb others, although it was pointed out to me by a friend that the neighbors were mostly probably deaf anyway. My nickname around campus is "The Kid". And I'm 76!

Once I was set up in my new apartment I purchased my first 4K TV. Running back and forth to adjust the volume became an onerous task when using my RAAL.

So what did I do?

I purchased a Rag 2 and Loki Maxi for the remote controls for use with the RAAL and 4K player. (The TV had it's own remote and the 4K players volume was buried in several pages of settings that needed to be drilled down into every time a change was wanted-very poor design and feature set but superb PQ).

Bottom line: There is no escaping the Schiit!

Nov 15, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #130,526 of 150,657
My pile of Schiit is growing on my end at a slow rate. It started with a Asgard 3 followed by a Modi, and now it consists of the following: Asgard 3, Bifrost 2/64, 2 x Gjallarhorn amps, and a Mjolnir 3 on the way. My main headphone amp at the moment is a Soloist 3XP, and I am hoping the Mjolnir 3 will take its place :wink:. I am also curious about the Valhalla 3, and I might pick one up after I get my next pair of headphones depending on reviews.

Nov 15, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #130,527 of 150,657

Uhm, NO?

What @Ableza said.

All good points! As for the arachnophobia-inducing Tekton speakers, I gave them to my kiddo and replaced them with some Piega Ace 50s. I tried the Tekton, they were okay for a bit, but in person they have the look and finish of a DIY project. My Sonus faber in my main system and even the comparably-priced Piega in my second system are both top-notch fit and finish as well as sound. Helps with the Wife acceptance factor (something that should be added to all audio reviews). I am going to go with the Tyr monoblocks, but if Jason unloads a Schiit tube amp on us two weeks after I buy I will hold my forum-mates responsible :p LOL.

Nov 15, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #130,528 of 150,657
All good points! As for the arachnophobia-inducing Tekton speakers, I gave them to my kiddo and replaced them with some Piega Ace 50s. I tried the Tekton, they were okay for a bit, but in person they have the look and finish of a DIY project. My Sonus faber in my main system and even the comparably-priced Piega in my second system are both top-notch fit and finish as well as sound. Helps with the Wife acceptance factor (something that should be added to all audio reviews). I am going to go with the Tyr monoblocks, but if Jason unloads a Schiit tube amp on us two weeks after I buy I will hold my forum-mates responsible :p LOL.
You won’t be disappointed. The Tyrs are amazing beasts!

Nov 15, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #130,530 of 150,657
I HATE spiders.

I hate ants and flies. In fact spiders clean up a lot of the more undesirable flying or creepy crawlers out there. Spiders run the gamut from so small you can't tell what it is (those are the ones to fear: Brown Recluse and Black Widow to name just two, to those you would instantly recognize as spiders. I believe in South America they have some sizeable ones that make their webs across cave openings to capture bats and another of the non web making but instead of the jumping variety that take down small birds from above in the trees.

Fun Fact: It is said that no matter where you are in the world you are never more than 6 feet from a spider. (Maybe not at the poles I think, unless you brought them with you).

Fun Story: When I was still in Jr High and was walking around the yard one fall day after my dad had, the previous day, trimmed some bushes and the trimmed surfaces were favored by Wolf Spiders for building their maelstrom-like webs. Wolf Spiders look a bit like mini Tarantulas but are harmless. I've picked them up with my hands and nothing ever happened. A particular large green fly was pissing me off. I snagged it out of the air and threw it in one of the larger webs. Up comes the web owner out of the hole and takes care of the fly. I watched while it was wrapping its meal. Unseen by me (and the spider) at the time was a large Praying Mantis sitting above the web motionless until it reached out with its arms and took the spider with blinding speed. The spider never knew what hit it. Moral: no matter how superior you think you are, there's always something out there that can make a meal of you.

When it comes to arachnids I do draw the line at:
1700082243765.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back