Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 11, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #130,337 of 153,158
I actually feel the same re the current Yggy+ OG. I reiterate, what I read re Yggy flavor reviews seems to me to be fully dependent on associated components. Sage @ArmchairPhilosopher told me exactly that when we chatted regarding my path to a DAC upgrade.

Definitely. The more high end you go, the more sensitive everything gets IME where even switching just one interconnect on the chain can break the tonal balance of the system. When I perform my DAC comparison this is dependent on the associated equipment. BF2 and MIB differences are taken based on what my audio chain is telling me. This is why you can see some experience elevated treble presence while others say that MIB is less incisive in the treble than the OG. My audio chain tells me the latter that MIB is a little less exciting in the treble than the BF2 OG, but it's way more refined overall on most audio chains which is what you would expect with DAC upgrades

Nov 11, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #130,338 of 153,158
I identified the tube giving me the troubles. First, I followed the instructions on the link you sent, but there was still crackling and static. I then cleaned the pins with a glass-fiber pen and a lint-free alcohol wipe. Finally, I put it in a previously unused adapter and all seems to be fine so far via a few minutes of listening. I'll let it burn in for a few hours and see how things sound later today. 🤞
Yep, you're following the 'check this' list. Sometimes it's challenging to awaken a 60+ year old.....

Nov 11, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #130,339 of 153,158
I just came back from Canjam Dallas and had the opportunity to listen to Midgard, Mjolner 3 with the new Yggy MIB, and I got to ask Jason a few questions and that was awesome to meet the dude running the show.

There is also one more bit of hardware that hasn’t gone live yet and idk if I am allowed to talk about it, but I got pics of it and listened to music with it… is it open season if it was at CanJam? Someone let me know and I may post pics of it.

Thoughts: Mjolner 3 is the most dynamic amp I have listened to music with in my entire life. It also was the most dynamic amp at Canjam in my humble opinion. The new unannounced product was very impressive and I think will do very well. Midgard sounded really good, and it sounds to me sufficiently different than Asgard 3 which imho means there won’t be a battle between the two amps.

Thanks to all the people at Schiit for making a memorable canjam, I had a blast at my first audio related convention.

Nov 11, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #130,340 of 153,158
I just came back from Canjam Dallas …

There is also one more bit of hardware that hasn’t gone live yet and idk if I am allowed to talk about it, but I got pics of it and listened to music with it… is it open season if it was at CanJam? Someone let me know and I may post pics of it.
Do tell!

Nov 11, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #130,341 of 153,158
I just came back from Canjam Dallas and had the opportunity to listen to Midgard, Mjolner 3 with the new Yggy MIB, and I got to ask Jason a few questions and that was awesome to meet the dude running the show.

Thoughts: Mjolner 3 is the most dynamic amp I have listened to music with in my entire life. It also was the most dynamic amp at Canjam in my humble opinion. The new unannounced product was very impressive and I think will do very well. Midgard sounded really good, and it sounds to me sufficiently different than Asgard 3 which imho means there won’t be a battle between the two amps.

Thanks to all the people at Schiit for making a memorable canjam, I had a blast at my first audio related convention.
If it's at CanJam, it's public knowledge! Share away!!

Nov 11, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #130,342 of 153,158
Okay, so there’s a new Magni… a discrete one that has a modular dac chip option. And I tried it. And it sounds so good! If yall already knew about this then I’ve hyped up a nothing burger but I don’t think I’ve seen it around on here yet.

IMG_2914.jpeg
IMG_2913.jpeg

Nov 11, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #130,344 of 153,158
Nice, thanks! Do you know if there is a multibit dac option?
I asked Jason and he said there’s no way they could get to the price point (189 with the dac card in the magni); I didn’t ask if there was a possibility of multi bit, just asked if it was a delta sigma dac card, which it is. A 9018 based card with no imd hump.

Nov 11, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #130,345 of 153,158
Now if Schiit could release a gadget that undoes dynamic range compression and a lot of the other sound destroying tactics
Funny that you say gadget, because this is one of the functions mentioned for "The Gadget" DSP product that Schiit has been working on for years.

Nov 11, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #130,346 of 153,158
I’m thoroughly enjoying my Mjolnir 3 and Yggy A2. It’s the combo that has gotten me to a place where I think I can ignore the whole world of tubes. It’s such a great pairing with my Meze Elite, specifically with the new Angled Alcantara pads. I use push pull mode with no feedback on the MJ3, and it’s magical.

One little issue has cropped up with the gain settings of the MJ3 in the last few days though. I found myself subjectively preferring high gain overall, but my unit has unfortunately developed a bit of static-like noise when in high gain only in the right channel. The amp is silent in low gain luckily, so that’s what I’ve been using since the issue started.

I tried different headphones and cables. I also moved my cell phone across the room, but nothing affected it. The static noise does not change with the position of the volume knob. The noise is also the same regardless of the mode the amp is in (push pull or SE Class A).

I’ve reached out to Schiit support, so we’ll see if there is anything that can be tried before I resort to sending the amp in for repair. The amp sounds amazing in low gain as well, so it’s tempting to skip the hassle of a return to Schiit. I’ll report back if there is an easy fix that might help other MJ3 owners that might come across the same issue in the future.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #130,347 of 153,158
No need for even a top end gear. Even a BF2 > Piety (High Gain) > ETA Mini Closed is enough to even show this expansive soundstage and layering more than decently.
I'm saving up for a top-end streamer/dac (hint: @earnmyturns makes me envious) (saving for new windows stopping me).

Once I have that, what's a good step up from my Mini-C?

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #130,348 of 153,158
I've never heard the Gungnir MB drive speakers, but it certainly does a great job of driving my HD800 headphones, especially with an amp that gets out of the way (see signature line). I wouldn't want the "sound stage" any wider, it's just right (for me, as always, and YMMV).
Happy listening! :)
You're really missing out. A GMB sourcing to good, neutral speakers with a high-bandwidth amp is fantastic. It provides just the right amount of wetness.

Nov 11, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #130,349 of 153,158
Nov 11, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #130,350 of 153,158
I'm saving up for a top-end streamer/dac (hint: @earnmyturns makes me envious) (saving for new windows stopping me).

Once I have that, what's a good step up from my Mini-C?

You would be looking at the Atrium, Caldera, Clears or Utopia (highly recommend) for a really good step up. Those should pair very well with the MJ3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back